Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Suggest/Discuss] Queue Time v. Server Pop.

LeukaelLeukael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
An idea for a better experience on launch would be instead of providing server population provide estimated queue time or average queue time.

Players often look at population as an opportunity for a content rather than the cost in terms of queue time.

Thoughts?
Stag-Axiom-Sig-LEAUK3.png

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    edited July 2022
    Server pop seems the best way, queue time is way too variable
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why not both?
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    Elder wrote: »
    Why not both?

both
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    5kmpypdd90es.gif
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Caww wrote: »

To me Caww, people look at server populations as an opportunity for content and don't think of the cost. I think provided the cost for them to assess would be helpful to provide. As far as, what server log in time to provide just provide an average and label it as such. Or expected/projected.

To me, that would potentially help the initial launch to provide a better experience for the average player.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    5kmpypdd90es.gif

You get a glut of bonus points for quoting El Dorado. My wife and I are the two people in the Miguel and Tulio fan-club.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Leukael wrote: »
    An idea for a better experience on launch would be instead of providing server population provide estimated queue time or average queue time.

Players often look at population as an opportunity for a content rather than the cost in terms of queue time.

Thoughts?

Estimated queue times are never average
    Average queue times are average, but ever changing
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Jahlon wrote: »

Thoughts?

Estimated queue times are never average
    Average queue times are average, but ever changing

The estimated would be for launch when no dataset exists. The average would be based on a prior timeframe once enough data has been collected and change as the timeframe elapses. Not sure if that was an observation of ask for clarity so provided it just to be sure. :blush:
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    5kmpypdd90es.gif

You get a glut of bonus points for quoting El Dorado. My wife and I are the two people in the Miguel and Tulio fan-club.

His wife.... i never had a chance
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

To me Caww, people look at server populations as an opportunity for content and don't think of the cost. I think provided the cost for them to assess would be helpful to provide. As far as, what server log in time to provide just provide an average and label it as such. Or expected/projected.

To me, that would potentially help the initial launch to provide a better experience for the average player.

Most MMO players understand the notion that higher population means longer queues at launch. The thing is, they also understand that higher population means a healthy server for longer. No one wants to be in the first round of server mergers.

My preference would be for both, but if it could only be one thing, I'd go for number of people in the queue.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Most MMO players understand the notion that higher population means longer queues at launch. The thing is, they also understand that higher population means a healthy server for longer. No one wants to be in the first round of server mergers.

My preference would be for both, but if it could only be one thing, I'd go for number of people in the queue.

I definitely think both would be best. I just think in terms of a casual gamer they probably don't think about the queue as readily or instantly. I'm trying to think of that in this instance. The WOW Andy if you will.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    I think we should get server population, amount of people in the queue, a time estimate on the queue, and the account name thats been logged in the longest, so i know who to "pvp" later.
  • Options
    I think we should get server population, amount of people in the queue, a time estimate on the queue, and the account name thats been logged in the longest, so i know who to "pvp" later.

Too funny!