Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How will you handle this situation?

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Ok so from I understand , we all start green, and if we attack someone you become purple and the effects of dying become "LESS'

My question to you is, will you even bother fighting back? or will you let that person kill you and gain corruption?

The reason I ask, is sure I love PvP as much as the next person, but are you so confident in your skills that you "KNOW" you can take this person who has already took a chunk out your life by surprise?

If we take this on we are fighting from behind and this doesn't exactly seem to be on fair grounds which is fine it's open world PvP.

Or would you rather sit there, loss a bit more resources and experience , especially if you have little to nothing on you and let him kill you and give him corruption?

And to take it a bit farther, and this whole system will need testing, but what if the aggressor see's you're not fighting back and leaves you with 1 HP because he doesn't want to gain corruption and and you didn't fight back.

Will that person be able to run and drown himself when you were the last person to physically damage him giving you a death and him corruption? (This happens in another game that's why I bring this up)

I would like to know if you will base this on case by case, or just give the attacker corrution without trying to penalize him , or do your best and try and win?

That being said since you're starting from every disadvantage do you feel you deserve something extra because you won the fight? Like maybe he drops more resources or something to make it worth the risk. You're going to lose experience either way if you die and resources.

In the whole mantra of Risk vs Reward I feel since HE is attacking YOU he should have to RISK something a littel bit more than the person DEFENDING.

I look forward to seeing your responses thanks for reading.

TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Santanico wrote: »
    Or would you rather sit there, loss a bit more resources and experience , especially if you have little to nothing on you and let him kill you and give him corruption?
    I would lose time, first and foremost. Maybe I'm deep in a dungeon that I spent 30 minutes getting to. Why would I waste those 30 mins again just because some dude thought he deserves the right to farm that room. And depending on the class balancing, I might win the RPS matchup and his first strike doesn't mean shit.

But in my case, I'd usually be Han Solo, because if I see someone walking towards my farming spot - I shoot first. Now I have the upper hand, I've let them know that I'm ready to fight and I'll lose less stuff even if I die.
    And to take it a bit farther, and this whole system will need testing, but what if the aggressor see's you're not fighting back and leaves you with 1 HP because he doesn't want to gain corruption and and you didn't fight back.
    Your enemy won't know your HP values. They'll only see rough estimates through the decay stage of your nameplate. So they might think that they brought you down real low because your nameplate is in its lowest stage, but you could be super fat and still have a ton of HP or you could have several defensive/evasive abilities that would prevent you from dying to mobs/hazards.
    Will that person be able to run and drown himself when you were the last person to physically damage him giving you a death and him corruption? (This happens in another game that's why I bring this up)
    Only the one who did the finishing blow gets the corruption.
    That being said since you're starting from every disadvantage do you feel you deserve something extra because you won the fight? Like maybe he drops more resources or something to make it worth the risk. You're going to lose experience either way if you die and resources.
    If I won - I get to continue enjoying my pre-pvp activity. That's enough of a reward for me.
    In the whole mantra of Risk vs Reward I feel since HE is attacking YOU he should have to RISK something a little bit more than the person DEFENDING.
    The risk is the corruption. The penalties related to it are quite harsh. And if the target defends itself, the risk is your time, because you might have to run back to wherever you were previously.

All of those answers are just talking about 1v1 pvp, which I personally doubt will happen all that often. Yes, some people might PK lowbies/casuals, but corruption will punish them more than enough to limit (or at least decrease the amount of) such actions in the future.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    it all depends on what you could lose. If you spent the last hour farming walnut logs to drag back to your woodshop, then get attacked, you will lose less material by fighting back than if you let the attacker take the corruption hit.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    The Risk is corruption sure. but they want your to go combatant. Maybe the fact we won't know health bars and stuff like that will be enough. However the 1st strike could very well mean something, especially if it's Rogue.

Good points though
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    The Risk is corruption sure. but they want your to go combatant. Maybe the fact we won't know health bars and stuff like that will be enough. However the 1st strike could very well mean something, especially if it's Rogue.
    Planned "time to kill" is 30 secs to 1 minute. I'd assume the speed of combat is higher than 3-5 hits a minute, so most likely that first hit won't matter too much, unless the difference in character strength is so damn high that the attacker can in fact 3-shot their target. But at that point, they'll get so much corruption that they'll never do that again (well unless they're a troll, then just good luck to them).
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    NiKr wrote: »
    In the whole mantra of Risk vs Reward I feel since HE is attacking YOU he should have to RISK something a little bit more than the person DEFENDING.
    The risk is the corruption. The penalties related to it are quite harsh. And if the target defends itself, the risk is your time, because you might have to run back to wherever you were previously.
    Another risk in this situation is the fact that you are now a combatant, and anyone around you is able to attack you knowing that you can not give them corruption.

All it takes is that one player that is better than you to be just around the corner and your decision to attack that player harvesting raw materials can take a bad turn.

Obviously, neither this possibility nor the possibility that the player you are attacking may remain green are enough to stop a player attacking someone - they are not supposed to be. They are just risks that need to be managed.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Another risk in this situation is the fact that you are now a combatant, and anyone around you is able to attack you knowing that you can not give them corruption.

All it takes is that one player that is better than you to be just around the corner and your decision to attack that player harvesting raw materials can take a bad turn.

Obviously, neither this possibility nor the possibility that the player you are attacking may remain green are enough to stop a player attacking someone - they are not supposed to be. They are just risks that need to be managed.
    Very true. Have had coooountless times where I'd win in pvp against some dude and literally a second later another dude enters the room and kills me. And this wasn't even the case of "I got baited into flagging and 2 dudes killed me", it was usually just people trying to farm the same location and their timings just being too perfect.

And dungeon/location design in ashes will gave a huge impact on this interaction. If I can turn my camera in one room just enough to take a peek into the next room and see a flagged dude there - I just might go there to take him out, because the chances are - he's just got done fighting and is at lower hp. And he knew I was in the neighboring room and could see him, so he took the risk of not only going red, but also going purple and dying even in the case of him winning his initial fight.
  • Options
    Very good point, I'm really looking forward to see how this goes in testing.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    I would imagine people who feel they're not good at PvP will just let you suffer the corruption. We will see but it would seem that would be much harsher to them then fighting a losing battle.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Since I don't want to encourage non-consensual PvP, I will probably always decline fighting back.
    I'll remain a Non-Combatant.
    My attacker can choose to leave me be or gain Corruption.

People who enjoy non-Battlegrounds PvP should flag purple so they are rewarded with half the normal death penalties. If they win the battle, there's a booty bonus.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Burn all cool downs and go full ham. Looking forward to this kind of thing. Keep the world dangerous.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.