Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Looking for clarification on Steven's stance on Class/Weapon skills

AidanNautAidanNaut Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1518562720?t=02h12m33s

A question shared in the Q&A "Will equipping different weapons change your skillset[?]"

To summarize Steven's answer: Steven is not a fan of skillsets be based on equipment, wants skillsets to be based on class, and strongly dislikes tying skills to weapons.

I want to know if this means that there will be zero interactions between class skills and the equipped weapon. On stream while showcasing the 'whirlwind' ability it seemed this was the case. If it is the case, I'm concerned that weapons then will become nothing more than glorified stat sticks and that a "best weapon" meta would arise from this.

Comments

• Options
    Weapons will have tress that effect stats on what you are using. All the skills are from your class.
  • Options
    AidanNaut wrote: »
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1518562720?t=02h12m33s

A question shared in the Q&A "Will equipping different weapons change your skillset[?]"

To summarize Steven's answer: Steven is not a fan of skillsets be based on equipment, wants skillsets to be based on class, and strongly dislikes tying skills to weapons.

I want to know if this means that there will be zero interactions between class skills and the equipped weapon. On stream while showcasing the 'whirlwind' ability it seemed this was the case. If it is the case, I'm concerned that weapons then will become nothing more than glorified stat sticks and that a "best weapon" meta would arise from this.

Well, they are trying to make auto attacks matter and give them interactions with class skills.
    Previous examples have been a rogue using daggers can apply poison or bleed effects. I don't see him grabbing a great sword just for the stats if it ends up with a lower attack speed and less likely to proc his effects. Different builds would require different weapons.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes doesn't have auto-attacks.
  • Options
    What is auto-tab-targeting?
  • Options
    I doubt Ashes has that.
  • Options
    I doubt that it doesnt have an Auto attack if theres tab targeting
    uwu
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    You can doubt what the devs have stated and demoed for the past 5 years if you wish, sure.

I think tab target begins by selecting the nearest target when you click Tab - I dunno what is auto about that.
    But that is different than auto-attack.
  • Options
    Of all decisions they have made this one is the one that makes the least sense. I can understand all their decisions, except this.

Skills should be exclusively locked to weapon type, daggers cant simply whirlwind like a greatsword, it makes zero sense.

Either lock skills to specific weapons or make skills adapt to each weapon, again using whirlwind as an example: while using daggers whirlwind has less range, is faster and less heavy than using whirlwind with a greatsword.

Of all the debates happening in this forum i think this one should be having more focus than tab vs action or active block vs rng stats or whatever.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    falcorpix wrote: »
    Of all decisions they have made this one is the one that makes the least sense. I can understand all their decisions, except this.

Skills should be exclusively locked to weapon type, daggers cant simply whirlwind like a greatsword, it makes zero sense.

Either lock skills to specific weapons or make skills adapt to each weapon, again using whirlwind as an example: while using daggers whirlwind has less range, is faster and less heavy than using whirlwind with a greatsword.

Of all the debates happening in this forum i think this one should be having more focus than tab vs action or active block vs rng stats or whatever.

I would definitely agree that weapon type and weight class should affect the ability. The reasons weapons are different lengths are for a reason :smile:

but then we also get into the debate of race size and ability function

But they could just be viewing WW as a spell where your weapon affects dmg output rather than the physical aspect of a character spinning in a realistic sense vs a fantasy sense for how the ability is.
    Hmm, now I wonder if character size plays a roll WW range.. :tongue:
  • Options
    falcorpix wrote: »

I don't think it's totally absurd. Using WoW as an example, you can have various different weapons and while some do require specific weapons it's usually very limited (i.e. rogue - backstab, or warrior - shield block etc.).

That said, I do agree that standardising abilities so that they don't look out of place depending on your weapon choice WOULD be a good idea. I think rebalancing abilities based on weapons might be asking for more balancing work than we would probably want so I think if the choice is to rebalance abilities or just standardise the animation, I would go for the easier 2nd option.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The Daggers did not Whirlwind, the Weaponmaster did.
    Whirlwind and Hammer Strike are Fighter Active Skills.
    Same as Tank's Javelin spear and Cleric's Castigation whip.
    Those Active Skills have nothing to do with the weapon being wielded.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    The Daggers did not Whirlwind, the Weaponmaster did.
    Whirlwind and Hammer Strike are Fighter Active Skills.
    Same as Tank's Javelin spear and Cleric's Castigation whip.
    Those Active Skills have nothing to do with the weapon being wielded.

There is no confusion there, i understand how it works and im saying it makes no sense.
    Eh.. I can give summoning magic weapons the benefit of doubt, although why would I be wielding daggers and summoning giant spectral hammers.
    But whirlwind is clearly a physical ability that matches a greatsword, with its size, weight and slashing ability, plus it looks silly holding daggers and swinging what looks like an invisible greatsword around.

So a weaponmaster isnt someone that mastered different types of weapons and their appropriate combat styles , but rather is someone that can change the properties of weapons, such as changing their length and weight while maintaining their original shape, they can also summon spectral weapons.

I understand now, thanks for clarifying.
    Ill just stick with greatswords for fighters and daggers for rogues.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    It makes perfect sense because it's a high magic fantasy setting and those are magical attacks.

Just as a Cleric conjures a whip for Castigation because it is representative of the Cleric theme, a Fighter conjures a warhammer because it fits the theme they have for Fighters.
    Whirlwind is a Fighter ability, not a weapon ability. I dunno why you would assume that ability is purely physical. Whirlwind will look even "sillier" when wielding a Wand. Sure.

Any class can use any weapon, so... we could all potentially be "weapon masters" if we're being literal.
    We're all "mages", too.