Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do you deal with shop FOMO?

Hey everyone, just wondering for those of you who have recently bought from the shop and thus missed out on previous months packs - how do you deal with the FOMO of not acquiring the previous months packs? Do you really mind? Do you regret not buying sooner? Do you expect to buy a new pack monthly if you have only just bought a pack recently?

Just curious as I am currently dealing with a little FOMO myself! I regret not buying earlier but have not had the funds to do so. Also I know it's purely cosmetic, but I myself am a huge fan of changing the ways things look etc so it's just something I have been thinking about!

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I regret not buying earlier but have not had the funds to do so.
    If it was out of your control, why care for it? And in the future, if you don't have the money for more cosmetics - why care that you'll miss them?
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Im an adult. Wait until you become one and things like that will seem ridiculous to you.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Im an adult. Wait until you become one and things like that will seem ridiculous to you.

I have to agree with this.

The way I deal with FOMO is to just not have it.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    If it was out of your control, why care for it? And in the future, if you don't have the money for more cosmetics - why care that you'll miss them?

It's not necessarily that I care strongly I just really like the work the team at intrepid as done and regret I couldn't get that work to have on my character ingame as well! But I definitely like this outlook - sort of a take on 'the powers that be'.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Only one I care about is that I missed out on Stufferton while I was orchestrating my brother's funeral/memorials.
    But, I'm hoping I can find something similar in-game.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

It's not necessarily that I care strongly I just really like the work the team at intrepid as done and regret I couldn't get that work to have on my character ingame as well! But I definitely like this outlook - sort of a take on 'the powers that be'.

Look forward instead of backward. The team at Intrepid will continue to produce solid cosmetics for a long time to come. If you like the sort of thing they've done, you'll like the sort of thing they will do. Your chance will come around.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    everyone will have some of the coolest looking toons out there regardless... no one will outshine anyone else's appearance
  • Options
    BalanzBalanz Member
    The scroll case in June's Pledge is the first cosmetic to tempt me, as I can imagine wearing it in order to suggest I am a courier. One's initial Pledge also gets you a Referral Code, which is far more valuable than a cosmetic.

But then I fear missing out on my money for at least a year until the Betas actually arrive.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just don't care about store bought cosmetics. I backed the game during Kickstarter and most likely won't even use the cosmetics from the pack, I'd rather use ones that I earn in game. I backed the game because I wanted to support the idea as that's all it was at the time, get alpha access, and that sweet lifetime sub if the game ever launches. At the time if it launches was a real concern, just ask the COE backers but thankfully I think those fears are in the past.
  • Options
    I don't see FOMO you don't gain power from any of the outfits. You also aren't buying every pack if you are a normal person. Also you get gear in game to wear on your character.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »

Look forward instead of backward. The team at Intrepid will continue to produce solid cosmetics for a long time to come. If you like the sort of thing they've done, you'll like the sort of thing they will do. Your chance will come around.

Yeah this is how I am feeling currently! I will definitely be looking at getting their future packs!
    Balanz wrote: »
    The scroll case in June's Pledge is the first cosmetic to tempt me, as I can imagine wearing it in order to suggest I am a courier. One's initial Pledge also gets you a Referral Code, which is far more valuable than a cosmetic.

But then I fear missing out on my money for at least a year until the Betas actually arrive.

What's the referral you're referencing?
    darthaden wrote: »
    I just don't care about store bought cosmetics. I backed the game during Kickstarter and most likely won't even use the cosmetics from the pack, I'd rather use ones that I earn in game. I backed the game because I wanted to support the idea as that's all it was at the time, get alpha access, and that sweet lifetime sub if the game ever launches. At the time if it launches was a real concern, just ask the COE backers but thankfully I think those fears are in the past.

Yeah I am definitely happy that those who backed long ago did as without them we may not have gotten to the point we are at now! So I thank you for that! I am sure it will release!
    Dygz wrote: »
    Only one I care about is that I missed out on Stufferton while I was orchestrating my brother's funeral/memorials.
    But, I'm hoping I can find something similar in-game.

Sorry for you loss :( hope everything is as good as they can be
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited July 2022
    I personally never cared for cosmetics, especially paid ones. I play game for the gameplay loops. If I happen to get a cosmetic in the process, cool, if not, cool. The only time I feel FOMO for cosmetics is when they're highly limited and tradable on the in-game marketplace. Those I tend to buy with game currency and hold. People pay huge money to wave their transmog wangs around, and I'll happily invest to take their money.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    It’s rare when I agree with George and Noaani, but FOMO is yours to own.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    ShabobShabob Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't really have a FOMO complaint, but more about having 15,000 ember points that I can't use. I'm sure there will be really cool stuff to buy with them at release. However, I already spent $500. I don't want to keep dropping more money to buy individual cosmetics each month.
    wWk7s7B.png
  • Options
    The fact that Intrepid have stated that the current cosmetics are versions of things that they plan to use in-game means that for most current cosmetics I foresee similar version being available later.
    When it comes to Freehold cosmetics I'm even less worried since one per account means having multiples seems very redundant.

I waited for a pack I was somewhat interested in so that it seemed better value in showing support for the project.

Ultimately the FOMO side of things I don't have any issues. For marketing and funding I can understand it and respect it.
    To each their own but until the release I strongly view the FOMO cosmetics as a support avenue rather than getting value myself.
  • Options
    AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Easy, I don't suffer from it.
  • Options
    Schwann36 wrote: »
    The fact that Intrepid have stated that the current cosmetics are versions of things that they plan to use in-game means that for most current cosmetics I foresee similar version being available later.
    When it comes to Freehold cosmetics I'm even less worried since one per account means having multiples seems very redundant.

I waited for a pack I was somewhat interested in so that it seemed better value in showing support for the project.

Ultimately the FOMO side of things I don't have any issues. For marketing and funding I can understand it and respect it.
    To each their own but until the release I strongly view the FOMO cosmetics as a support avenue rather than getting value myself.

Yeah I like that outlook a lot, it's definitely a way of supporting the ongoing development and the team more so than it is a form of content as it doesn't actually provide content that differs from anyone else, purely cosmetic and therefor a preference thing.

I just wanted to see peoples outlooks as whenever something is timed - it can cause that kind of feeling is all, thanks a lot for the awesome response!
  • Options
    BalanzBalanz Member
    What's the referral you're referencing?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Referral_program

If someone uses your referral code when they first Pledge, you get 15% of the value of their Pledge as "Intrepid Bucks," which can be used for subscription fees or cosmetics (via Embers). That's why I'd pledge Beta 2 sooner rather than later.

In practice, referrals reward content creators, but I am trying to recruit an e-Sports Team, and if they Alpha 2, I will too.

Ideally, "The Boys" will protect me while I navigate the economy and politics for them.
  • Options
    How to deal with FOMO? Well, I treat real life FOMOs as investments. I have bought time limited products I liked, used them and sold 2, 3 years later for a profit.

Since I can't use AoC skins as an investment because they'll be tied to my accounts, I simply don't even look at the cool skins they sell because I won't be able to re-sell (for embers, not even real money).
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶