Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Static Casting

SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Casting classes in Ashes shouldn't have to feel so static. I played in the alpha 1 as a mage and as we move closer to the combat work/re-work and alpha 2 i have some ideas and suggestions.

Allow casters to cast while moving with movement reductions. In PvP it is essential to move with the flow as a ranged and i believe should be given the chance to slowly backup(Movement De-buff while casting some spells) to re-position without it turning into kiting. I expect this to make gameplay more even for a mage vs a melee class in group composition. I shouldn't have to sacrifice movement and choose while Bob is out there spinning around people trying to cut down everyone. Leave most if not all crowd control to support classes. That mage bomb(Black hole thing) was really nice in pvp btw for crowd control and a bit OP... one after the other on the narrow just farming kills.

Casting skills don't always have to be target/cast/hit. Add a few different variants from casts that follow you like a heat seeking missile and can be blocked by environment and give us some skill shot spells we can cast and predict where target will be at said time.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bards should certainly be able to dance while casting magic.
  • Options
    I think that it should just vary depending on the spell. If you have a huge big damage nuke, then the idea that you risk your position/safety to pull off a big cast is pretty satisfying. Think of WoW mages dropping a frost nova or a polymorph and following it up with a big pyroblast! But like @Dygz said it would be quite thematic for a Bard to be more mobile dancing about the place! But maybe not while they are shredding out a solo...

I also think it plays into the augment system quite nicely. There could be a spell which naturally does, or doesn't allow you to move - but perhaps an augment either pumps up the damage/adds an effect in exchange for mobility - or vice versa you forgo some damage/effect but allow it to be cast on the move.

In fact, I think the augment allowing changes like that will allow us to really mesh different playstyles together quite nicely so I am open to casting having standard move speed, reduced, or none - but for augments to have the potential to modify this.