Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Theorycrafted Apartment Exploit

Let's say my guild has a lot of gatherables it wants to move across the world but doesn't want to bother with caravans. What's the downside of putting everything in apartment chests and having the mayor destroy the apartment building? If I understand the mechanics correctly, everything would be safely mailed to us.

1. Do you think this would work?
2. If so, should it be allowed?
3. If you wanted to squashed this exploit, what would you change about the mail/apartment systems?

Wiki References:

Gatherables and processed goods that were stored in in-node housing and apartment storage chests become lootable upon a successful siege against the parent node.

If the mayor decides to destroy apartment buildings all items and layouts will be mailed to the owner.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oho, that's a fun one...

But honestly if it DID work like that (which would depend entirely on what exactly 'mailed to' means)...

I think I'd just let it rock.

This sounds like way more work, to have a whole Node under your control so heavily that you could do this and remain Mayor, affect only the people you wanted to affect, and then probably have to rebuild the Apartments after that?

Sure it prevents you from being subject to PvP in a Caravan, but it has political risks now instead, at least sometimes.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    My assumption is that what will be mailed to you is a certificate for the resources, not the resources themself.

You would then need to claim the resources at the node in which you lost them (or perhaps a nearby node).

The reason I assume this will be the case is because this is what will happen if you transport materials most of the way via caravan - if an attacker takes some they take possession of the actual materials at the point of origin of the caravan, rather than taking possession of the materials in situ.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    An easy fix for this would be to have an NPC in each Village+ node that you are able to reclaim your items from if the buildings in that Node are ever destroyed.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Q: What's the downside of putting everything in apartment chests and having the mayor destroy the apartment building?

A: Mostly Economy messing exploit potential, loss of resources used for the building construction and loss of Reputation of the mayor.

Q: Do you think this would work?

A: Yes.

Q: If so, should it be allowed?

A: Nah, i would probably restrict its exploit potential.

Q: If you wanted to squashed this exploit, what would you change about the mail/apartment systems?

A: Making the player go near the destroyed apartment building to receive their items.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I dont think mayors and functioning node buildings will have anything to do with in-node player housing.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean...
    Who says that the Mayor is in your guild?
    And why would your guild be the only player characters in that apartment building?
    Do you have to be a citizen with an apartment building or house in order to retrieve those items?
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mayors at higher stages make decisions whether to upgrade the instanced housing with higher population caps. You have to own property to become a citizen. You do not have to become a citizen if you don't want to. The discussed mechanic is it will be a choice that has consequences like other systems. If you choose to use one of the available build slots to upgrade the instanced apartments, and thus increase the possibility of more citizens for your node as mayor, you will be giving up a slot that you can use for another feature in that node settlement.

As to whether mayors can remove previous features and upgrades has never been confirmed. So the exploit pointed out is probably moot. On node destruction the "layout" of your house, apartment, or freehold is mailed to you. They have also never confirmed what happens with things in storage in those houses other than crafted items can not be destroyed. You may not be able to access them until you have another form of housing in another node. (since the one you were in is blasted back to zero)
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Although mentioned above that we don't have information to confirm or deny this, a Mayor's job isn't going to be to demolish buildings, they can only allocate what the space will be utilized for.

The only way I was able to determine that a building in a node can be destroyed or "deleted" is during a siege.

So I guess, if your guild can store up stuff in node housing, orchestrate a siege on that node, win that siege, destroy the building and get the items mailed to you, then does it really seem worth it?
    Aq0KG2f.png