Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

About mandatory PvP.

123457»

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Balanz wrote: »
    Aren't you concerned that the Alpha 2 Player Base, having paid at least $250 up front, will react to Corruption very differently from the Launch Population, who will be more numerous, and less invested?
    No. We paid that money to test the Ashes gameplay and help support the devs as they work on the features we want to see perpetuated in future MMORPGs. With better experience, it should take as long to design and implement similar features, like Nodes, in subsequent games.

I paid $500. If Ashes ends up being too PvP-centric for my tastes, I won't play.
    And hope that I won't have to wait another 5+ years for a game with Nodes and Events that feels more comfortable for me.
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I don't understand you you don't see mmorpgs as subpar when you are comparing to a game focused as a rpg. MMORPG have a lot of filler and repeat stuff compared to a rpg meant to be more of a personalized experience. I don't really see a point getting into the extra details on every way a rpg will have stronger rpg elements and immersion compared to a mmorpg....Nor is that a bad thing people play mmorpgs for different elements then a single / multiplayer rpg can't give, being the mmo part.
    What? An MMORPG is an RPG.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 24
    Dygz wrote: »
    I don't understand you you don't see mmorpgs as subpar when you are comparing to a game focused as a rpg. MMORPG have a lot of filler and repeat stuff compared to a rpg meant to be more of a personalized experience. I don't really see a point getting into the extra details on every way a rpg will have stronger rpg elements and immersion compared to a mmorpg....Nor is that a bad thing people play mmorpgs for different elements then a single / multiplayer rpg can't give, being the mmo part.
    What? An MMORPG is an RPG.

Honestly don't want to get deep into this, half the content is not voice in mmorpgs most the time, lack of cinematics, combat int he past was very meh with tab taget (has been improved recently), not that strong a connection tot he characters int he story, pull of emotions are not as strong since you aren't as connected, things in mmorpgs are much more generic.

Id be very confused if someone said a mmorpg has the same impact as rpgs Dragons dogma, mass effect, cyberpunk 2077, fallout, final fantasy, etc.

r...r...r..r...r...r..... is the story in a mmo (skip)
    Was there a point where you didn't realize this was a PvX game with ashes of creation? Or you knew but you wanted them to make it move pve friendly anyway?
    I don't think I said anything about making Ashes more PvE friendly.
    Ashes has plenty of objective-based, consensual PvP.
    If the non-consensual PvP is too much for my tastes, I simply won't play the game.
    What I said is that you can't make people who don't enjoy non-consensual PvP enjoy non-consensual PvP. It might be possible to make non-consensual PvP more tolerable.

That isn't true you are thinking like a pve player and trying to create something you want. owpvp is completely fine and doesn't fail because its owPvP, its something people enjoy and always has been apart of a lot of mmorpg.
    OWPvP in MMORPGs is niche. In MMORPGs with both PvP servers and PvE-Only servers, most of the population plays on PvE servers.
    OWPvP in MMORPGs might be completely fine for those who enjoy it. But it's not particularly popular compared to MMORPG players who don't like non-consensual PvP combat.

Though there is a difference having a PvE experience with added pvp simply because its fun for people. Most mmorps like that weren't created with PvX in mind but pve with added PvP. Generally those mmorpgs had more money and their target was making the most money possible. Some mmorpgs that had a focus on PvP were smaller companies without the budget to create content towards mainly WoW or some of the other larger studios so them failing ins't much of a surprise as if they were pve it would have gone down the same way. There was no really competing against companies that had more money, strong ip, strong player base, etc.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
    Traditionally, most MMORPGs are designed for PvE first and then have PvP tacked on. I'm not sure which games you consider to be PvX. If I can play on a PvE-Only server, the game is not PvX, even if the game also has a PvP server.

MMORPGs with a focus on PvP will likely be created by a smaller company because that is a niche market for MMORPGs. Them failing is not much of a surprise.
    I think I said that. We agree.

This point I'm never going to understand....someone kills once maybe twice through the day so what. You don't need to PvP them, just either go back tot he area and let them get more corruption, or find a new spot to do your mob killing and gathering. If you see someone watching you for long periods of time like they are trying to see if you are endlessly collecting n and never dropping stuff at town leave and clear your loot inventory. nothing is stopping you from playing the game and enjoying it you don't need to fight back, the system will protect you.
    Depends on whether I've already had my fill of PvP for the day.
    Also depends on how much time it takes for me to recover from those death penalties.
    Most importantly, I'm going to be pissed if someone else forces me to partake in an activity I'm not in the mood for.
    Even if it's food I like, if someone tries to force me to eat more food when I'm already full and no longer in the mood to eat anything, I'm going to be pissed off. That should not be a thing.

And, you are right, in Ashes... I will not fight back and force them to accrue Corruption. But, Corruption has to work well enough that I die from non-censual PvP no more than twice per game session. I'll have to test to know if I can stomach twice per game session.

And, yes, what pisses me off in other MMORPGs - and cause me to eventually move to PvE-Only servers, is when I've spent an hour defending a town from an enemy faction and I have my fill - then I leave and go find a secluded area to pick some flowers while I'm waiting for my PvP-flag to deflag... and some asshat from an enemy faction decides to fight me. Even though I tell them I'm no longer in the mood for PvP - come find me tomorrow - we can spend another hour on PvP then.
    Since that's not the way PvPers roll - I prefer not to play on servers where non-consensual PvP is possilble.
    Corruption needs to deter non-consensual PvP such that it is comfortably rare for me, else I won't play Ashes.

PvX is the way in the form of something new.
    No matter what you want to think any new mmorpg isn't going to have content that will ever compare to the older mmorpgs with years of additional content and refinement. I honestly do think ashes is on a good path to having a good amount of content (in the form of PvX so pvp and pve working togethe) but I'm still realistic. Though in how they are doing the sandbox with player interaction between each other and the content in the game its being spread out in a smart with and having the player interaction that people want from games both in a PvE and PvP sense. owPvP being important even if its only 10% of the pvp in the game as it adds an atmosphere that will create moments that will be memorable.
    Um. I agree that consensual, objective-based PvP in PvX MMORPGs with Nodes is the best forward. It helps create a dynamic, ongoing gameplay loop while the devs work on new content. Rather than a static endgame that lasts for years.
    But, the same is not true for non-consensual PvP, which will likely remain a niche market in MMORPGs.

Ashes is a Themebox.

I dunno what you mean by owPvP being only 10% of the PvP. Pretty much all the PvP in Ashes takes place in the open world, AFAIK. Battlegrounds PvP occurs in the open world.
  • Is it bad that I'm upset that he has claimed to play dota for 20 years and WC3 hadn't even been out for 20 years yet?

Just me?
    Ok nevermind...
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    ebpz0dzqqa3a.png

• Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Battlegrounds shouldn't be in Ow my perception of that is different. When I say open would I'm talking about where you have to flag up to kill someone and not any other kind of PvP, also not including guild wars that is a different topic where you have to tie in social reputation.
  • DrPlagueDrPlague Member
    Marpo wrote: »
    We've reached a certain age where we just want to sit in our chairs and enjoy a good game, just stay in the predictable zone of bots and AI.

Just like me, there are many players who hate PvP, and who don't want 1% of it. I hope the kind of frustrations we're going to have are just not being able to kill a very difficult boss. I hope PvP combats in Caravans, World PvP and Nodes for example, don't take us away from AoC.

Developers, I'm really excited about what's being presented. It's all very beautiful! I'm super excited for the next tests and the upcoming release!

Playing AOC is your chance to embrace death and learn to enjoy it. AOC is not going to be like all other games which is why it's going to be insanely popular. Join a guild and whenever you get attacked just be faster than the other guy in your group. Think of it like fish and sharks, some fish might get eaten but not all.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    ebpz0dzqqa3a.png

In July...
    So next month... And Dota's first version was a year later

Sorry, I just played it a LOT...
    🙃
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    ebpz0dzqqa3a.png

In July...

🙃

Dota was before it was dota, that was just when it started to become more main steam as dota just ripped off other modes.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    ebpz0dzqqa3a.png

In July...

🙃

Dota was before it was dota, that was just when it started to become more main steam as dota just ripped off other modes.

I know
    It's first iteration was a tower defense with heroes
    My friends and I were all over it back in high school.
    edited June 24
    Battlegrounds shouldn't be in Ow my perception of that is different. When I say open would I'm talking about where you have to flag up to kill someone and not any other kind of PvP, also not including guild wars that is a different topic where you have to tie in social reputation.
    Open world means not taking place in an instance.
    Really has very little, if anything, to do with PvP flagging.
    In Ashes, Battlegrounds refers to PvP combat that does not include the death penalties associated with fighting non-combatants: Sieges, Guild Wars and Caravans.
  • NishUKNishUK Member
    When i say sub par I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about the quality of the RPG elements in the game. No long convo really needed for this i don't think it is that important.

@Azherae used Sales Figures on @Mag7spy : It was ineffective.

FF14 is avaliable for consoles, has Final Fantasy in the name, I'm still hugely pissed off by the fact I bought hot garbage like 13 and 15 (did get a refund on 15 at least thank god!).

Final Fantasy is a manipulative force, if someone says name RPG's you will mention it, exactly like if FIFA with football. Sales are an incredibly weak arguement for quality in regards to top named franchises.