Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Powerful gear that gives the wearer corruption status.

PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited June 2022 in General Discussion
Pretty much what it says on the tin. Anyone have any thoughts about having unique gear that potentially gives very powerful buffs, but as long as its worn you're red. Maybe while its in the inventory and not worn you're purple.

Comments

• Even gear that makes you purple and drop on death thats is stronger than the adverage gear would be nice too tbh maybe not as strong as the corrupted one but something inbetween wouldnt be bad imo for the game
  • Give me soul edge..... Now, Soul Edge! Grant your master his wish!
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    It goes directly against the whole point of the corruption system. When you're corrupted your combat stats get lower and lower as you get more corruption (except against bounty hunters), which is a huge part of the intended penalty for killing green players. It's supposed to suck and be a deterrent. If you can just offset that with powerful gear, it loses all meaning.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    Its not like the powerful gear would remove the weakening of curruption. I more think it makes you currupted so that said gear could be dropped

This doesnt make the punishment of being currupted not a punishment. It punishes you for equipping the "corrupted gear" as well.
  • What if the gear makes it so you don't lose stats while its equipped so you are a high prio to be killed. Though its something to feel more so once you lose it with all the corruption you have, and you are like i need that power again and want to get the sword back again. Though after meeting a time limit and certain amount fo kills it becomes full power and starts a world event.
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    What if the gear makes it so you don't lose stats while its equipped so you are a high prio to be killed. Though its something to feel more so once you lose it with all the corruption you have, and you are like i need that power again and want to get the sword back again. Though after meeting a time limit and certain amount fo kills it becomes full power and starts a world event.

This would go against the curruption system, and reward someone for being currupted. I dont support this.
  • This is just fantasy I wouldn't take it that seriously lol. Corrupted gear goes against the system as well, since you will just have greens attacking you and just end up with high corruption and lose stats from anything the weapon gave you. It be more of a meme thing then anything.
  • If corruption was only describing what's happening to the environment of Verra it would be an interesting concept, but it should not be tied in any way to the current pvp flagging mechanic.

If they were two separate systems, let say corruption and perversion, they could coexist. Now who shall be the ones branded perverted?

"Sir! There's a pervert over there!"
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Not a fan. This would be like voluntarily wrapping yourself in a blanket tainted with plague.

Corruption isn't some romanticized YA super power. It's a mindless decaying force like the Nothing or Mashadar (for the RJ folks).
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    edited June 2022
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Not a fan. This would be like voluntarily wrapping yourself in a blanket tainted with plague.

Corruption isn't some romanticized YA super power. It's a mindless decaying force like the Nothing or Mashadar (for the RJ folks).

I am simply trying to think of a way to use the mechanic of dropping equipt gear while red. In a more player opted in, im willing to drop my gear scenario. I get always dropping gear being tedious for most players, but at the same tine killing someone for their specific weapons or armor is interesting to me.

• NiKrNiKr Member
    Here's an example of a similar mechanic from L2. There was a smaaall chance to drop either a double-handed cursed sword or cursed dual swords. They'd give you max karma and transform you into the dudes you see in the video (first half is the Double-handed then it's both of them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2tOghQrcaM

Once you pick those cursed swords up, your position is shown on the map (L2's map was grid-based, so your square would light up with an icon of the sword, so people would know your general position). Everyone in the world would know that a cursed weapon was picked up (a big screen shake and redness). You'd get boosted stats and a ton of hp/cp (CP meaning combat points and being smth like a second pool of hp that depletes before the main HP pool). Here's more info on the system.

As you can see at the end of the video, the stat growth could be big enough to farm bosses just with 2 people (usually took a party or two). This was most likely because they increased their stats through PKing people. Btw, you couldn't kill <20 lvl players while you were in this form, so super casuals were fine.

These items would be hunted for once they've dropped, because guilds would usually use them to try and farm difficult bosses. The main counter to these swords would be the Dagger classes, which could circumvent the huge pool of CP that you'd get with the sword, or a Hero character, who'd remove the CP in one hit. In the video there's no Heroes and the dudes mainly attack afk people, so there's not much resistance either (cause I'm pretty sure this is a small private server). On more active servers there'd be big fights for and around these characters.

This mechanic allowed lucky solo players to farm party locations and/or gave small guilds a chance to bring down a boss that they otherwise might've not been able to. Overall a fun feature. I'd definitely love if there was smth like this in Ashes, especially considering that the lore could definitely allow something like "you drop an item filled with corruption and it now consumes you, giving you power that others cannot posses" or some shit like that.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    I am simply trying to think of a way to use the mechanic of dropping equipt gear while red. In a more player opted in, im willing to drop my gear scenario. I get always dropping gear being tedious for most players, but at the same tine killing someone for their specific weapons or armor is interesting to me.

Oooooohh. Sorry, @PenguinPaladin I misunderstood what you were going for here. Just so I'm clear - if the situation, Player A is a massive murder hobo and when he's finally killed, drops a helm looted by Player B. That helm is now imbued with some portion of Player A's corruption, and can transmit some of the corruption to Player B.

That's interesting. I'd almost see this as a rare event-like experience that could create a unique (so cool if it were intelligent) item that extends the chaotic, corrosive nature of corruption. If it were an intelligent item it would want to be fought over, thus projecting notifications outward to other players or mobs. So the question would be can Player B get that item somehow cleansed - which may turn it into a rare - before other players (or other mobs) track down and kill Player B?

That would be cool - and aligns with corruption.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    edited June 2022
    Not necessarily only gear dropped by reds, but kind of. Like maybe even boss weapons when dropped as a whole could still be corrupted, and while corrupted, corrupt the holder. And while those weapons are the source of corruption they hold more power. Maybe cleansing them removes the "op effect" from them as well and allows them to be weilded without risk

This would also differentiate found weapons and crafted weapons.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Not necessarily only gear dropped by reds, but kind of. Like maybe even boss weapons when dropped as a whole could still be corrupted, and while corrupted, corrupt the holder. And while those weapons are the source of corruption they hold more power. Maybe cleansing them removes the "op effect" from them as well and allows them to be weilded without risk

Yep. Overall, I would want this to be a super rare outcome for an item drop - especially when dealing with Red behavior. Otherwise, you'll be incentivizing a lot of murder hobos - or groups hacking on each other to trigger rare item drops.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Is that soul edge :o
    Dunno what that is
    CROW3 wrote: »

Yep. Overall, I would want this to be a super rare outcome for an item drop - especially when dealing with Red behavior. Otherwise, you'll be incentivizing a lot of murder hobos - or groups hacking on each other to trigger rare item drops.

Well i could just be a very rare occurrence on boss drop. And not change red players gear.

Imagine, a boss drops a corrupted sword. One guy gets the loot role, he equips it without looking over it and hmmm. Hes gone red, someone realizes what happened and kills him, then the witnesses know that the guy who killed him has something worth killing him over, even tho he hasnt equipt it to turn red yet.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    Is that soul edge :o
    Dunno what that is

soul calibur, its a fighting game. There is a sword called soul edge and it corrupts one.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    soul calibur, its a fighting game. There is a sword called soul edge and it corrupts one.
    Ah, maybe they got some inspiration from it. Though I think there've been a ton of such stories. Absolute power corrupting absolutely and all that.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Items like this are interesting, but I personally think bonding it to the corruption mechanic would be an issue.

If the idea is to have an opt in to the gear dropping mechanic, just have that as a condition on the item.

Items with negative effects are often interesting - however it is not something I would want to see at launch. For a game launch, you focus on getting the base systems right, and then after that you can start using those systems in different ways.
    Noaani wrote: »
    Items like this are interesting, but I personally think bonding it to the corruption mechanic would be an issue.

If the idea is to have an opt in to the gear dropping mechanic, just have that as a condition on the item.

Items with negative effects are often interesting - however it is not something I would want to see at launch. For a game launch, you focus on getting the base systems right, and then after that you can start using those systems in different ways.

I agree
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    This idea worked just fine in l2.