Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Friends and I Would Love More Feminine Packs/Armor

RyanTheSirenRyanTheSiren Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
I know this is a fairly common request but I just wanted to throw another one out there.

I have grown up playing MMORPGs and throughout all of them the vast majority of my in-game friends have been IRL women. Of them, a large majority of them (myself included) really enjoy when games have feminine/pretty armor and cloth clothing options and general aesthetics on mounts/housing/etc.

I am super excited for Ashes and I've been supporting it for around 2 years now at this point since I bought my Alpha 2 pack, but a lot of my friends have been holding out this entire time waiting for a pack that appeals to them aesthetically, and it's hard because we only get maybe 1-2 "feminine" packs a year at February if we are lucky (didn't get one this Feb tho....)

I just wanted to come on here and say that I hope that we could see a few more feminine/pretty packs in the future, as I'd love for my friends to be able to get into A2 with me but they really don't want to drop that much money until there is a pack that they genuinely like the look of!

I know lots of men (for some reason) like to come on here and say that Ashes shouldn't have any feminine/revealing/whatever armor, but I prefer to listen to the actual female gamers on the topic and the majority of the ones I know really enjoy when these options are in game as long as they are just that: OPTIONS. It's not fun being FORCED to have every gear you wear as a female character be super revealing and non-practical, but the opposite is also true, it's not fun when those options don't exist at all. And so far the vast majority of armor we have seen has been way more on the masculine aesthetic side, in our opinion. The only "feminine" stuff we ever see are like fancy ballroom gowns, which are nice but it would also be nice to see a nice femininely styled mixture of cloth/plate armor.

Comments

• Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Armor will not be overly sexual in appearance.[55]

I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue.[54] – Steven Sharif

Some armor and costumes will be more revealing than others, but there will not be nudity in the game.[57]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor

For non-battle wise I personally don't see why there shouldn't be a casual gear set although looking at the general outline of the era probably expect a sun dress vibe?

For your friends I can understand why you probably want to wait, but at the same time I would suggest just buying a pack and once the game actually release find the outfits in the game.

I would wait for this pack to switch considering it should be switching anytime soon consider its July now and I believe its every month.

just my two cents though
  • Options
    RyanTheSirenRyanTheSiren Member
    edited July 2022
    just my two cents though

Thanks for commenting! To be completely frank, I feel like Steven's quote there is completely baseless when we take into consideration that there already exists a giant, impractical ballgown dress cosmetic, a wedding dress and suit cosmetic, a fisherman outfit cosmetic, etc.

For actual ARMOR items, then yes, I agree with him, but with cosmetics I don't agree at all

Cosmetics don't have to be "practical armor" because they aren't armor, they're cosmetic, haha

And yeah we have our fingers crossed for this month's pack, but as long as she and my other friends are able to find a pack she likes before A2 starts I'll be happy!

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Maybe, for now, the devs are concentrating on modeling armor that will outfit NPCs, rather than on costumes.
    I know we had the Harmony gown back in 2018. It's not bikini plate.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I hope you get them.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For non-battle wise I personally don't see why there shouldn't be a casual gear set although looking at the general outline of the era probably expect a sun dress vibe?

Oh! I'm on board. I would totally wear "downtime outfit" sundress at least some of the time. This please, Intrepid!
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    For real. This is something intrepid needs to address we have this thread all the time because they keep adding stuff that's the opposite.

Widen the target audience on cosmetics to include people that want to look feminine please. As op said it's been well over a year since anything with even the slightest hint of feminine appeal was added.

Hopefully there's something soon.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    As a Roleplayer I am all for casual gear.

Fun fact, in Final Fantasy, despite all the cool armour sets, casual gear remains one of the most popular (and expensive) items.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    as long as it's not too revealing or sexual, sure... I would hate to provide fuel for ERP communities to turn AoC into the shit show FF14 is.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    234Graph234Graph Member
    edited July 2022
    Liniker wrote: »
    as long as it's not too revealing or sexual, sure... I would hate to provide fuel for ERP communities to turn AoC into the shit show FF14 is.

This
  • Options
    We actually had a really long thread on armour a few months back and I think the community was overwhelmingly supportive of more feminine armour and alot of great examples were provided which were able to be feminine without being absolutely scantily clad.

I think that given we have cosmetics like the King/Queen outfit, we should be able to have some cosmetics available which aren't "combat armour" but can be someone thematic to the world of Verra. Given we will have coastal nodes, perhaps some more summer-themed outfits wouldn't be a stretch :)