Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Verticality of the game world

VurrghVurrgh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
What is your opinion on the verticality within the game? For me, it's an important aspect of every fantasy world. There is more to explore on the same area of the map, there can be cave, mountain hideouts etc. I also find it quite immersive, as it adds a level of impressiveness that we cannot often see in the real world, be it nature or cities.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vurrgh wrote: »
    What is your opinion on the verticality within the game? For me, it's an important aspect of every fantasy world. There is more to explore on the same area of the map, there can be cave, mountain hideouts etc. I also find it quite immersive, as it adds a level of impressiveness that we cannot often see in the real world, be it nature or cities.

As of Alpha-1, I hadn't encountered any verticality that I honestly found engaging or interesting.

I don't usually care about it in games because most games just put it there as a vista. Sure, you CAN climb to the top of the mountain or whatever, but there's no reason to usually, in my experiences.

And since game characters in MMOs don't tire from climbing or have similar reactions normally, I prefer when the verticality is limited to just a bit of 'hill' or something, in terms of my personal experience.

I don't generally find it more immersive, but I think I know some ways that I would, if they were added. I don't expect them to be added to Ashes, so I'll hope they're added to a different upcoming game that I plan to play, as it's explicitly part of their design.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I dislike it when there are invisible barriers that prevent players from walking on chasms and dying.
    I hope that there will be lots of mountainous hunting grounds and dangers of falling down. Maybe some mobs can have pushback attacks. Would be cool for pvp as well. If you fall so far down, dying, would be a big task to get rezed by your group.
    The stakes are high, the game becomes engaging and adventurous.
    Mountains, towers, castle walls. Mmos dont do them justice.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    When you climbed the highest mountain in L2, you found a monument with the initials of every developer inscribed on it.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Azherae wrote: »
    I don't usually care about it in games because most games just put it there as a vista. Sure, you CAN climb to the top of the mountain or whatever, but there's no reason to usually, in my experiences.

All those words are English, but I just don't comprehend what you're saying. ;)

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Verticality can be fun and awesome for exploration and easter eggs. However with the stated rarity of flying mounts in Ashes I worry about making verticality a feat that's only truly achievable by people with hours of free time to walk into a cliff face or people with flying mounts. If a lot of it were to be implemented it should be done to do things like shorten travel times or lead to some interesting, albeit not necessary, content or access to some unique portions of rare materials that the elite can fight over.
    So, Ashes team, my advice is if you are making some really cool stuff accessible through verticality, which is a really cool idea, make it so everyone can still practically access it through a bit of meaningful effort (like killing mobs) and not trying to cheese around it 👍
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    When you climbed the highest mountain in L2, you found a monument with the initials of every developer inscribed on it.

Or climbing the highest tower to find one of L2's World bosses, or going all the way down through a cave or volcano to find others.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2022
    Verticality can be fun and awesome for exploration and easter eggs. However with the stated rarity of flying mounts in Ashes I worry about making verticality a feat that's only truly achievable by people with hours of free time to walk into a cliff face or people with flying mounts. If a lot of it were to be implemented it should be done to do things like shorten travel times or lead to some interesting, albeit not necessary, content or access to some unique portions of rare materials that the elite can fight over.
    So, Ashes team, my advice is if you are making some really cool stuff accessible through verticality, which is a really cool idea, make it so everyone can still practically access it through a bit of meaningful effort (like killing mobs) and not trying to cheese around it 👍

Dont worry about the 0.00001% of the population that will have flying mounts.
    I agree with the last sentense, and that's how good mmos do it.
  • Options
    I am very much an advocate of verticality! Love climbing to the highest places and witnessing the great views. Jumping puzzles being incorporated in places are fantastic. Please don't procedurally generate these huge mountains, landscapes and leave it there. design them with some intent. Make routes that need to be discovered. Some more visible, some hidden. Think of the traditional cave in the waterfall. But be creative with it.

Have something waiting for us even if it's just an easter egg or a little snippet of lore, put it out there. Those kind of little rewards will get people out there looking.
  • Options
    I miss games where parkour was a thing and sometimes you'd find "secret" content such as caves, quests, shops, etc. if you explored different places, up high or down low.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds like an action/adventure game, rather than an rpg.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »

I dont think vericality in the world marks something as not an rpg.... its more just debaiting simplistic map design, vs hidden pathways, and reasons to explore every inch of a room.... as well as fleshing out the world.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    A number of RPGs reward players for exploration in open areas - Skyrim, W3, AC:O, even Ultima VII
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    A number of RPGs reward players for exploration in open areas - Skyrim, W3, AC:O, even Ultima VII

Another hand touches The Beacon!!!
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    Seeing mountains and knowing that many or most are inaccessible cosmetic landscape pieces is a definite turnoff and is cheesy.
  • Options
    GrilledCheeseMojitoGrilledCheeseMojito Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like jump buttons in games, and I really dislike using chest-high walls as a method of blocking progress. I think what was shown in Alpha-1 was perfectly acceptable, and I would be okay with having just that degree of verticality (plus the climbing stuff they had in the first UE5 showcase) because at least the world layout doesn't restrict you, the person on the ground walking, by things that shake you out of your immersion.

That said, the existing verticality is not particularly interesting, it's just removing potential immersion breaks. I am satisfied with what can be assumed to be the current state, and I don't really need them to add more, but it's still very far from something like Monster Hunter. Hopefully we get a clearer take from the design team on this as they continue to flesh out combat.
    Grilled cheese always tastes better when you eat it together!
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    I really hope there is a large amount of verticality. I assume since they are making a subterranean world that it will at least be a large factor there but that is only a guess. Also the fact that there will be jumping puzzles adds to the likelihood that verticality with be very present in environmental design.
    I just want to be able to "death from above" like in GW2 hahaha
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    OH! Also, verticality is key in taking down large zerg groups with smaller groups. Especially when there is no AoE cap. So I 1,000,000 times support it.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022
    Caww wrote: »
    Seeing mountains and knowing that many or most are inaccessible cosmetic landscape pieces is a definite turnoff and is cheesy.

Elden ring nailed that for me, I thought it was things you just see it from a distance, I was blown away that every single thing you can go to and explore. It really set the scale for the land.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2022
    Dygz wrote: »

No it doesnt.

It sounds quintessentially RPG. In fact, it sounds like RPG cliche.

That cave under the waterfall that is in every RPG ever? That is vertically at play - unless you cant get to the top of the waterfall and in that case, why are you playing such a shit game?
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    From what I seen, exploration seems to have 3D aspect to it and combat is to early to tell but areas look flat except walls in seiges.

Much love ❤️