Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Do you think the game will live up to it's hype?

Me and a couple of my friends and probably most of you as well are hyped for the game but there were so many other promising games (not in this genre specifically) that didn't live up to the player's expectations (ignore the unrealistic expectations).

What do you think?

Comments

• PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    Hype specifically is someone letting their emotions take over and fantasizing something as more than it is......... i dont think hype by definition can be lived up to.

Ashes has a strong team behind it, is taking strides in the terms of technology, and doesnt seem to be at huge risk of running out of funding any time soon. Has a very good chance of making a final product.

But also take time into account. If this game comes out before 2025? Hype. What about 2030? Ehhh, glad it finally released. Past 2030? Why did they bother releasing all those hype videos? Seems rather scam-ish when the game was still nearly 10 years away?
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    All hyped games live on unrealistic expectations. I'm definitely very excited for Ashes, mainly because it has all the features I love in mmos, but it will never live up to the, already huge, expectations people have attributed to it. And the closer we get to the release, the bigger those expectations will become. It's only downhill from here imo (and by "here" I really mean 2020's Peon video :D ).
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    It's certainly possible. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Crow3, the sunlight im always missing in my life.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ArzenaI wrote: »
    Me and a couple of my friends and probably most of you as well are hyped for the game but there were so many other promising games (not in this genre specifically) that didn't live up to the player's expectations (ignore the unrealistic expectations).

What do you think?

I believe this game will live up to 95% of its hype, and if it fails some it will be because the community forgot about something and the developers did too, and someone will come around years later and go 'hey you guys were gonna do this and you didn't'.

Let's go Tristan/$SelfInsertDevNameHereYouKnowILoveYouAllExceptThatGuyYouKnowWhoYouAreToo:(!
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not for most people that still don't understand what Ashes is trying to be, but I'm 100% the target audience for this game, so for me, it will be amazing
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Crow3, the sunlight im always missing in my life.

Heh - I have no way to predict the future, and I can't determine what hype is most valuable to the OP, since it's entirely subjective. So I can only state the obvious common denominator of 'well, maybe' ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Depends on what hype you're comparing it to. Some people are being idiotic and thinking it'll be the greatest game to ever be created. Those people are morons.

I just want it to be like what ArcheAge could have been if it hadn't been ruined by P2W, exploits, poor management, and poor updates.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have to release the game first.
    We'll get a better idea of how close they match the hype once we test Alpha 2.
  • BalanzBalanz Member
    For me, the real question is whether PvP will drive the game as intended by the designers.

Because the Alpha 2 player base is self selected by a significant financial cost, they may react very differently to the systems presented than the Launch population.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited June 2022
    Well, to err on the side of PenguinPaladin's sunshine... If you want Intrepid to achieve their hype, you can participate in alpha / beta testing to help calibrate the corruption system appropriately. Corruption is the key guardrail to keep PvX on track, if it's not tested thoroughly, it will fail at scale.

Now, I think Intrepid can make adjustments quickly post go-live, but there will be a cost in retention and short-term word of mouth that could be pretty detrimental.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Well, to err on the side of PenguinPaladin's sunshine... If you want Intrepid to achieve their hype, you can participate in alpha / beta testing to help calibrate the corruption system appropriately. Corruption is the key guardrail to keep PvX on track, if it's not tested thoroughly, it will fail at scale.

Now, I think Intrepid can make adjustments quickly post go-live, but there will be a cost in retention and short-term word of mouth that could be pretty detrimental.

That might also mean some people explicitly choosing to be more aggressive than they would be at the START of a game's life, just to 'see if they get away with it'. I'm still deciding if my gang is going to actually do this, but the other issue is that it won't work if people who 'could Bounty Hunt but wouldn't want to spend all their time doing it' immediately jump to doing it because it's a new experience.

This is gonna be one of the hardest tests to orchestrate I've ever seen anyone attempt. Good luck to whoever's on behavioural metrics at Intrepid. Blink twice if you need us to randomly kill more people.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• CROW3CROW3 Member
    We’ll need a Discord NLP parser with Beta testing streams to figure out when folks cry’s the most and when. 😳
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • By the time the game comes out, there will be sooooo many videos and alpha/beta streams and developer updates and nodes 3 etc etc that I think if someone goes in with the expectation for the game to be something it's not, that's on them. The transparency of the development from this early on I think will result in more players than usual who will be underhyped (because they see/saw old videos) if anything. It will be just as hyped as any other new western MMO like new world but with a lot more resources for players to gauge if it's what they're into.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This isn't a question you can answer for anyone but yourself.

You set your own level of hype, and only you can judge if a game "lives up" to that level.

The answer is usually "no, it doesn't" but you can't really say that for anyone else.

I think personally this question is a waste of time and completely irrelevant due to that, as it's a question you need to be asking yourself, and if you think someone else is going to answer that for you, then you have some deep deep soul searching to do.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited June 2022
    I think the game will be above mediocre on release and great when it gets tuned from years of balancing updates. Similar to Albion online.
  • OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    We’ll need a Discord NLP parser with Beta testing streams to figure out when folks cry’s the most and when. 😳

The corruption system could be so weak that you can only kill 1 green a week or your character spontaneously explodes. The tears will still come. They will form a mega tsunami that overtakes the land. Steven should inform U.S. authorities that launch is imminent to allow adequate time to prepare.

Dygz will be in the water with a tubular flotation device. He'll have a football helmet on and be swinging a pool noodle wildly in all directions yelling, "I'm not READY to pvp YET!"

Noaani will be on the newly formed beach area with a lounge chair and pina colada discussing the merits of Everquest.

NishUK will literally be a rabid megalodon. He will complain there's not enough to eat around here.

I'm going surfing. Steven will be on his yacht.

• WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im hyped ever since the beginning, First game I ever backed too. Idk call me a white night but i dont see any other studio making a non p2w game, and with all the oldskool features from l2, early rs, early pwi, early flyff early archage etc. With good roleplaying too. Just nobody else is doing it and if someone starts doing it- it will take many years again. Now they can screw up ofcource but at that point il just give up on mmos and keep playing something casually like pvp in gw2 lel.
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • pt6k0ew5rbhi.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    That depends entirely on the hype level, doesn't it? At the end of the day, it's still going to be an MMORPG with a lot of familiar gameplay loops. Hopefully very good loops though.

I think the main saving grace in terms of not letting people down is the non-NDA alpha and betas. People will know exactly what to expect at release in general terms, tempering most of the more unrealistic expectations.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Though, @Nerror will get some 10 min rifts. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NishUKNishUK Member
    edited June 2022
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    NishUK will literally be a rabid megalodon. He will complain there's not enough to eat around here.

OH SURE!
    Ignore my words wanting to promote casual and normal folks to be happy with playing megalodon's xD

I'm glad your getting my prehistoric vibes about ow pvp but I just want to be clear, I really care for people, I don't want a one track game and I want everyone playing to their strengths. An mmo doesn't just have to be about high octane PvP or PvE and for me games like Archeage and Ultima Online inspired and gave me hope.

Atm I just hope people don't obsess with how gear should be because focusing on that and the typical vertical path just leads ultimately to too much division that I don't like, it pisses me off but there still needs to be a reason and a hunger for the economy, which is so important!
    I hope this game will hype people up in all sorts of ways from improving their gold gain in their own enjoyable way, farmer, shop keeper, hunter, battle pet chicken fighter experts, guild thieves, treasure map explorers, caravan trader, tame seller, crafters and more that all ties in with world function.
  • I hope it will. We have got a plenty of eye candy but still most of the mechanics and systems are missing and therefore, it might still take years.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • CutieCutie Member
    edited June 2022
    Depends on what you interpret as hype...

For me, I am very hyped about an MMO that has OWPVP where players pay attention to their surroundings and are more immmersed when they notice a stealthed rogue in the distance and other players moving in groups and solo farmers and such.

It is definitely not a carebear game which I can't wait to see happen, since I myself play MMO's purely for some challenging PVP action.
    p4wwnc7c8c2t.png
    PvP enthusiast
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    I think the game will be above mediocre on release and great when it gets tuned from years of balancing updates. Similar to Albion online.

The difference is Albion is a low cost game, it's not too expensive for them to maintain (plus they only have NA servers, no EU/SEA/OCE/etc. so even less cost from a server standpoint).

If Ashes is just mediocre at launch then I dunno if they'll be able to sustain development until they can patch the game to a good point.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NishUK wrote: »
    OH SURE!
    Ignore my words wanting to promote casual and normal folks to be happy with playing megalodon's xD

lol I know I know. I'm just trolling. Someone had to be cast for the role though. It was either you or George Black

• MerekMerek Member
    No. The game has great ideas but I don't see a strong enough foundation to hit the mark, plus, the themepark aspects heavily detract from the product. I'd like to be surprised, though.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    All I need is open world PvP and no p2w. It will live up to that.
  • SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The self-imposed hype is manageable and have a high chance of success.

For a very long time, I have been looking for a western MMO set in a high fantasy setting, with a subscription-based model without P2W, good graphics, a holy trinity (tank, healer and dps), player housing, crafting skills and a wide class selection.

The fact that the game is being developed by a former MMO-player, with an ambition of building the best gameplay experience, no publisher to cut back on content or features - or rush a release, a slow and dynamic growth of developers with a keen interest for MMO's, bolster my belief in the project so much so that I actively advertise it's near guaranteed success among friends and family.

This is a passion project built by people that love the genre, and want to see the game become as good as it can be. They are utilizing the most up to date and best supported game engine, have built proprietary tech to improve network code, and consider mounts an untapped potential.

This game not only checks all the must-haves, it checks nearly all the nice-to-haves as well.