Basic Combat vs Environmental Combat advantages:

RiddicksRiddicks Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
What are your thoughts on environmental verticality combat when applying it through motion & chain skills? Intrepid explained the roots towards the weight of a weapon in comparison to its calibration applied to its range of damage and feel. These attacks are basic to combat, but when applying it to the environment it changes the effect of its damage aftermath/trigger/effect.

For example: Like transitioning from running up a rock then jumping off utilizing your skill to apply gravity towards increasing your damage’s output/aftermath effect rather than the normal attacks? Or instead, basic gap closers vs environmental gap closers. Basic attacks you move towards them fast then follow up with an attack. However, environmental gap closers using the terrain (Sand/wet terrain) in order to close the gap towards your enemy faster by sliding and attacking simultaneously but consumes more stamina.

This allows players in both PVP and PVE to use environment to further enhance their respond rates/skill bar/strategy? Seasons can play a big part in this with wind and weather, but I know this can be complex. Any thoughts?

Comments

• PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I wouldnt expect sliding and such to end up in ashes combat. But its interesting.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds like scope creep, to me.
  • RiddicksRiddicks Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    What would you guys like to see when interacting with the environment combat in terms of beginner, intermediate, and advanced combat if you had to give your perspective?
  • I like the idea of incorporating movement mechanics into the combat, it'd definitely give the system a more dynamic feel -- especially when combined with the way weather is planned to effect skills and movement
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2022
    Dont know how complicated it would be to implement very interactive environmental abilities for all classes if we want to be realistic with regards to development timeframes.

But such abilities could help with the identity of the classes.
    I can see archers to have some sparta kick which would potentially kick enemy players off castle walls. It is a situational ability and interacts with the environment.
    It contributes to the functionality of the class by providing a great advantage in a scenario where the archers play a prominent role.
  • I can see archers to have some sparta kick which would potentially kick enemy players off castle walls. It is a situational ability and interacts with the environment.
    It contributes to the functionality of the class by providing a great advantage in a scenario where the archers play a prominent role.

Right!?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Really cool idea, it adds depth and strategy, and gives situational tools outside of the characters themselves that players can use to their advantage.
  • They’re already planning on having weather affect certain spell effects, so maybe they’re already planning on having weather affect other combat areas too? Hard to say. The terrain and momentum concepts sound interesting, but highly complex in an mmo space as far as I can imagine. That sounds pretty complex even for a single player game, considering I’ve never seen one with a system quite like that. Would be cool, but I’d rather not have them spend time on another system that’s never been done before in an MMO.