Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tracking Personal Items

Is there an interface in the game that helps you keep track of where your personal items are currently located? As in EVE, I expect items will end up stored all around the world as characters travel.

Apologies if this is already in the Wiki and I just can't find it.

Comments

• Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited July 2022
    If I understand correctly, you are asking if one will be able to see what's stored in your bank in Node X while you're at the bank in Node Y.

I don't know if this has ever been answered by Steven, but I personally hope you can only check what you have in your bank from the same parent and vassal nodes. So if Node X is the parent and you're in Node Y which is a vassal, or vice-versa, then I hope you're able to see what's there (obviously you won't be able to magically retrieve it).

However, if Node X and Node Y are not related, then I think you shouldn't be able to easily check what's there, maybe except for some perks from level 5 Economic Nodes, or something like that.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that separate node parents will be able to create a formal alliance. I feel like this should be possible, perhaps by a referendum with time limits? If so, it could be an added benefit of this alliance that players can see bank contents between two different node families. Though perhaps node alliances create some gameplay problems I'm not foreseeing at the moment.
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, you are asking if one will be able to see what's stored in your bank in Node X while you're at the bank in Node Y.

Yep! That's exactly what I'm curious about. On the one hand, it would be handy to have an in-game interface. On the other hand, it might be fun if they decide not to help us keep track of things. We'd have to keep notes. That would give AoC a paper and pencil fantasy game feel.

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There was a question sometime back regarding accessing stuff stored in one node from another and they answered no as this would go against the caravan system. But as far as seeing what is stored in a different node I don't think that has come up before. Good question. I vote hopefully not but maybe ask in the next Q&A.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Storage
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I want this. But more than just being able to view my various node and freehold storages remotely, I want something more: Item Search.

In FFXI there is a command:
    /itemsearch "Ebony Log"

This command will list for me all of the storages that a particular item is in. I can't tell you how often, in BDO, I'm wondering where on earth I left my stack of this one random item that I don't use frequently. I can look at remote storages in BDO from the world map, but manually digging through 20-30 different nodes' storages to find where I kept my ASH logs (as opposed to all the other damn logs with similar icons) is a pain. Especially when they don't match my organizational expectations and it's been too long to remember why.

I'm organized, but I'm not that organized. So PLEASE give me the ability to find where I left my things. I can't be keeping a spreadsheet of every minor item in every storage in the game, when I'm trying to clear out my inventory to prepare for a raid, party, or even just farming with my friends. Doing this all manually may be "realistic", but it definitely doesn't make a good game experience. "Sorry guys, give me 5 minutes to update my spreadsheet. I have to clear my inventory."

Or worse yet: "Ugh never mind, I was sure that quest item from last month was in here, but I don't have time to ride to every node I tend to visit, or dig through 12 different storage boxes on the world map. I guess our plans are cancelled." And worse yet still, it won't even be me most days. We all have that one guild member, so please give them (and us) the tools to have a good experience in the game.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why would you have stuff stored in 20-30 nodes?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member

Hoarding Syndrom
  • Options
    KovrmKovrm Member
    edited July 2022
    SongRune wrote: »
    I want this. But more than just being able to view my various node and freehold storages remotely, I want something more: Item Search.

/itemsearch "Ebony Log"

This command will list for me all of the storages that a particular item is in. I can't tell you how often, in BDO, I'm wondering where on earth I left my stack of this one random item that I don't use frequently. I can look at remote storages in BDO from the world map, but manually digging through 20-30 different nodes' storages to find where I kept my ASH logs (as opposed to all the other damn logs with similar icons) is a pain. Especially when they don't match my organizational expectations and it's been too long to remember why.

I'm organized, but I'm not that organized. So PLEASE give me the ability to find where I left my things. I can't be keeping a spreadsheet of every minor item in every storage in the game, when I'm trying to clear out my inventory to prepare for a raid, party, or even just farming with my friends. Doing this all manually may be "realistic", but it definitely doesn't make a good game experience. "Sorry guys, give me 5 minutes to update my spreadsheet. I have to clear my inventory."

Or worse yet: "Ugh never mind, I was sure that quest item from last month was in here, but I don't have time to ride to every node I tend to visit, or dig through 12 different storage boxes on the world map. I guess our plans are cancelled." And worse yet still, it won't even be me most days. We all have that one guild member, so please give them (and us) the tools to have a good experience in the game.

This just seems like full blown laziness. And a sad excuse for needing a system to track where your stuff is.. You mean to tell me that in BDO you would just willy nilly stash shit like a squirrel in various different places, and not have at the very least a text document type up of where you left most of your items??

I'm sorry, sir, but your reasoning alone is proof enough as to why we shouldn't have a system that allows you to find your stuff without visiting each node. Laziness and incompetence at being even loosely organized breeds the same. You wasted your own time. Your inability to organize important things is not a reason to have a "item search". It's not that you are even that organized, because you aren't at all. 🙃
    sJ4g8FI.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Kovrm wrote: »
    SongRune wrote: »

/itemsearch "Ebony Log"

This just seems like full blown laziness. And a sad excuse for needing a system to track where your stuff is.. You mean to tell me that in BDO you would just willy nilly stash shit like a squirrel in various different places, and not have at the very least a text document type up of where you left most of your items??

I'm sorry, sir, but your reasoning alone is proof enough as to why we shouldn't have a system that allows you to find your stuff without visiting each node. Laziness and incompetence at being even loosely organized breeds the same. You wasted your own time. Your inability to organize important things is not a reason to have a "item search". It's not that you are even that organized, because you aren't at all. 🙃

Why on earth should I have to maintain a text document just to keep track of things that the game should allow me to search for?

I'm sorry, sir, but your reasoning alone is proof enough as to why we should have a system that allows you to find your stuff without visiting each node.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Good mmos tend to have hundreds, sometimes thousands of unique items. I'd rather other people have the freedom to spend their time playing getting mats for my node than constantly updating their inventory spreadsheet. Leave spreadsheets to people who enjoy those (like me.) And even then I have far more important spreadsheets to maintain.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Otr wrote: »
    Because if that stuff can be looted, you will probably put it in the nearest warehouse.
    Then because it can be looted, you will have to organize a safe caravan.
    And you will postpone that instead of selling the stuff at lower price.
    Then a siege happens and somebody will take care of sorting them.

Considering that travel on the map will be slow, having an overview of where we have stuff will not be possible without in-game help.

This is the natural reason in Ashes. In BDO the natural reason is that you can have up to 7 characters for free and at least another 2 more of you choose to spend your loyalty system points on it.

Storage is quite limited as well, and has costs, so it is literally more efficient in terms of 'account resources' to spread out and use every bit of storage in every node' and save the account resources for other things.

Ashes will be the same for the different reason mentioned by Otr above.

Nothing to say to Kovrm's 'you're lazy and incompetent' as it's not relevant to the conversation in this case, but I'm pretty interested to know if Intrepid's item/storage design people lean more towards the 'players who don't organize fully are lazy' or the 'We should make it easier for players to track their stuff'.

@Vaknar - tomorrow's Monday so I'm hittin' you up if you happen to know the above.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    If the crafting system is near the depth that Intrepid has discussed, we’re talking about an extensive amount of raw mats and a proportionate number of assembled sub-components. Given the risks associated with gathering more material, having a reliable, simple search tool for making sure I have the mats / components I need would be incredibly helpful (if not ultimately essential).
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Craiken wrote: »
    Is there an interface in the game that helps you keep track of where your personal items are currently located? As in EVE, I expect items will end up stored all around the world as characters travel.

Apologies if this is already in the Wiki and I just can't find it.

I would like this for sure. Good question for the Q&A.