Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Diablo had an interesting feature!

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Playing diablo casually, and with very little time spend I stumbled across a game mechanic which I found a great way to solve a really common issue within games.

Now I could have this entirely wrong, but that does not matter as it what was interpreted is actually where I will lead.

A common issue within many games is having to change gear sets. Go back to town, put your gear away and individually pick the pieces you would like to wear for the current adventure.

Now, in Diablo, there was a "war closet" (name escapes me), where by going to the closet in town, it would open a menu where you, what I imagine, was hand a gear set on a paper doll, click through multiple preset paper dolls, probably pre-geared by oneself and click to change.

A much nice way to do a banal task.. if I am interpreting it right.

And I am also certain for those that are unfamilar, there will also be someone capable of explaining it far more articulately .

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Systems like this can be useful.

I quite like the way EQ2 did it (shock).

The game had a built in macro system, and one of the macros you were able to make was an equip macro. You could get the macro to equip any item you had in your inventory - as many items per macro as you wanted. The system would then create a button that you could put on your hotbar, and when pressed would attempt to equip the items in the macro.

What I liked about it was that you had no limit to how many load outs you could have, and it made use of an existing system rather than requiring it's own. Additionally, you could set the macro to say something smart or funny, but more importantly to me, you could tie the equip macro in to a respec macro, so it was a simply, one button affair to go from one build to another (efficiency is king).

The only downside to it was needing to have the item on you, but with 410 backpack slots (and only 24 item slots - if you include food and drink), this was never an issue.

Now that I think about it, EQ2's macro system was underrated.
  • akabear wrote: »
    Playing diablo casually, and with very little time spend I stumbled across a game mechanic which I found a great way to solve a really common issue within games.

Now I could have this entirely wrong, but that does not matter as it what was interpreted is actually where I will lead.

A common issue within many games is having to change gear sets. Go back to town, put your gear away and individually pick the pieces you would like to wear for the current adventure.

Now, in Diablo, there was a "war closet" (name escapes me), where by going to the closet in town, it would open a menu where you, what I imagine, was hand a gear set on a paper doll, click through multiple preset paper dolls, probably pre-geared by oneself and click to change.

A much nice way to do a banal task.. if I am interpreting it right.

And I am also certain for those that are unfamilar, there will also be someone capable of explaining it far more articulately .

Wow had that too. It is a nice quality of life feature.
  • So it's like a locker from Rust? One click and you swap your gear set with whatever is set up in a number of dolls/slots?

I like that.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • CawwCaww Member
    A good Gear Set scheme is a real QoL item and is really expected as a mandatory piece of UI/Inventory management.
  • Yeah I have used this kind of system in WoW and Albion as well. It is handy and saves time especially when you have several sets in use. I also played Diablo Immoral as f2p to max level and main storyline through. I saw this wardrope as well but it had no use for me during leveling. Albion has also an extra "preset" feature in market place and you can buy a whole set just with a few clicks. However, I am not sure if that is needed in Ashes.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    The game had a built in macro system, and one of the macros you were able to make was an equip macro. You could get the macro to equip any item you had in your inventory - as many items per macro as you wanted. The system would then create a button that you could put on your hotbar, and when pressed would attempt to equip the items in the macro.
    The more I learn about EQ2 from you, the more I understand that L2 and EQ2 were pretty much the same game with just different content direction :D
    g2zerso8x52m.png
  • Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    World of Warcraft had the same thing, I would love this feature in Ashes as well it make things so much
    easier.

be88fa57ff2d0d279f36b074db09db1e.png

You basically put on the equipment then click on save. Then name it once you done that you would be able to drag that icon for that gear onto a toolbar and just click it and it will swap gear to the pre set if you have the gear in your bags/inventory. ( if you were out of combat, although weapons were able to be swap out in combat)