Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bard Class Themes

I'd like to share a few thoughts on the Bard class and what I'd like to see and get peoples opinions. (This is off the back of a Livestream question I tried for earlier in the year.) Note: I don't expect all of this to be an on-release sort of approach as it may be somewhat involved.

The wiki stats:
"Bards will have a wide range of abilities to choose from, such as wordsmithing, acting, and musical aspects."
Using music & dancing with a bard I feel is easy enough as this aligns with DnD Bard or RPG Dancer support roles. I am interested to see how/if Intrepid include wordsmithing & acting as I'm unsure how it would work in.

My main problem is a general approach to these won't always align with the feel for a region or for the players style that they want.
I'd like to see a few loose interchangeable themes such as; A seaside theme more around Sea Shanties, a theme for the upper class with a more classical approach, dwarven mountain theme with drinking songs, & a more fae-like theme to suit the forest life.
Without this you can end up with things such as elegant garbed nobles playing the same standard pub music as the pirate & woodfolk all the time.
To me, this would work better in most cases than the "custom music creation" that is mentioned as a possibility on the wiki.

These will likely need to be superseded when there are multiple bards which may take a "who's first" approach.
I'm hoping at the very least that having multiple bards will interact and compliment each other (adding extra layers to songs or dancing aligning). This is where "custom music creation" would really struggle.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I don't understand what you mean.
    At the very least, you should be expecting themes that reflect the 9 racial cultures.
    You should also expect some seasonal/biome themes.
    Sure.

There might also be Node Type themes.
  • Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes of Creation's Lead Composer is Bear McCreary. His music will be unveiled in Alpha-2 and Beta-1.[18][19]

Summoners can change the appearance of their summons.[24]

Through in-game items.[24]
    Through cosmetics that will be offered.[24]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bard
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Pets

there will be cosmetics that would be offer to change the appearance of summoners pets so idk why wouldn't there be something similar for the bard music as well.
    Bards may be able to play musical instruments, such as Flutes and Bagpipes.[11][12]
    I would imagine some how with different instruments they can both play a role in a melody if they start a party spell? or something.
    Bear McCreary who has worked on God of War, Battlestar Galactica, Outlander, Black Sails;

I also imagine there will be certain spells that are played that will have a different genre of music so one spell wouldnt just sound like the same melody over played each time you cast a spell.