Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My thoughts

Hello,

I don't know if this is gong to reach any ones eyes, but I hope that it does. I like many others have played many MMO games for the PVP and the RPG (Story) of the game. There are things I like from some games and things I REALLY DISLIKE (HATE) from the same games. For me every game starts with the looks of the Character (toon), and looking at unreal engine 5 you all have the covered, Gratz. Then comes the name, and this is the sticking point for me as I have to look at that name like the toon everyday and listen to others call me that name. So having a name that is taken is just crap. I mean if you where born in this world and your mom or dad wanted to name you Steven, but was told that there was someone in FL that had that name and pick another, well that would not be the greatest. And having a name Steven666, yeah kids don't want to call you that at school and I don't want people calling me that in the game. If you take a look at how Neverwinter did the naming in that game you will see that you can have thousands of Stevens as they are have an @ handle that you have to know to mail them things or talk to them. This was the ONLY thing that came out of that game that was worth a hill of beans. I don't know if you have something like that for this game but if not this would be something worth looking into. Guildwars, the 1st one, was the best game I ever played. There were so many different PVP things you could do, so many different builds you could do, just so much you could do and the events like X-Mass where off the chain. Then they came out with Guildwars2, which was not Guildwars. And I was not feeling it. I like that you have to scrape a map to get it 100% cleared and do this on many lands to get a hard title. Then when you got the title everyone would PM you to Gratz you because they knew how hard it was to get.

Thank you for listening.

Comments

• Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    TLDR

Wants names to not have to be original, suggesting "@ handles....", or hidden numbers similar to discord i believe, didnt play neverwinter myself for their example
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Why not. As long as the handle appears in the combat log with the dmg numbers etc etc.
  • Options
    Example are I am Frank Castel@SOB#67895 and you can be Frank Castel@WTF#4597. It will show us both as Frank Castel and you click on the person you will see their @ handle to DM, make friends, or mail them stuff
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    O5Q9J81.png
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited July 2022
    I’m a fan of how NWO did this. 👍
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm not the biggest fan of this.

From memory (I haven't played NWO since a few months after it came out), the game is currently played on a single server now. This does make it harder for everyone to have a unique name that they are happy with.

Since Ashes will only be 50k characters per server (or there about), it shouldn't be hard for players to find a name they are happy with.

Further, from what I understand of NWO, even years after release, many players didn't realize that different players could have characters with the same name. This makes scamming unsuspecting players far easier than it would otherwise be.

Sure, players that know what's going on will be fine, but they are not the ones that are at issue here.

To me, there would need to be a really good reason to have this that counters the increase in scamming it will without a doubt introduce.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd prefer that names stay unique, actually. In games heavier on social dynamics like AOC, I'd prefer people weren't able to copy the name of the most prominent mayor or their favorite streamer. If HulkWarbound was Mayor of the most powerful node and leader of the most prominent guild, and everybody on the server knew his name... I'd prefer I didn't see a bunch of randos named HulkWarbound and have to check their profile to know if they were the original.

Yes, not being able to use your favorite username is frustrating, but knowing that everybody's name is unique makes up for that.

Again, this is games that are heavier on social dynamics. Something like WoW has no real reason not to give players their preferred name.
  • Options
    I guess they could add like 2 names, 1 that can be duped and 1 unique and be both visible like First and Last name for example? Though Crow3 would hate me since I also use Crow as part of any name I use in any game :D
  • Options
    With the limitless variations available in the world I don't think it should be too difficult to have unique names. You could add Surnames and then that amount grows exponentially.

Happy with the @-tagging!
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Waryasei wrote: »
    Though Crow3 would hate me since I also use Crow as part of any name I use in any game :D

I don’t have that incessant need to be unique. The more the merrier. Imagine having a guild named < Murder of Crows > where everyone had crow in their name.

No caravan would be safe.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Waryasei wrote: »
    Though Crow3 would hate me since I also use Crow as part of any name I use in any game :D

I don’t have that incessant need to be unique. The more the merrier. Imagine having a guild named < Murder of Crows > where everyone had crow in their name.

No caravan would be safe.

Would definitely join such a guild
  • Options
    And having a name Steven666, yeah kids don't want to call you that at school and I don't want people calling me that in the game.
    I understand the thought but I mean, nobody will call you Steven666, they will just call you Steven. Unless there is another Steven around, why would anyone take the extra time to say the 666? And even if there was another Steven around, people would find a nickname or call you MageSteven (probably). I just don't think it's that common an issue even if it is a small issue in the first place.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited July 2022
    Hello,

I wants to haves mah own nayme.

Thank you for listening.

"A character's nameplate is displayed above their head.[18]

This can be the first, and optionally last name (surname).[18]
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character#Nameplate

So, "Steven" is your first name, and your "666" is your surname, and you choose to display your First Name above your head. You're now Steven. As is the guy standing next to you whose surname is 667. It's all good. Everyone's happy.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/