Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

When should you be able to gather legendary/rare items?

Hey All,

I wanted to get the communities thoughts on gathering.

Specifically with respect to the gatherability of rare items for low level characters.

IRL you can walk past rare plants/fungi without ever knowing because you haven't done enough research to know how to identify them.

However in the same sense, you could randomly pick something up and later find out its rare.

So my question is should there always be a chance that you can gather a rare/legendary gatherable even if you do not have any artisanship skills in gathering or should you need to be a high level gatherer in order to be able to gather rare/legendary gatherables.

Thanks for your input,
Skylarck The Botanist

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps without the necessary experience you could have a LOW chance of gathering an amount of something, or a lower amount of it than a higher level. So your proficiency goes up with experience if it were to work this way.

But I think that given the scarcity of these rare materials especially for legendary - I think the thematic of it being something that would *only* even standout to pickup even randomly to someone with the requisite knowledge might be a nicer way of balancing its acquisition in game.
  • Options
    Agreed, @AidanKD.

A super low chance for new players is fine ... as it gives them a carrot to work on their crafting skills while doing other things.

That said, legendary mats should only be usable by a max level character/crafter/artificer.
  • Options
    RoxiRoxi Member
    How I see it:
    1. I am walking from point A to point B.
    2. I find a rare resource along the way.
    3. I understand that my level of extraction of this type of resource is less than the declared one.
    3.1. I'm trying to get this resource with a 0.0001% chance and I fail the collection => the resource disappears + 0 exp.
    3.2. I'm trying to get this resource with a 0.0001% chance and spend collecting => resource in inventory + X exp.
    3.3. I invite my friend (with a sufficient level to collect this resource) to come to me and pick up the resource.
    3.4. I sell information about the location of this resource in the chat (in the city). + money.
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • Options
    Roxi wrote: »
    How I see it:

How do you know when/if you find a rare resource if you are too low level? Or are all gatherable automatically identifiable as gatherable with a shimmer/sparkle?
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited July 2022
    To me, if your skill isn't high enough you can't properly harvest rare materials because you ruin them in the process.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    Dolyem wrote: »
    To me, if your skill isn't high enough you can't properly harvest rare materials because you ruin them in the process.

I was just thinking that. A person comes across a rare harvestable and they don't have the proper skill level... They attempt to harvest the item... The item is destroyed and is now no longer able to be harvested by someone with the proper skill level.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    RoxiRoxi Member
    How I see it:

How do you know when/if you find a rare resource if you are too low level? Or are all gatherable automatically identifiable as gatherable with a shimmer/sparkle?

A certain glow/shine is possible. Moreover, when collecting resources, you must understand which ones you can collect and which not. You may not even realize that it is rare, trying to collect it and not getting the result.

I was inspired by the treasure chests from the early l2 chronicles. Everyone could try their luck, but not everyone could open it.
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • Options
    RoxiRoxi Member
    Samson wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »

I was just thinking that. A person comes across a rare harvestable and they don't have the proper skill level... They attempt to harvest the item... The item is destroyed and is now no longer able to be harvested by someone with the proper skill level.

This will only increase the value of the item. And the pleasure of receiving it.
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    This will only increase the value of the item. And the pleasure of receiving it.

I can see your point. I'm not 100% opposed to this idea but I do see how it could potentially be abused and, in return, hurt the gathering system/economy as a whole.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Samson wrote: »

I can see your point. I'm not 100% opposed to this idea but I do see how it could potentially be abused and, in return, hurt the gathering system/economy as a whole.

That could be a good thing though. Just kinda spit balling but In the large node game being played it could be a tool used by the group and something needed to be reacted to by the opposing group. Obviously without numbers we can't tell. But if a node is prepping for an attack or defense you could potentially try and drain resources
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    If any low level has a chance at gathering a high level item then I'm afraid that bot-types will scour the map and ruin the experience for the rest of us, not sure how to avoid it but it will happen.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Caww wrote: »
    If any low level has a chance at gathering a high level item then I'm afraid that bot-types will scour the map and ruin the experience for the rest of us, not sure how to avoid it but it will happen.

That part's easy. It's not economically feasible. Unless the devs make these legendary items common enough that they are more profitable than just gathering hundreds of normal items to sell, bots will never have a reason to care.
  • Options
    RoxiRoxi Member
    We must understand that we are talking about RARE / LEGENDARY resources. Which can appear throughout Verra under certain weather / time of day / season conditions and at different spawn points.
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I liked the way that A1 was doing it:

If your gathering skill was low, you could not spot the resource. RL example, without training in geology, you aren't going to recognize the rock strata might have gold deposits.

If your tools are too low, you cannot gather the high-level resource. RL example, even if you spot gold in the rocks, without dynamite, a rock crusher and a high-volume sifter system, you cannot extract the gold.

So, I prefer that both a high level of skill and a high level of equipment are required to harvest a rare resource.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »

If your gathering skill was low, you could not spot the resource. RL example, without training in geology, you aren't going to recognize the rock strata might have gold deposits.

If your tools are too low, you cannot gather the high-level resource. RL example, even if you spot gold in the rocks, without dynamite, a rock crusher and a high-volume sifter system, you cannot extract the gold.

So, I prefer that both a high level of skill and a high level of equipment are required to harvest a rare resource.

I think this is the route I would prefer as well. Also A+ examples!
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    tautau wrote: »

Would say someone with the wrong tools who had heard about something potentially valuble could still ruin a resource by trying to collect what he though was that resource tho. Idk. I hate starting out at a gatherer and everything i walk up to is like, nah, you suck, go pick other flowers. Id rather pick them, and get no resources because i didnt know what i was doing. Then the game saying, no to me even trying

Maybe just add some punishments for trying to gather whats too high of level for your skill. Poison herbs that hurt or kill the harvester. Rockslides if you mess up mining. And so on.

The alpha 1 already had a quest that killed you for picking too many of a certain flower.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Otr When you scoop gravel into a dish to pan for gold, do you know the % chance of finding a nugget? Nope, you don't (apart from knowing it is pretty darn low). Same thing with harvesting...use your experience to estimate a chance, but the world shouldn't supply you with probabilities.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Otr wrote: »
    @tautau The Ancients already gathered all gold with this easy trick.
    Now is the risk vs reward mantra everywhere. :smile:
    and "our game's not going to be for everybody and that's okay"

The way I see this is when you realize a large fish is pulling, will you try to catch it with your low fishing skills, risking to break the fishing pole?
    Or when you see a piece of diamond in the rock. Getting it out without breaking it into smaller pieces might require more care/time from the less skilled harvester.

Yeah, I prefer to learn by doing - even if this results in some waste in the beginning. My hope is that the graded materials you can get from a node are intuitive, and there are both low level, mid level, high level, and rare materials that can be extracted from the same node.

I thought FFXIV did a good job implementing a similar model with their gathering.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png