Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Making crafting more realistic

darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
For this I'm going to use weapon smithing as an example. My idea will incorporate 3 types of crafting xp, overall xp, weapon type, and material. To make things simple I'm going to base everything on a scale of 1 to 100

So I'm a brand new weaponsmith. For my very first craft I decided to make an Iron dagger. Being my very first craft I know absolutely nothing. I can expect the quality of my iron dagger to be extremely poor but I'll learn a lot. Item quality 1, all xp gained 100

My second craft I decide to make another iron dagger. While I'm still a complete noob in weapon smithing I at least know a few things I did wrong the first time around and don't make the same mistakes a second time Item quality 2, all xp gained 99.....repeat this same level of quality gain and xp drop all the way until item level reaches 100 and xp reaches 1. At this point I can make the finest quality iron daggers the world has ever seen

I decide to switch things up and craft a bronze hammer. My experience crafting iron daggers means I'm not a complete noob in weapon smithing but honestly how much will crafting iron daggers really help? I have no idea what the differences are between crafting with iron and bronze are. I have no idea how to properly balance the weight of a hammer. Once again my item level I create is 1 while the xp gains for bronze, hammer, and overall weapon smiting are 100. Since I'm not a complete weapon smith noob though I might get a few bonuses based on my overall weapon smith skills though so maybe the item level starts at say 10, weapon type and material xp has a bonus of 10%

At this point I decide to craft an iron longsword. I've never made a longsword but I'm a grand master with iron. I may not know how to properly balance a longsword but I can at least make the finest quality iron there is. Weapon quality 50, longsword xp 100, iron xp 1, overall weapon smith xp 50 plus any bonus based on overall weapon smith level

A system like this would not only be more realistic but it would add to player choice. Do you go all out from the start to specialize in one type? Do you diversify to increase overall xp? If you do choose to diversify at what point do you switch your craft?

Comments

• Options
    I think this would largely be handled via talent trees which you’ll likely earn points for via overall crafting experience/leveling.

This being said, I haven’t seen much regarding that system or how specific those talents are intended to be. I think they could manage this without there being 100 levels of variation (though perhaps you simply used a large number to easily demonstrate your point).

I really like the direction WoW is going with the new aspects of their crafting in Dragonflight. Specifically utilizing crafting level, talent trees, material quality (three tiers), optional reagents to boost item quality, and a stat for inspiration you can get on your crafting gear or via talents that gives you a chance to proc extra quality, all in order to determine the ultimate quality of the item you craft (of which I believe there are 6 tiers).

Not sure how many of those kinds of aspects are already being confirmed or floated about for Ashes crafting, but yes, I agree that the system should be at least as complex as that system. If the WoW team can manage it, this team can definitely pull off something even better.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    Usually done through specializations in crafting talent trees? IE max out knives or swords or hammers and become perfect in crafting those.

Itwould also suck having to use heaps of ultra rare raid drop material to level your crafting before being able to make good weapons with said material
  • Options
    ghostxxghostxx Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This sounds along the lines of "make crafting knowledge based" than realistic. But how granular do we really want it? Controlling forge temperatures? Melding metals? Quenching success rates? Sharpening skills? etc

For me, the more control over the process of crafting that I have, the more I'm going to enjoy it but I also don't want a full on tedious grind-fest of skill checks just to make a slightly better than average craft.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ghostxx wrote: »
    This sounds along the lines of "make crafting knowledge based" than realistic. But how granular do we really want it? Controlling forge temperatures? Melding metals? Quenching success rates? Sharpening skills? etc

For me, the more control over the process of crafting that I have, the more I'm going to enjoy it but I also don't want a full on tedious grind-fest of skill checks just to make a slightly better than average craft.

If everyone is making "slightly better than average" crafts, doesnt that become average? What if a little more effort makes something "slightly slightly better than average" and everyone starts to put that effort in, so now thats average....

Making a system where enough effort is required to be special, so only so many people put forth that effort, keeps average being average. And allows those willing to and wanting to be better than that, to do so.
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I'm not a fan of learn by doing since it's ultimately just a grindfest to make gear good enough. If it were simple RNG quality crafting, I guess that's somewhat realistic that not all iron daggers are the same stats.

But having a person able to craft better versions consistently just means if anyone else pursues that same profession, they will always be inferior and devalue any reason to invest in learning that skill. The market would be terrible since a single person or group could essentially have a monopoly once they're far enough ahead.

The only thing I could imagine working would be like what @ghostxx suggested and having more control over the process itself. It could be a series of mini games or just a more in depth with module crafting method to choose hilt, blade length, curve etc. This would reward crafters that are dedicated but also allow people to learn without a grind.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Whatever direction they go in crafting I just hope for 2 things
    1. I don't want to see everyone being capable of making everything within a profession even at max level. I'd love it if even as a max level armor Smith you might be better off seeking out another armor Smith to make your helmet because they're better at it than you. Maybe you're better at making gloves than they are so you can make a trade.
    2. I don't want to see a system that rewards players for simply making the cheapest craft available to power level you're profession. There needs to be a reason to make less cost efficient items while leveling.
  • Options
    darthaden wrote: »
    Whatever direction they go in crafting I just hope for 2 things
    1. I don't want to see everyone being capable of making everything within a profession even at max level.
    2. I don't want to see a system that rewards players for simply making the cheapest craft available to power level you're profession.

These concerns are alleviated by simply reading the Wiki, @darthaden.

Have you been away from Ashes for awhile?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Artisan_progression

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Artisan_supply_chain