Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Let's talk combat...

derpderp Member
edited June 2022 in General Discussion
With the upcoming update possibly going to showcase some combat, I'd love to hear from you all which combat mechanics you all loved in other games, along with things that you think are quintessential to creating both an enjoyable PvP and pve game.

I'll start, for me movement and "counters" are both very important. Being able to dodge and then unload your DPS is unbelievably satisfying.. that feeling that you have just outplayed someone. Ive played lots of games in my time but I think league of legends captures this perfectly - so many clutch plays, ways to dodge/become invulnerable for a second/ways to go invisible/parry damage etc etc. All of these things make you think about other people's cooldowns and create a dynamic PvP experience.

For pve I think any way in which abilities feel meaningful and not just "press 1 for line DPS, 2 for cone DPS, 3 for big single target DPS" is important. I like abilities that have a purpose and distinction from other classes.

What do you guys think? What's important for you and what will you be looking out for with future AOC combat updates?

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2022
    I would prefer action combat, even tho it will get tiresome in PvE. Action would be tiresome in pve because in AoC it will take longer to reach max lv, obtain mats and parts as well as other gatherables. It's ok tho. It will give the game more meaning as opposed to ff14 and eso in which there are no stakes or live competition.

I would prefer action, immersive movement, blocking dodging and landing skills on a target. It's more exciting.

I would not want to see esos action combat, in which you could dodge, land a hit, switch weapons and block, all within 1.5s

I would prefer it is in AoC actions and reactions had consequences, unlike esos STANDARD rotations.
    If in AoC you are about to land an attack, but at the last second you decide to block or dodge, the attack animation you were performing should be cancelled as well as the dmg output, in order for the block animation to take place and effect. Just like in Tera Online.

I wouldnt want to see BDOs combat either. Personally the animations look like freeze frame slides shots and Im not fond of the super armor or iframes while performing a handful of valid, competitive skills and the rest are never used since they dont provide any form of invulnetability.
  • Options
    I would prefer action combat, even tho it will get tiresome in PvE. Action would be tiresome in pve because in AoC it will take longer to reach max lv, obtain mats and parts as well as other gatherables. It's ok tho. It will give the game more meaning as opposed to ff14 and eso in which there are no stakes or live competition.

I would prefer action, immersive movement, blocking dodging and landing skills on a target. It's more exciting.

I would not want to see esos action combat, in which you could dodge, land a hit, switch weapons and block, all within 1.5s

I would prefer it is in AoC actions and reactions had consequences, unlike esos STANDARD rotations.
    If in AoC you are about to land an attack, but at the last second you decide to block or dodge, the attack animation you were performing should be cancelled as well as the dmg output, in order for the block animation to take place and effect. Just like in Tera Online.

I wouldnt want to see BDOs combat either. Personally the animations look like freeze frame slides shots and Im not fond of the super armor or iframes while performing a handful of valid, competitive skills and the rest are never used since they dont provide any form of invulnetability.

Iframe and super armor spam is cancer, I'd rather people not have every move stuns and it isn't cat and mouse of whoever cc first wins the fight. What is good about bdo is the flow of movements and directional combat, and the mobility on skills. Doesn't need to be to the level of BDO but having some of the mobility really allows you to have some out play and skill involved in battles.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sword of Legends Online hybrid combat for anyone that thinks it's impossible to make a simple and good hybrid that makes a lot of people happy.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Really couldn't care about the combat they have, as long as there's no gcd. I'm used to standing in one place and going through 20+ abilities, while clicking on the ground if I wanna reposition myself. You can only go up from that kind of combat, so I'm ready for whatever. But if there's some gcd that refreshes all my abilities when I use just one of them - I'm not sure I'll be able to power through that. I'm ocd against gcd, it just doesn't feel right.
  • Options
    I'd love to have active blocking/dodging/parrying. I was told on discord that active blocking is going to be a thing, but it was not from official source, regardless, I'm hoping for active dodging and parrying as well.
    The less RNG based actions the better. Overall I prefer systems/features that reward skill over luck.
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    Mobility and an active dodge is super important to me. I want to be able to move around alot in combat.

Games where you just stand still in one place without an active dodge and unable to move during skill use are just too boring and it feels old.
  • Options
    I think rng block and dodge is fine, even action combat games have it, just needs to be balanced so its not overwhelming. The mix of skill and having cool builds would make the best combat having the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    derpderp Member
    edited June 2022
    I think itemisation is important too - would love if some items add/reduce bleed damage, add/reduce magic damage, add/reduce cc/immunity etc.. this way you can itemise around your perfect build and create a gear/ability set around your playstyle rather than just being flat dmg/Def bonuses.

Again, league of legends items are a prime example here. Some items offer hp% DPS whereas others might offer flat DPS/crit for fighting squishier targets. Changing your items for different encounters would encourage more trading/gear farming/crafting and increase the games playability. Heck - the only reason league of legends is so successful is that the wide range of abilities/items make what is technically "groundhog Day" into a fresh experience every game just due to the fact you have to adapt your build/items to your environment every game.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    I think a way to make combat more involved over all is to break up "clensing" among the classes.

Support and healers should still have a full clense. While other classes should gain partial clenses in forms of skills, and maybe even gain temporary buffs from clensing themselves from certain CC.

Like a ranger being able to clense disarm, and gaining temp attack speed.

Rouges clensing root and gaining movement speed.

Mages clensing sleep and gaining mana regen.

Stuff of that nature, that makes particular CC less effective on certain classes overall.

And then i would like some CC redirection. If tanks and fighters could take on the effect of CCs other party members were hit with. Could lead to a complex, fulfilling combat system. Leaving pleant of CC in the hands of the players, and having enough countermeasures to not have to nurf every class into the ground
  • Options
    I'm curious as to what they have planned for us to see, I don't really want to make any judgement here without seeing it first...

So far my understanding is it will be a modernized version of GW2 when you have the reticle mode activated.
  • Options
    This ill pop off in a few days im sure really excited to see what is shown.