Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Trap based class?

Do you think that there should be a trap/utility based class? What would that look like? What archetypes would be needed for it? Would that sort of gameplay be relevant to the type of content we can expect in game? I think that either the scout class or Hunter class would be the most likely to be a utility based class. I imagine that a trap based class could scout ahead in dungeon and lay traps for adds or for kiting, but how would they fit into group combat?

Comments

• Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    I would see this type of class needing the rogue or ranger as their primary class. If I had to pick the archetypes I would say scout or sentinel for ranger primary, and Charlatan or Shadow Guardian for Rogue primary. Tank secondary just seems like the proper choice seeing as tanks will most likely have CC influences and they are in a way a support role.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I wouldn't expect a class based on traps, but I would expect a few classes to have the option of using them.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    L2 had a "trap" class. It was mainly a ranger class, but had quite a few traps in its skillset. It had rooting, dmg, poison, stun and detargeting traps. Definitely an interesting style of gameplay, even though in my experience those traps were very rarely utilized cause their dmg/effects were nothing compared to the general ranger abilities that class had.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems like a Predator might wield Traps.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I hope so. Honestly, what I fear most is a checklist for classes.

Defensive check
    Movement option check
    CC check
    CC remover check
    Some form of self-sustain check

But then again, I'm not a huge fan of health mana regenerating rapidly, unless I invest into these things at the cost of others.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Ranger and Rogue archetypes seem like the obvious choices to use traps - but not sure what form those traps will take.

I’d like Rogues in particular to have more poison & explosive traps to protect their flanks, especially for assassin builds.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png