Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapons types

AcijAcij Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
I was wondering if there would be like claw weapons for like more like a punching then slicing.
Also will there be scythe, lances...

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Scythes as a weapon...

A personal petty hate of mine.

If you've ever seen a real scythe, you'd know how utterly useless they would be for attacking literally anything other than your opponents feet. They are literally a tool designed specifically to cut low to the ground - and so that is about all they are able to do.

Obviously, since the Grim Reaper is often depicted holding one (because they are used for reaping a harvest...) many people have taking a liking to the imagery, with absolutely no understanding of the meaning or practicality.

That said, I'd expect there to be scythe weapon skins.

There is currently no word on claw type weapons.
  • Options
    @Noaani

Im not a huge fan of Scythes but your comment about it is pretty weird.
    1. Its a fantasy game it doesnt matter how ''useless'' Scythes are in a real fight if you can throw firballs you can somehow make Scythe useful too wtf.
    2. And if you see it from a ''realistic'' perspective its wrong too because they actually used ''War Scythes'' back then.
    uwu
  • Options
    Scythes are fun though, they look cool. I'd like to see spears and polearms, maybe a Mage shooting spells from one hand and wielding a blade in the other for melee. Battlemage.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Izzetin wrote: »
    Its a fantasy game it doesnt matter how ''useless'' Scythes are in a real fight if you can throw firballs you can somehow make Scythe useful too wtf.
    Sure you can. You take it apart and reassemble the pieces so that the blade is sticking straight out, rather than on an angle.

The thing is, you then have a different weapon.

Basically, in order to make a scythe actually something that could hurt a person other than their feet, you need to turn it in to a different object. That object happens to be called a War Scythe. The look is closer to that of a halberd than a scythe.

As I said though, I expect to see some scythe skins in the game - they are a perfectly acceptable staff substitute for a Necromancer type class.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    If claws and scythes look cool then I'm all for it.

This game is focusing on generic animations for all races and class types and after seeing "spin to win" from great sword, it's all about getting the "fun and cool" in as apposed to super professional levels of weapon fighting styles because I'm X class or because I'm an Orc.

Will also make the transmog contests more exciting.
  • Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons

No current type of fist like weapon, but I wouldn't see why not?

as for the scythe probably be a staves although I've yet to see one.

Game is still being develop and to early to tell
  • Options
    I think it could be a pretty cool addition, weapon variety is always nice, and it has a certain aesthetic a lot of players like.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    Scythes as a weapon...

A personal petty hate of mine.

If you've ever seen a real scythe, you'd know how utterly useless they would be for attacking literally anything other than your opponents feet. They are literally a tool designed specifically to cut low to the ground - and so that is about all they are able to do.

Obviously, since the Grim Reaper is often depicted holding one (because they are used for reaping a harvest...) many people have taking a liking to the imagery, with absolutely no understanding of the meaning or practicality.

That said, I'd expect there to be scythe weapon skins.

There is currently no word on claw type weapons.

The true way to use a scythe as a weapon, you refix the head to point along the pole, and use ot as a pole sword, i wouldnt mind pole swords. But yeah, using an actual scythe as is as a weapons.... ew.