Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Basic Combat: instant teleport

zitruszitrus Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Hello everyone, I wanted to know if people like the instant teleport feature shown in Ashes of creation basic meele combat video of 30/06/2022 (instant teleport in video at 8:40).

https://youtu.be/t3LydR8VssY?t=521

I would like to say that I don't have much action combat experience, just Fortnite (PvE with zombies) with meele weapons, so my feedback comes basically from that and the video linked up here.

Personally I didn't like it, maybe because it makes the meele tank or dps job really easy, I mean positioning is one of the core feature when you run, for example, a dungeon or defend a fortress; if you position badly it can be fatal for the course of a battle, but instead with instant teleport you can be very quick and go everywhere you want and help the far distant casters that are in danger or anticipate coming enemies from other directions.
It may also break the immersion, I mean the instant teleport is more for mages or rogues (but that's up to the lore).

Generally I would have prefered a running feature like Fortnite (PvP) implemented.
But I also know that for an action combat a dodge skill is essential for incoming attacks. Hope that some limitations (space traveled, number of charges you can consecutively use and cooldown) may occur.

But I liked all the rest the video shows, which is a lot.

Do you like or dislike the instant teleport?

Comments

• Options
    I don't dislike the existence of it, but I did have a few questions I raised in the main thread:

- Do all classes get the same kind of dash/blink baseline? Or is it specced into certain classes?
    - If it is basically baseline, then how do we generate uses of it. Charge based with a cd? Stamina based?
    - Will there be augments to modify this?

We know augments can modify charges etc but I would think that might be separate to these dashes? Does it invalidate blink abilities if everyone would get these dashes? Or just make the combat a bit *too* mobile? Hard to say without playing/seeing an actual pvp fight with all the features!
  • Options
    also, its not class showcase, it was basic attack showcase, so dont give feedback about stuff that they didnt show. For example, when u make a car and u want to test breaks, u give them for a break test, but car is not painted yet, looks like its made of junk, do u wont feedback about breaks that "it looks like junk"?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    It was kind of a class kit showcase.
    I was pretty sure we were seeing Fighter Active Skills. I askes in chat a few times, but I could not get Steven to confirm during the stream.
    Towards the end of the combat demo, the devs mention they were featuring some of the Weaponmaster (Fighter/Fighter) class kit. Fighters easily move around the battlefield.
    What you were seeing is probably some form of Rush.

Mark 27:26 --
    You guys have already seen some sneak peaks of that of that with the Assassin in a previous stream and now you're seeing something from the Weaponmaster.
  • Options
    superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm totally cool with certain classes / augments gaining instant movement. It's what separates mobile classes from more static "big hitter" or damage mitigation classes.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Yeah...I don't know what you mean by that.
    What's the exact dev quote??
  • Options
    I honestly didn't like how quickly that character was moving around. IMO, "weapon masters" are tacticians. In other words, they're like chess masters. They see the battlefield, analyze their opponent, and try to stay at least one step ahead. They're not reactionary when it comes to positioning, but rather anticipatory. How often have we seen the trope where the hasty challenger goes up against the blade master, thinks they're about to win after unleashing a flurry of blows without care for their footwork, before the weapon master cheekily reveals to them that they've been led straight into a trap before putting the challenger on their back?

A weapon master's weapon attacks should deal stronger blows, and therefore they rely upon their wit and tactical prowess to put them in the proper position for landing those attacks. When you give them instant gap closers or avoidance mechanics, you're giving someone with strong attack damage the ability to just jump right into someone's face and smash them with a giant hammer. Doesn't really add up IMO.

I do think most, if not every class should have some kind of gap closer or avoidance mechanic. It's the card up the sleeve. The question is: how many of these cards should each class have up their sleeve, and how quickly should they be able to draw each card?

Rogues are obviously reliant on their agility to land several low-damage attacks from various angles without taking too much damage from any one attack, therefore they should have more frequent, speedier movement abilities. Spellcasters benefit from being at a distance, so they should be given mechanics to maintain that distance, without letting them remain out of reach indefinitely. This will all get ironed out during testing.

But as for your question regarding what we saw in this preview, if those two movement abilities actually are planned to be given to weapon masters, the fighter+fighter class, I don't think they should be quite that fast. I think their movement abilities should fall somewhere down the middle, if not on the "heavier" side, for speed as well as frequency. But just my opinion.