World Map?

Maybe a dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Is ashes a flat map with unknown edges? Or is it going to be a globe?

I guess normally it doesn't matter, but with the open ocean sailing... will we be able to sail around the world in ashes?

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They said a while back in a stream it is a flat map with edges.
    Don't have time right now to look for the stream. Was one or two after they showed the world map was asked in the q&a.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Bloodprophet remembers correctly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNosCnctck&t=3315s
    Mark 55:17
  • They said a while back in a stream it is a flat map with edges.
    Don't have time right now to look for the stream. Was one or two after they showed the world map was asked in the q&a.

Thanks kind of a bummer
    But understandable
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The community theorized being that way for expansions but hard to say long term plans this early on.
    Maybe some day we will see a true globe MMO world.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • RoxiRoxi Member
    The community theorized being that way for expansions but hard to say long term plans this early on.
    Maybe some day we will see a true globe MMO world.

and fly to explore space XD
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • CawwCaww Member
    Too bad about no global access - would have been nice to have a "Northwest Passage" thing going in the summer months...
  • I feel like they would be shooting themselves in the foot if the world was round. If it was round, how would they potentially introduce new areas in a DLC/Expansion?
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • RoxiRoxi Member
    I feel like they would be shooting themselves in the foot if the world was round. If it was round, how would they potentially introduce new areas in a DLC/Expansion?

this world is not limited to the lands of Verra ^^
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    There’s that tried and true Bliz method called ‘brand new island’!
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • BalanzBalanz Member
    edited July 2022
    The map we have seen so far is tiny, according to the Wiki, roughly 22 km or 13.6 miles on a side. About the size of Delaware County, Pennsylvania.

If Verra were a globe, it would roughly the size of the Asteroid 951 Gaspra.

While it might be nice, in the abstract, for it to be bigger, it needs to be about this size to bring a server's worth of population into regular conflict.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I feel like they would be shooting themselves in the foot if the world was round. If it was round, how would they potentially introduce new areas in a DLC/Expansion?

The original EQ had it's third expansion take place on a moon, and fourth expansion take place in various otherworldly planes (Time, Knowledge, Valor, Storm etc).

Throwing up new islands is always an option, but since we already know that there are various planes of existence in Ashes, it would be unfortunate if we never go to them.
  • I feel like they would be shooting themselves in the foot if the world was round. If it was round, how would they potentially introduce new areas in a DLC/Expansion?

They could have tectonic shifts and new islands rise. Or sunken cities. Or expand the underrealm. Or something in the skies.
    There's always options.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    They could make the world round, allowing for ships to circumnavigate the land and still introduce new continents. We wouldn’t need to introduce it from some magical origin, just blame it on a combination of crappy maps, poor navigation, and stormy seas.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A Whole New World....
  • edited July 2022
    There's lots of potential and options for world map expansion, upwards, downwards, outwards. It's usually best to keep the original content relevant with easy means of navigation between them. Considering the server population size, if they increase the map, they may want to increase server population limits.

The sky would be cool though, reminds me of one piece where the clouds acts as the ocean :smile: Would be cool to travel different planes of existence as well, celestial bodies is always an option and if they want to layer it from subterranean skywards and atmospherically, there's a lot of routes to travel between depending on the magic and technology.
  • Noaani wrote: »

The original EQ had it's third expansion take place on a moon, and fourth expansion take place in various otherworldly planes (Time, Knowledge, Valor, Storm etc).

Throwing up new islands is always an option, but since we already know that there are various planes of existence in Ashes, it would be unfortunate if we never go to them.

Didn't think about that! I like those ideas.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif