Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why does the dwarven race appear so physically underwhelming!?

First off, the devs here are doing an amazing job on all accounts and I am so excited about this game. However, there is something that sticks out in a negative way to me and that is how the dwarves are built more like halflings or gnomes in this fantasy setting. I have always been in love with the dwarven aesthetic and culture since playing them as a little kid in dnd campaigns to watching them in Tolkeins world of Middle Earth and even playing them in WoW. They are traditionally short yes but also stocky, wide and heavy set. I'm wondering why Intrepid has decided to take them in a different direction here and hope that they will reconsider this races anatomy. It is so visually displeasing looking at these lack luster impish beings and am baffled at Intrepids take on dwarves here. I fully intended on playing the Dunzenkell dwarves but am very disappointed in their visual aesthetics. The armor sets and node layouts look incredible for the race and are on point (In my opinion) it's just the anatomy here NEEDS to be revamped. I'm curious to know if anybody else has wondered or feels the same here.

Comments

• Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    From fantasy pictures around the web or certain games like 5e highlighting legendary dwarves I think they're like the Dunir Dwarve but stockier/fatter, so I think they just gotta work the customization options right.

As for the Nikua well...for anyone wanting a more real life dwarf they have that option and that's my simple take on all this.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    We had this conversation for a long time here, and luckily they look awesome now
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    They look like tough little guys to me... never underestimate their above-average natural strength when swinging those axes...
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The appearance of Dwarves run the gamut from Tolkien's original drawings - to Disney Snow White - to the Rankin/Bass animations - to D&D - to EQ/EQ2 - to WarHammer - to the Jackson LOTR films - to Pathfinder.

We still have to see the Dünir in comparison to the other races to be sure how awesome the new look is.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    Are we thinking about the same dwarven race? Current model for Dunir below.

002ed1f4-8a9c-a330-198b-b2f2abf1eae6.png
    1200px-Dunir_M_02.jpg
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I am not sure if I can handle the oiled beach dwarves. :p
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    JustVine wrote: »
    Are we thinking about the same dwarven race? Current model for Dunir below.

002ed1f4-8a9c-a330-198b-b2f2abf1eae6.png
    1200px-Dunir_M_02.jpg

My thought exactly!
    @Tharmekhul (OP), are you looking at the Dwarves shown in Alpha One? I'm curious if you've seen those but not the update (post Alpha One) versions of the Dwarves c:
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The obvious answer.

Their Dwarves.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I hadn’t realized they made an update to the Dunir post alpha one. Does anybody have a before and after in game image of them yet?
  • Options
    I think we haven't seen the updated version in-game yet.
    We especially need to see a comparison in-game with Humans and Elves so we can guage height.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Best I can do for you is a cool render of the stuff I already showed you. Hopefully we'll get some good footage this coming Q&A.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/e/ee/JFk4aaewQe8gT2z9.mp4

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/a/a4/DunirMale.mp4
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    Margaret told me, "We'll see. Might not be something you see for a bit."
    But, I'm still hoping they can squeeze something in this week.