Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why your Feedback on Combat Matters

KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Knowing me, no this isn't a troll thread, this is what I honestly believe. Your opinion on Combat does matter because the actual feedback that's given today, will be what the team uses to make the combat finished product later. However I'm seeing really passionate, but not focused feedback. "This combat sucks" or "This combat is great" frankly, I guess on the whole is technically feedback, in the same way that a Twinkie is technically food, but it really lacks substance.

That being said, I wish that Intrepid would lay out some ground rules on what types of feedback they'd like to see from players. Just asking "Give us your feedback" means you're going to get a scatter shot of random things stemming from "I love Steven" to "My left testicle is misshapen, will I be able to make my character in game have odd shaped balls?"

Please, Intrepid, give us a sign, show us the direction you wish us to throw our opinions at!

Aq0KG2f.png

Comments

• Options
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/52724/feedback-request-basic-melee-weapon-attack-update-discussed-in-june-livestream/p1

"To help guide this conversation, here are a few thought starters:
    What aspects of basic melee weapon attacks are important to you?
    Do you feel anything is missing from the basic melee weapon attacks we’ve shared so far?
    Are there types of basic melee weapon attacks in other games that you feel are done well? If so, in what ways?
    Is there anything in particular you’re excited or concerned about regarding what was shown with basic melee weapon attacks?
    Please don’t feel limited by the thought starters above. Feel free to share anything you’d like about Ashes of Creation’s basic melee weapon attacks."
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the direction is pretty clear, they are doing the hybrid combat they have been saying for years, I think the mistake was people assuming that their "hybrid" was going to be according to their personal preferences,

I personally think they should keep on the direction they are going, an action'ish-based hybrid combat with tab/action mixed, while using active block/parry / rolls and dashes to make the combat fast-paced and skilled.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Before I have any opinion on the games combat, I want to see what it is like when 40 people take on one encounter for 15 minutes.

If it holds up after that to what it's like with a solo player, cool.

If it does not hold up under that test, it needs to be made to do so.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited July 2022
    @Karthos

Good thread. Here’s my opinion based on what I observed…

First the 2H:
    - The idle animation gave the weapon gravity, it looked like the weapon had weight to both hold and heft - which lent some immersion points
    - The weapon swings seemed smooth and well-animated (especially given this is alpha) and again also seemed to telegraph the weight of the sword in the direction of the attack
    - The cadence of the attacks seemed ok. I’d like to get a feel for several slower attack speeds - I think there’s a better balance by slowing the heavy 2hnders down, which relatively speeds the daggers up (aka the daggers don’t need to be faster)
    - The cleave attacks looked powerful, and appropriate
    - The overhead active block looked neat, but I didn’t see it actively block anything (someone chime in if you did). Is that a 50% mitigation to block with a 2H?
    - I’m not a fan of the golden swooshes, and hope these get toned down, they don’t lend anything functional over time, and if every attack has golden swooshes, they lose all significance and may as well not be there. So save the CPU effects for more powerful abilities
    - I’m super curious to see other 2H basic animations now - especially for staves and polearms which have entire different attack patterns, but still have weight

Daggers:

- the speed felt felt right
    - The character’s animations seemed too engaged. The advantage to fighting with knives is their non-committal nature. A full lunge is just silly with a knife.
    - The dual attacks are good, though I would add more asymmetrical attacks, even reversing the grip on one of the knives which is a common tactic when fighting with two shorter bladed weapons because it gives you more options faster
    - I’m super interested in seeing if there’s a difference in how a warrior with daggers may fight versus a rogue with daggers
    - Also my comment above on the silver swoops applies to daggers as well. The swoops take away from how cool the animations can be - and I’d rather focus on my character’s ability to fight than swoopy BDO flash bangs.

Overall, I’m happy with what I saw. I just want to see more. Specifically, how an active cast ability blends with the basic animations. Is there a target lock (aka Witcher 3 or AC) or just an action soft lock to deliver casted / ranged attacks?

Nicely done, IS.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png