Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion for Magic Action Combat.

As a player that normally plays casters, I feel that even tho my spells look flashy with particle effects and whatnot, I would like some more "skill" and combo work to make them look cool and interesting. So this is my suggestion:

I hope that Intrepid can take inspiration from the shock rifle in Unreal Tournament for the magic action combat.
In Unreal Tournament when you are using this weapon, your right mouse click sends out a pretty slow-moving orb and the left click sends out an instant shot. Damage vise (just picking some numbers) the single-shot does 50, the orb does 100, but if you shoot the orb with the single shot, the orb will explode for 300 Damage.

I feel this would be a really interesting mechanic for Ashes, and make action combat more fun for casters. It would also make AoE'ing harder (thinking sieges) but still rewarding if you pull it off.
Throw in what we learned about movement and player agency and it would be even more advanced. The orb could have 2 seconds cast and a heavy movement penalty and the singe-shot could be instant with a very little movement penalty.

PS:
In Unreal Tournament you could shoot the enemy's orbs so it exploded in their face. That's something that would heighten the PVP tension in Ashes. 😀

In the link below you can see the weapon explained and in action: :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o5oUvkpaHg

Comments

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Would someone else be able to detonate the pulse or does it have to be the original caster?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    +1 for referencing Unreal Tournament. One of my favorite games of all time. :) I like the idea of being able to combo a couple caster abilities.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    RoxiRoxi Member
    According to this mechanics, you can activate the set trap (trap) with a bow shot. For example.
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Would someone else be able to detonate the pulse or does it have to be the original caster?

I think it would be awesome if anyone could detonate the orb/pulse, but that is my opinion. It could also tie into the risk vs reward thinking that Steven has. :smile:

This is also just one example of a potential lightning magic combo (with a really awesome black hole effect with the detonation as seen in the video). This type of combo could also be added to a fire version for a fire explosion with a burning DoT or an ice version for a freeze effect f.exp. :)
  • Options
    Roxi wrote: »
    According to this mechanics, you can activate the set trap (trap) with a bow shot. For example.

Ye that would be cool, at least if you have augmented your bow shot with the right type of magic/element.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    My suggestion for mage action combat xD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCtARsbRjzM

I really love Dragons Dogma as well! :smiley: I especially think that Intrepid should take some inspiration from how they aim ground AoE's. That effect looks som much better than a green circle on the ground like in WoW (tho it is maybe less accurate). That way of aiming could also work while swimming, as that problem is something I believe they are working to solve.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'd like the option to have a fireball (direct damange + AOE + maybe DOT) target a mob versus a location. There are big advantages to both. The high-magic RPG (rocket propelled grenade) ftw.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In the Dragon's Dogma vid above...
    I didn't like the Lightning Whip.
    I kinda like the Fire and Ice attacks, but I'd need to see what the telegraphs are for when I'm being attacked.
    Part of the fun of Action Combat is having the telegraphs represent peripheral vision.