Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Sailing plans?

So in the latest stream it was confirmed that wind direction affects your sailing speed in certain directions. I think that's awesome! I love sailing in games but very few do it well..
I was wondering how complex AoC will make sailing (the more complex the better imo, to a point). So a few questions:
-Does the type of ship affect speed in certain wind directions? For example would a square rigged ship go faster with the wind from behind as a fore-to-aft rigged ship?
-Will we be able to change sail angles?
-Will wind in the sails at certain angles make the ship heel over and will depowering the sails change the amount of heeling?

I don't really expect the last two points to become reality but the first point would be cool allready..
k54ya28ck2hr.png

Comments

• DareowDareow Member
    Sounds like Sea of Thieves type game play
  • FunkybluesFunkyblues Member
    edited June 2022
    Well I'm drawing my inspiration more from Naval Action and just sailing in general but yes also Sea of Thieves does it well!
    k54ya28ck2hr.png
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Here is a link to the wiki with everything we know about boats.
  • I wonder if they have a separate team working on it or not. I almost wish they would just bring it in the first expansion a year or so after release. That way maybe for a faster release not sure how much work has been done on it. But they keep mentioning it.
  • Transporting cargo with sailing would be a cool alternative to a caravan if both cities have access to coastal waters. I'm new here and still going through the many threads. I am very curious about how long it would take a node to improve from one thing to another. Like when we start the game will the game nodes be in early stone/bronze? Knowing that would give us a good understanding to what ships we can use. Like Viking longboats in the beginning for early goods movement.
  • Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Transporting cargo with sailing would be a cool alternative to a caravan if both cities have access to coastal waters. I'm new here and still going through the many threads. I am very curious about how long it would take a node to improve from one thing to another. Like when we start the game will the game nodes be in early stone/bronze? Knowing that would give us a good understanding to what ships we can use. Like Viking longboats in the beginning for early goods movement.

I would be surprise if there isn't transport ships. Also just little more information about nodes you should check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvubbX-SHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HChA1Kkfk

14559cc72e86488736bb226b3b36e6ca.png

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Node_stages

I wouldn't mind the idea of Atlas/Sea of thieves kinda sailing think they're done pretty well