Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Glamor VS JSE

MicoMico Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited June 2022 in General Discussion
I am curious to see everyone's opinion on Glamor VS JSE (Job Specific Equipment).

With the current MMO glamor trend we now see in every game, does anyone feel that JSE art styles has become a thing of the past?

I am curious if anyone feels that being able to identify a person's specific job class based on their armor set has any relevance to the enjoyment of their gameplay these days. Of course, I'm not talking about blanket armor that can be worn by multiple classes, but armor art styles that is specific for a single class.

Something that makes your go "Oh cool, that person is a high-level druid !!" when they pass by.

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    I'd definitely prefer that because that would help me in pvp, but people love their god damn transmogs too much so even if the game has those sets, unless they look just incredible - people ain't wearing them.
  • Being able to know something about a character by looking at them would make sense, wouldn't it? Personally, I'm not a fan of glamor skins. If I'm wearing a Battered Breastplate and holding a Rusty Sword, then that's what it should look like IMO. I'd definitely opt to play on a server without skins if given the option.

That said - this isn't a hill worth dying on for me. I just hope the cosmetics don't look glaringly out of place.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Being able to tell class from armor alone in Ashes was never going to be a thing, as there is no class based restriction on armor.

As such, a mage or healer could well be running around in full plate.

However, it would be useful to tell if a player is indeed running around in full plate or not, but even that isnt something that will happen in Ashes (or in any future game that monetizes appearance).
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    I meaaaan, you could put all those 3d artist to great use and literally make unique models for all gear piece across all tier and types look unique on each class. Would not only add to the RP part of the game and the class identity, but would also look great during sieges because people would look less samey (that is if you disable the limits on gear visuals in big fights).
  • MicoMico Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Noaani

I was under the impression that job classes were set and that a person has to choose their main and secondary classes. This would allow for JSE since your choices define your role.

I feel that if a game does release a glamor, it should be a Job specific glamor. That way we don't have 10 different job classes all looking the exact same.

Especially in a game that is PVP based, being able to tell a person's job class based on their armor is very important when targeting players.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    NiKr wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    I meaaaan, you could put all those 3d artist to great use and literally make unique models for all gear piece across all tier and types look unique on each class. Would not only add to the RP part of the game and the class identity, but would also look great during sieges because people would look less samey (that is if you disable the limits on gear visuals in big fights).

You could, but they wont.

They have already sold appearance items to people under the understanding that they can use those appearance items at any time, on any character they wish, as long as it is on their account.

A game that is selling appearances to players is not likely going to want to restrict players use of those purchased appearances at all

While I dont like it, I fully understand it.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2022
    I dont like class restricted looks like in ff14 (even though I like their appearance).
    Let everybody wear whetever they want.

But I do like archetype armor mastery (passive skill). My ideal system would be like this:

Tank heavy mastery: increases p def, shield def when equiped, increases crit dmg defence.
    Fighter heavy mastery: increases p def, increases max HP (slightly)
    Fighter medium mastery: increases p def.
    Rogue/Archer medium mastery: increases p def, reduces roll dodge cost
    Cleric robe mastery: increases p def, increases max mp, increases mp regen
    Cleric medium mastery: increases p def, increases mp regen
    Mage robe mastery: increases p def, casting speed

Small bonuses, just enough to punish any fighters wearing robe, any rogues/archers wearing heavy, any mages wearing medium, etc etc.

My friend in L2, a Dark Elf Knight, was sometimes playing with a magic staff and robe, killing other players with drain health, poisons curses and freezing strikes, instead of using heavy and sword/shield.
    But that class had no robe or medium mastery and no staff mastery.
    There were certain limitations without impossing class restricted looks like ff14, bdo and tera. And the skilled players always found unique playstyles for specific situations.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    My friend in L2, a Dark Elf Knight, was playing with a magic staff and robe sometimes killing other players with drain health, poisons curses and freezing strikes, instead of using heavy and sword/shield.
    Ah, the good old Shillen Knight mage build. I did that back on one private server cause I got my hands on a +16 Arcane Mace :D worked out well enough, but definitely not due to the build itself.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    I’m ok with an unrestricted xmog system, leaves plenty of room for RP with few to no tangible drawbacks.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer characters to look however they wish - especially in a world with high magic, where Illusions can be common.

My character’s class might not be her job.
  • Pass
  • SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    Mico wrote: »
    identify a person's specific job class based on their armor clothing

Personally, I prefer a toned down aesthetic look and feel to everthing from weapons to clothing and armor.
    If I am to pick up a profession, I support the idea of having clothing that reflect my trade.

For convenience though, I would like to have an inventory "loadout" for combat, and another for trade, so I dont have to manually swap out gear. Having a keybind to swap between the different gear loadouts would be nice.

If they want immersion, it would be cool to be able to put up a small "change-room" style tent, where the character can hide away when changing.