Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Raid : Sense of Achievement

DeliaszDeliasz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
The Intrepid Studios released a new Alpha Two boss information for their upcoming Alpha 2 test phase.

Last night, before bed, I was thinking about how to make Raid boss encounters even more “Fun” for the players. I will try to define Fun in a few points:
  • Sense of Achievement
  • Memorable moments
  • Mechanics of the Boss and the whole raid environment
  • Scale of it
  • Drops
  • Social engagement

Above you can see some general characteristics of Fun Raid. I do know that for all of the players it will be a bit different but on a grand scale, I believe it could be a core experience expectation. How could any game developer try to make it even more awesome?
Let’s start from the beginning. Raids are repeatable events due to the nature of the design. If we remove items left after slaying a monster we are left only with pure combat/tactics challenge.
I would like to see developers introduce a system for the Algorithm/s responsible for handling the Raid event.
  • The system would recognize players by their unique game ID
  • The system will evaluate the player's level/items/skills etc.
  • The system would check how many times a player with that ID was able to complete this raid
  • The system would have different types of mechanics depending on the overall game progress and players challenging the raid
  • The system will adapt to the players and world and trigger the level of difficulty
  • The system would have special extra mechanics
The system would target players with more expertise/experience in this Raid more often*
Developers could also design either fully AI-based voice acting or hire people to do voice acting for the Raid monsters.

Just imagine a situation where you are going to challenge the Raid and the Dragon speaks to you “It’s you again you filthy human(player name written in the chat), this time I will not be Slain by you”

It will give players a sense of achievement.

With current technology, we just need to dream big and the rest will be achieved.
Time goes fast. Time is a speed freak :D

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The concept and effect of 'Server Hate' is interesting but poses many problems when even halfway implemented. Even moreso when players can't see or understand the values. To the point where some wouldn't even believe in it and would end up blaming others for situations unless the dragon 'spoke to' every player it had any amount of functional 'Server Hate' against.

Anecdotal Source: Yagudo Campaign General Vee Qiqa the Decreer. (finally, years later, she no longer heads for me first).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I'd prefer that raids not be "repeatable".

Deliasz: The system would recognize players by their unique game ID -
    Seems like that's probaby already in the design.
    ---Dygz

Deliasz: The system will evaluate the player's level/items/skills etc. -
    I disagree. Encounters, including raids, should be generic, rather than assessing details like items and skill point distribution. I'd rather the devs develop AI in other ways... closer to StoryBricks.
    ---Dygz

Deliasz: The system would check how many times a player with that ID was able to complete this raid. -
    ---Dygz

Deliasz: The system will adapt to the players and world and trigger the level of difficulty. -
    ---Dygz

Deliasz: The system would have different types of mechanics depending on the overall game progress and players challenging the raid. -
    One of the design elements that we're implementing into our raids is that the raid will not be exactly the same every single time. You're going to have variables that can't necessarily be pre-planned out for. You can pre-plan out for a lot of the raid like how many DPS do you need and healers and support; where the key position and all that kind of stuff; but I think the compelling aspect of Ashes raiding will be the difficulty in achieving this content and having that content change from session to session as well. We want there to be variables that get manifested by you know what type of node got developed elsewhere. Is he going to have acolytes or cultists? What will the acolytes have skills [available] to them? What kit is the boss gonna have? What available skill repertoire will the boss be able to [wield]? ... A lot of those systems are influenced obviously by world development. So the raid kind of takes into account at what stage has the world developed: Are there two metropolises now available in the world? Okay well let's activate this skill in this skill. Now you have five metropolises, well now all these skills have been activated. Are there are they all economic nodes? Are they all military nodes? That we can change things based on that stuff. And it really is a threat assessment from the environment against the players.
    ---Steven
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'd prefer that raids not be "repeatable".
    Well, they will be - as you yourself just quoted.
    One of the design elements that we're implementing into our raids is that the raid will not be exactly the same every single time. You're going to have variables that can't necessarily be pre-planned out for. You can pre-plan out for a lot of the raid like how many DPS do you need and healers and support;

While they may not be exactly the same, the bulk of each encounter will be. If the bulk of the encounter can change, then the last part of the above statement wont be true.

As such, even with a little variation present, encounters will be repeatable.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Repeatable is in quotes for a reason.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Repeatable is in quotes for a reason.

I'm not a mind reader, I have no idea why it is in quotes. Usually people clarify what they mean if the words they use are not the ones they mean.
  • Options
    DeliaszDeliasz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Dygz Thanks for pasting that info. Somehow I missed that one out. Can't track all of it ;)
    There is a lot of "probably" in your statement. Still, I hope you are right!

Deliasz: The system would check how many times a player with that ID was able to complete this raid. -
    ---Dygz

I still believe there could be some special type of Raids where all those can be implemented.

Thanks for the valuable response.

Time goes fast. Time is a speed freak :D
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of raids automatically getting harder the more times you complete them. I do think it would be good to have higher difficulties unlock by completing the previous X number of times - Assuming the higher difficulty has better rewards. I wouldn't want to be "punished" with more difficult farming because I'm good.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png