Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ability augments idea/ general discussion in light of the new combat update

fenn1539fenn1539 Member
edited June 2022 in General Discussion
I've decided to talk about this again since its a idea I feel I have fleshed out to myself more in the last half a year and as the title said, in light of the newest first combat update on the horizon to drop and just after watching narcs 'last video on the combat' for now' ;) I figure it would be fun to mention a idea I have had for a while and I based it on the single time I heard about the node relic things and call it relic augments. This idea is ultimately a simple enough one in concept but is the idea that the 2 augments that should affect your abilities functions should be first of course your secondary class but than rather than race or weapon full blown affecting your abilities i think those 2 should offer unique passives that give you different benefits to stats and things like that but not ACTUALLY change any of your abilites with than i think class augments of course shouldnt be to in depth or different on their own as relic augments help make each players class all the more unique.

Basically the idea for how these would work is something I still feel should be used in other areas as I feel vampires and werewolves and lichs should all be races you can become that will fullblown change your entire racial tree to whatever this new race is and essentially what you should be required to do to get these relic augments and race changes should be adventuring through solo dungeons in the world. The idea is that when you hit level 50 you would get a quest perhaps called something like 'beckoning power' or somethin like that and the description should read "I awoke from a strange dream last night, of which I saw something calling to me... I dont know who or even what it was but all I know is it IS real and i have to go and find it, whatever and wherever it is. I do know wherever it is at least was dark like a cave or dungeon and it was the shining light at the end of it and whatsmore, I think my dream was in truth a vision of the future and in that vision I was all by myself. to ensure i can find the source of that dream i should find it myself without anyone else with me..."

These solo dungeons will be there own little adventure and if there is enough issue about balancing them as even with just 8 classes when you get to the nitty gritty its still gonna be hard to make a dungeon balanced for the 3 holy trinity roles so perhaps these could be class locked but with the same overall relic so that way each dungeon could be perfectly balanced around a single cleric or mage or tank and perhaps almost made like a challenge run to test if you understand your class or not and if you do than you can earn the relic or race change at the end of the dungeon with for relics i would imagine that on their own they would change your abilites only as much as the secondary archtype but them in combo with the seoncdary archtype would be what makes your class feel unique and specific which would help with build customizability and making your class feel like yours and not just cleric #8. This idea would also lend to making vampires or werewolf type races actually viable to be added in a way that feels unique, fun, and like you earn the right to become that race and depending on the racial passives avalible to these classes and maybe even the idea of toying with perhaps making certain monster races able to be killed without penalty it opens up the idea of making them more powerful and provide far better passives but at the cost that your putting a kill icon over your head and in this game which will be as social as it is could spell death as perhaps anyone who groups with you gets this murder beacon on them too for the duration meaning its great power but at the risk that you and your group will get stomped on your way to do something.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ChMwPNxjGM this vid from narc acutally goes into the sort of thing i had in mind with the only difference being it is about weapons having/ doing what i would want the relic augments to do and honestly i think would be cool if intrepid are already doing what narc talked about with weapons with relic augments maybe being a post launch release that kinda of act like the guild/ world skill lines from eso namely with them being extra trees to sink your limited skillpoints into that can offer different abilites and passives than your normal class as this would really make it possible to make the same level of different and intresting builds you see in eso which for a proper mmo is something that i feel is needed to make it done right.

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2022
    Haha!
    No. That is really a completely different game, but also...
    Characters should not be changing so drastically at max level that they become a different race.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Haha!
    No. That is really a completely different game, but also...
    Characters should not be changing so drastically at max level that they become a different race.

umm i think you misunderstood what i said so imma repeat it a way i hope is more clear and if you still disagree than elaborate more than saying "ha!!!! no!!!" cause that doesnt really tell me/ convince me there is a issue with what i said. im saying on their own the relic augments and secondary archtypes both should stay really ultimatly not really that big of a difference to the base class but of course having to 2 choices at level 50 means that even if your still even after the relic augment, pretty close to your og class you still get to make it at least a bit more customized to you and the race change idea was simply a idea based around other games having vamps and werewolves and the sort and the fact that it would feel kinda awkward if you could just start as them with like i said, it would probably work best if they simply worked by fullblown just replacing your race meaning all vamps will have the same passives and all skelly bois or lichs all have the same passives.
  • Atm i just want to see what they are doing, how they are going to do it, and hos much customization will be for the classes. Hard to judge something they have not developed yet / are developing
    Loading wrote: »
    umm i think you misunderstood what i said
    It's easy to no understand what you wrote, but...
    I'm pretty sure I understood what I laughed at and objected to.
    Changing race to turn into Vamps and Werewolves after Level 50 is some other game.
    You admit that you got the idea from some other game, so I don't know what I could have misunderstood about that.

im saying on their own the relic augments and secondary archtypes both should stay really ultimatly not really that big of a difference to the base class.
    I don't know what relic augments are, so I did not comment on those.

it would feel kinda awkward if you could just start as them with like i said, it would probably work best if they simply worked by fullblown just replacing your race meaning all vamps will have the same passives and all skelly bois or lichs all have the same passives.
    Again, no.
    Just, no.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    umm i think you misunderstood what i said
    It's easy to no understand what you wrote, but...
    I'm pretty sure I understood what I laughed at and objected to.
    Changing race to turn into Vamps and Werewolves after Level 50 is some other game.
    You admit that you got the idea from some other game, so I don't know what I could have misunderstood about that.

im saying on their own the relic augments and secondary archtypes both should stay really ultimatly not really that big of a difference to the base class.
    I don't know what relic augments are, so I did not comment on those.

it would feel kinda awkward if you could just start as them with like i said, it would probably work best if they simply worked by fullblown just replacing your race meaning all vamps will have the same passives and all skelly bois or lichs all have the same passives.
    Again, no.
    Just, no.

so your input comes out to being worthless if you aint gonna elaborate my dude...
  • SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited June 2022
    No new races needed when the games isnt even released to suggest changes of these magnitude are needed.
    The games isnt based on European setting.
    The entire lore would need to change if this was introduced.
    What new thing does this bring to the table that is not already present?

I think you are just projecting what type of game YOU want to play here. I am sure there are tons of vampire/werewolf/lich games out there. Look into those rather than suggest such major changes be done to a game you are not financing with something so half assed.

There are tons of other reasons why what you said makes no sense. I am just not gonna bother with thinking and listing those.

Like Dygz said in his first comment - different game, drastic senseless changes. So, No. Just no.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • im not saying new races have to be there on launch but that this idea would work in future if they decide after launch to do what eso did with vamps and werewolfs
    No.
  • my dude just watch the video i linked in the original post and you'll hopefully get what i am aiming for with my idea since i clearly suck at writing and speaking in general and cant seem to explain it well.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ive got to side with dygz. He does tend to know what he is talking about even if i cant grasp his point of veiw some of the time.

Ashes in general is a pretty clear cut vision of stevens.