Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Predatory FOMO emails

I was looking forward to this game, but honestly these emails are a huge red flag. A lot of us have had enough with this psychological nonsense creeping into Every. Single. Aspect. Of gaming. Your target audience is comprised, in large part, of people with high degrees of susceptibility to exploitation. It's completely tonedeaf, especially in light of Diablo pulling the curtain back entirely with its awful monetization.

I'm pretty much fed up with the mind games at this point. And I know I'm not the only one. I hope the extra quick cash you make from fomo sales is worth losing players. Because you lost me.

Comments

• Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    first
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Vic20 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much fed up with the mind games at this point. And I know I'm not the only one. I hope the extra quick cash you make from fomo sales is worth losing players. Because you lost me.
    Ok :)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I was looking forward to this game, but honestly these emails are a huge red flag. A lot of us have had enough with this psychological nonsense creeping into Every. Single. Aspect. Of gaming. Your target audience is comprised, in large part, of people with high degrees of susceptibility to exploitation. It's completely tonedeaf, especially in light of Diablo pulling the curtain back entirely with its awful monetization.

If you are not strong willed enough to be able to resist the "mind games" of monthly cosmetics, you are probably not fit for the "mind games" of open world PvP either.

Sure, Diablo is pretty shit, but that is what you get for even looking at a Blizzard game right now. What Intrepid are doing is offering cosmetics that have no effect on you if 6ou buy them or do not buy them.

The only mind games here are the ones you are playing with yourself.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    79a547b3-a1a9-48a8-91b8-d7f189503ad9_text.gif

Hopefully the project will survive this setback.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    How do you go about life?
    You might struggle less if you drop all the fancy words and learn to let go.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    The best thing about this post is seeing all the +500$ backers going full white knight against the OP that has a good point. "Last call on shop packages" I'm glad my email account already flags those as Spam every month.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean...I don't even look at the e-mails.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't like the sale of cosmetics either Liniker, I've said as much before on these forums. Not on every point, but to some extent I agree with the OP. It just is what it is though. It's the business climate were in across most genres of video games.

If I was going to make a post somewhere about it, it'd probably be on one of the forums for a game whose cash shop sells p2w things. Ashes cash shop is pretty harmless in comparison.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    v79u4tbukn2p.gif
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    The best thing about this post is seeing all the +500$ backers going full white knight against the OP that has a good point. "Last call on shop packages" I'm glad my email account already flags those as Spam every month.

No mate. You are wrong. Do you create an account and reply to every spam mails forums or website? Or do you just block and move on with your day? This has nothing to do with $500 backers or your other generalization.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I feel like these types of threads always sound better in thought than they come out in execution..

The thought is like-minded people will pour from the woodwork, and a huge rebellion will begin, while the company realized the error of their ways and repents and begs OP for their forgiveness. It's a nice dream.

It really is a nice dream.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    No mate. You are wrong.

Nope, you are wrong. (lol)

img]
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Liniker wrote: »
    No mate. You are wrong.

Nope, you are wrong. (lol)

No, you're wrong.

The OP does not have a good point, and you yourself provided the proof of that.

The OP said Intrepid were playing mind games with e-mails and such about cosmetics. You said that you just have then sent to your spam folder - which is something the OP can do.

Thus, the issue is with the OP, not Intrepid. If they do not wish to be informed about the immanent removal of cosmetics from sale, they can simply not be informed about it.

So, with that in mind, what is their point, exactly?
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    No, you're wrong.

Ok, you are right Noaani, and I love you.

img]
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Big plot twist, yall both wrong B) I don't own any packages and I defend the monetization system. And I'm not even its target audience!
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Who actually reads their email?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Who actually reads their email?
    100% this. I check my E-mail maybe once a month unless I'm expecting something like confirmation something I ordered has been shipped. I bought my Alpha key during the Kickstarter and haven't bothered looking at the cosmetics since.......I will be ordering a hoodie if they ever start selling merch though :)
  • Options
    BalanzBalanz Member
    There's another reason Intrepid is selling Cosmetics, and it's not simply to improve cash flow and pay for the development of in-game assets.

Once Ashes goes live, revenue will be a mix of subscription fees AND cosmetics sales. Fishes and Whales.

By selling Cosmetics now, before Launch, they get a much more realistic idea of how much the Whales will be willing to buy, as well as what they actually want.

Thanks largely to Whales (Steven being the Leviathan among Whales), I don't even need to Pledge a dollar to see Ashes through completion. I'm not going to begrudge the Whales or Intrepid anything, I am just along for the ride at this point.

Right now, I don't need to Pledge unless I want to play Alpha 2 or the Betas.

Thank you, Cosmetics Packages.
  • Options
    They've already stated they're funded to completion. You're probably best just putting this development journey out of your mind. When it releases & its #1, you'll hear about it and you'll be back. No shame in that. This journey isn't meant for everyone.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    Limited time offers are pretty common. I don't think AoC is doing anything nefarious with cosmetics (though it would be nice if they explained exactly how they work).
  • Options
    There is a valid point behind the rant because some European countries has taken actions against aggressive marketing in games. The main focus is on loot boxes but some same elements as fomo is on that list as well.

Anyway, Ashes marketing is not that bad but I understand if it annoys some people. The main emphasis on those monthly letters have been selling cosmetics and actual progression of the development comes secondary. This has continued years and some people actually buys those cosmetic packages because of the fear of missing out, "last call on shop packages".
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited June 2022

I can live with FOMO cosmetics in the cash shop. If intrepid needs money, cosmetics are, imo, completely fair game because they do not affect the gameplay.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Anyways.
    Ferryman wrote: »
    There is a valid point behind the rant because some European countries has taken actions against aggressive marketing in games. The main focus is on loot boxes but some same elements as fomo is on that list as well.

Anyway, Ashes marketing is not that bad but I understand if it annoys some people. The main emphasis on those monthly letters have been selling cosmetics and actual progression of the development comes secondary. This has continued years and some people actually buys those cosmetic packages because of the fear of missing out, "last call on shop packages".

Such posts as the OP should be given 0 ground or encouragement/"understanding".

The account is one days old and the language is full of marketing jargon. This is not how an annoyed user acts. This is a deliberetly harmful BS post. As if that person wouldnt play a new mmo when AOC releashes. In a heartbeat they would.

I wish suchs topics were removed straight away. They are simple attacks on IS abd AoC. Just delete them. They are not even refering to its development.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

If emails about non-p2w unique monthly cosmetics are a "red flag" for you,
    i would say thats quite an interesting hill to die on in this genre,

I have no idea whatsoever how you managed to throw in Diablo immortal mobile Insane P2W monetization in relativisation to Ashes cosmetic emails.

Oh yeah the "mind games", what are you gonna call it next?
    Exploitative marketing? Manipulative and greedy psychological tricks?

To be honest, your post is either pure ignorance or just straight up dishonesty.
    I would expect the second, but who knows, you might just be lost....
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    m4eNRNV.png
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't understand how a monthly letter is predatory.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2022
    Ah... Vic20.. there is a memory. My first PC was a Commodore Vic 20!

Even bought a 5kb expansion. It played Ultima 1... at the time, I never imagined graphics could be better
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    akabear wrote: »
    It played Ultima 1... at the time, I never imagined graphics could be better

Ah, the good ole days of high def orange and black.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I don't understand how a monthly letter is predatory.

And from where you got the idea that I have said so?
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    Why are people crying about cosmetics? Nothing they offer you gives you any advantage. Nothing changed.