Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Really hoping I’ll be able to play AoC on steam deck!

Would love to see the Anticheat for the game work with the steam deck. Steam deck users will have to install through the official launcher which isn’t much of an issue. A big issue with the other mmos on the market is that their anticheat isn’t compatible with Linux

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    They aren't planning on putting the game on Steam.

Can you play non steam games on a steam deck?
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    They've also stated in the past that it would be PC only, so don't expect any crossovers any time soon
    tK6oEvp.png
  • Options
    Jahlon wrote: »

Yes you can install non-steam game on the steam deck! It runs on Linux. You can run games on Linux through an open source translation layer called Proton that was developed by Valve/Steam. No extra port work would be needed aside from allowing the anti-cheat to work with Proton.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Jahlon wrote: »

Yup. Quite easily too.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wonder how steam deck would even perform in AOC to be honest.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    SteamOS is fairly light weight, at least when compared to Windows. If it supports the Deck's resolution, it would perform better then you might think. For reference. I easily get around 50~60 fps on Cyberpunk 2077. A game which is quite badly optimised. Sure, most settings are low and medium, but on a relatively small screen it looks crisp and sharp.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    cdragonecdragone Member
    edited October 2022
    I own a steam deck and I'm playing Baldurs Gate 3 without any issues - I would consider that game also as a high graphic req. game. As a note the graphic settings are not turned to max for sure, since that would be a bit of an overkill. I've also played GTFO on that port and it runs relatively good.
    I believe that if we can add the launcher to the deck we could get this game running (it's a great option for people who travel a lot).
    I support this thread as a good idea.
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited October 2022
    As long as you're not trying to raid with me, and take forever to target the mobs, and don't spin in circles slowly trying to face the correct way, or spend 10 mins in menus because it's not as reactive as a mouse.

But if you're against me in PvP, go for it.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited October 2022
    Vyril wrote: »

Bottom Line: You don't want to be playing serious Ashes content on Steam Deck. :D

Logging in to decorate your freehold from bed?

There's a good time to use Steam Deck ...
  • Options
    Vyril wrote: »

Bottom Line: You don't want to be playing serious Ashes content on Steam Deck. :D

Logging in to decorate your freehold from bed? There's a good time to use Steam Deck ...

For some sure, but let's be real others will 100% try to do all the content.
  • Options
    People ask about "Steam Deck", but it's not about Steam Deck... it's about Proton!... Which is the Win32/64/DirectX implementation used by the Steam Deck and other Linux desktop platforms to run games written against those API's... IE, "Windows" games... It soon won't just be Steam Deck either, since Ayaneo are doing the same thing in their latest releases apparently.

We'd love Intrepid to actively support us, but honestly... we realise that's not super practical... so, all we ask is that you don't actively block us... IE, if the game uses EAC, just tick the box to include the library that's needed.... pretty sure there's a few of us out here with Alpha 2 access that want to deal with any issues in Proton that stop it running AoC ASAP... so that it does work on launch day, even if we're not getting any /help/ to do that!...

To answer the comment above "As long as you're not trying to raid with me, and take forever to target the mobs, and don't spin in circles slowly" - I'd point out that I have never owned a Windows computer, well... not past Windows 95 anyway... and during Vanilla and TBC I was raiding at the highest level in Black Temple and Sunwell, if the raid leader thought for one moment that there was a problem, I wouldn't have been there... and I was running in Wine version 0.9something... the current version of Proton is based on Wine 8.something... things are on another level now compared to then!.... I have no issue running other UE5 games, Forza Horizon etc...
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2023
    Nope. You got nothing better to talk about than promote this?
  • Options

Actually, no, because the bottom line is, I'm not buying a dedicated PC for Ashes, so I'm looking to make sure any bugs in Proton that might cause an issue are fixed well before release.
  • Options
    Knevah wrote: »

Actually, no, because the bottom line is, I'm not buying a dedicated PC for Ashes, so I'm looking to make sure any bugs in Proton that might cause an issue are fixed well before release.

dual boot!
  • Options
    Actually, no, because the bottom line is, I'm not buying a dedicated PC for Ashes …

Not sure if this is serious or low quality bait … what type of Ashes content are you planning to play on SteamDeck?
  • Options
    I think this depends 100% on system requirements.
    They have internally changed those, and have not released any details on what is currently needed to run ashes.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vissox wrote: »
    I think this depends 100% on system requirements.
    They have internally changed those, and have not released any details on what is currently needed to run ashes.

What good news you've brought. I often thought the old specs were too low for the engine.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    KnevahKnevah Member
    edited October 2023
    Actually, no, because the bottom line is, I'm not buying a dedicated PC for Ashes …

Not sure if this is serious or low quality bait … what type of Ashes content are you planning to play on SteamDeck?

Not bait, but also not quite what you think... suffice to say that the steam deck is a proxy for Linux gaming in general... since the steam deck itself is simply a traditional Linux desktop, plus Steam with a custom handheld UI, there are a few other differences, but that's the basic summary.

The major things that Valve has done are to create Proton as a standardized platform that can be targeted, and The Steam Deck itself as a polished, popular console platform that we can refer to as an /example/.

If the Steam Deck is supported, then more serious gaming systems running whatever version of Linux will almost certainly also be supported as they can use Proton also to leverage that well understood platform....

I doubt that people would play Ashes handheld, that seems impossible to me... I don't know about the hardware requirements, but certainly the deck can also be attached to a screen/keyboard/mouse for that... so perhaps it's possible (I managed to eek out 40fps from Forza Horizon 5 on my laptop with an AMD CPU/iGPU which is FAR less powerful than the deck, so perhaps it's not do crazy?)... but my personal interest in "Steam Deck" support is really because that also covers my proper desktop.

I also found this, which is kinda interesting... I'm sure it's a best case scenario, but still.

https://video.hardlimit.com/w/uZGK12oU5FeSsy8CDLP4hD

That's as much as a full GPU generation improvement...

It's not made clear, but if you examine the video, you can see this is an AMD 7900X CPU, paired with a Radeon RX 7900XTX GPU.

Also, please understand that there may be some confusion about the term "supported"... Linux people will tend to interpret "supported" as "it runs fine"... it does not mean that we expect to be able to call up the support hotline and ask for help... we understand that those guys are trained to help with Windows, and only Windows... For sure I have reported many issues with other MMO's while running on Linux, but it was either obvious that they were issues with the game itself, or I will get someone else to check that they can replicate the same issue on Windows.
  • Options
    who wouldnt want to be able to play on the DECK.
  • Options
    koalies wrote: »
    Would love to see the Anticheat for the game work with the steam deck. Steam deck users will have to install through the official launcher which isn’t much of an issue. A big issue with the other mmos on the market is that their anticheat isn’t compatible with Linux

Do you happen to know why that is?
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<