Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Walking NPCs in the nodes & other locations: Have they been confirmed?

ArtharionArtharion Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
One of the things we all appreciate about MMORPGs is how important is to make the world feel alive and in constant motion. This means that it is essential to have different locations well populated so you can find players anywhere in the world. However, I think that this should not only be limited with the players themselves, but also with the NPCs. I think WoW does this very well. When you enter a city such as Stormwind, Iron Forge or Ogrimmar you can see a lot of NPCs there, not only standing in their places, but also walking around and having their own rutines, no matter how simple they are. Even if you log-in at a time when there are few players connected, you'll see that the city feels alive because of its NPCs. Moreover, you can also find NPCs across the world, in different outposts and locations, so everytime you go outside for an adventure you will come across with interesting characters to interact with. Another game that has achieved this is Black Dessert. One of the things I love about Black Dessert was how alive the world feels when you go out the cities and you see NPCs travelling on the roads transporting materials.
On the contrary, a game that hasn't achieved this is New World, where the last time I played I could barely see more than 10 NPCs per outpost, and all of them were standing there without moving, making the outpost look quite dead especially when they were empty of players. I think these are the two faces of the same coin when it comes to a very important concept in an MMORPG.

As far as Ashes of Creation is concerned, has it been confirmed that the nodes will be full of NPCs and that they will not only be standing in their places, but also will be able to move and make their "life" and routines inside their node? Will there only be NPCs in the nodes and cities or also across Verra?

Comments

• ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Some NPC movements and behaviors are dictated by time of day or other rotational cycles, others will be static.

Where we place the NPC rotations that are relevant- those would be kind of rotations that exist perhaps within an hour, not so much within a day so-to-speak. So there might be five minutes of some changing of an organization's acolytes in a temple or something; and that might be because obviously there's a quest related to that rotation. – Steven Sharif

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/NPCs
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Double post, sorry.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • ZahieZahie Member
    I also hope for NPCs that truly feels alive and dynamic.
    I haven't played WoW so i can't comment about that but I i have played BDO and I strongly dissagre that they achieved the feeling of alive NPCs.
    It's true that they are there and some are even walking around but most of them are all stuck in a short loop with very few voicelines and poses. It makes the world feel paused, like you're watching an exhibition with mechanic puppets at a historic museum, stuck in the same moment forever everytime you visit.
  • Zahie wrote: »
    I also hope for NPCs that truly feels alive and dynamic.
    I haven't played WoW so i can't comment about that but I i have played BDO and I strongly dissagre that they achieved the feeling of alive NPCs.
    It's true that they are there and some are even walking around but most of them are all stuck in a short loop with very few voicelines and poses. It makes the world feel paused, like you're watching an exhibition with mechanic puppets at a historic museum, stuck in the same moment forever everytime you visit.

I don't really thing its needed to have super advanced npcs, but it shouldn't feel empty. What matters is seeing the players around and about the area. If you can have a good gameplay loop for a city you will see plenty of people around doing their thing.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes is a Themebox, not a Sandbox, so...
    We should see plenty of NPCs around to help set the story.
  • I personally find the NPCs that have patterns of a patrol or maybe a prayer or some interaction with a world is so much more immersive than having 100 NPCs that stand around and do nothing but stand there. I agree with OP that WoW did this well...in the past. The last 5 or more expansions really have had cities of mostly static NPCs and the ones that do move aren't there for more than making the space feel less empty.

Intrepid, just because an NPC has an important quest or is an important story character does not mean they have to stand still! Please consider this when programming your city NPCs. We don't need DoS2 (Divinity) where the NPCs repeat the same 6 seconds of dialog with one another every 2 minutes in perpetuity. But a Priest will lead his clergy in a prayer, then perhaps check the incense are still burning, then go to the front of the church to ask for donations, or grab a drink from a nearby water pitcher. There are very many little things you can take for inspiration just from what would happen in a living world.

I hope, in this aspect, Intrepid leans far more into the classic single player RPG style of idling NPCs as opposed to the classic MMORPG style of loads of people just standing around doing nothing to hand out a quest for people to find their lost pigs...as opposed to looking for them too?

In the words of one of the best Tauren starting zone NPCs "Will you help me find my dog?"
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you have to speak to a priest on a religious quest, make us wait until she/he finishes leading the service.

Some blacksmiths might not like being interrupted and will grouch (or ask for more) if you do. The vegetable seller is asleep at night, wait until morning to talk to him. The hunter is only in town sometimes, the guards take time off for lunch or to take a leak.

You get my drift, make it realistic. Sure, some players will complain. So what? Are we making the game's target audience spoiled gamers?
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    A little detail that I think could go a long way towards adding that sense of immersion alongside "living" NPCs, is audio.

Watch this example of FFXIV:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANwCsip_NMQ

late-night-seth-seth-meyers.gif
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • I'm happy that after a year, my desire of walking NPCs came true looking at the Village Showcase :).
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited September 2023
    Artharion wrote: »
    I'm happy that after a year, my desire of walking NPCs came true looking at the Village Showcase :).

\o/ Woo!!
    community_management.gif
  • ArtharionArtharion Member
    edited January 20
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Artharion wrote: »
    I'm happy that after a year, my desire of walking NPCs came true looking at the Village Showcase :).

\o/ Woo!!

Really, having NPCs walking around in towns, cities, or even around the world like on paths, shores, forests, mountains, and certain areas, gives the world an atmosphere of a living place full of life aside from the players you can encounter. This is something that games like BDO does also pretty well, and other like New Word doesnt. When I played New World, you only encountered a few NPCs in the outpost, and they were stuck there, in the same place, as if they had glue on their feet. It really gave a dead atmosphere, especially when I were in an outpost empty of players; it felt like a ghost town.

Also, adding crows sounds it increase even more that sense of a living place.

Please keep that idea because it adds a significant degree of immersion to the game :) .
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Asgerr wrote: »
    A little detail that I think could go a long way towards adding that sense of immersion alongside "living" NPCs, is audio.

Watch this example of FFXIV:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANwCsip_NMQ

late-night-seth-seth-meyers.gif

Asheron's Call had that, it did add to the game.
  • Yenn0warYenn0war Member
    edited January 22
    Long time ago, someone suggested that they should program NPCs to act like the ones in Sims. Have their own needs, jobs and habits and I think that was a AMAZING idea. Maybe not for quest givers or trainers, but for everyone else it would be sick.

I would even go step further and add some sort of likability meter when NPCs interact with you with dice roll dialogue mechanics from Baldurs Gate 3 with Persuasion, Intimidate and Bluff skill checks.
  • Yenn0war wrote: »
    Long time ago, someone suggested that they should program NPCs to act like the ones in Sims. Have their own needs, jobs and habits and I think that was a AMAZING idea. Maybe not for quest givers or trainers, but for everyone else it would be sick.

I would even go step further and add some sort of likability meter when NPCs interact with you with dice roll dialogue mechanics from Baldurs Gate 3 with Persuasion, Intimidate and Bluff skill checks.

that's a massive amount of work for almost no return
  • Yenn0war wrote: »

Depends on what the devs have in store for that. It can have an incredible impact if done right.
    I can imagine helping a particular blacksmith NPC, doing a ton of quests for him and maybe even supporting his business by buying lots & lots of materials only by him, which he notices over time.

So after a few months or so, compared to lets call it " 0 affection " to " Maxlevel affection ", he halfs the price of goods only for me to up to 50%. Only raw ressource though. Nothing which has already been refined to some degree.
    I would find something like this pretty cool.

Crafting on your own farmlocation is apparently more effective but I would still find it cool if NPC's can be more time-efficient or effective under certain circumstances.
    And if only in one aspect like buying raw materials.
    d9amg4i-7fcfb1d4-441f-45a2-b337-773848136dbc.gif?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzU1MGQ5MTU3LWIwOTUtNDExNS05NTg1LWViMzQyNzNlOTYwY1wvZDlhbWc0aS03ZmNmYjFkNC00NDFmLTQ1YTItYjMzNy03NzM4NDgxMzZkYmMuZ2lmIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.nBFuGOU6ppKIiyvl8Nx15isNEJgwyORLuD2FOAUbI60
  • The Nodes 2 video showed a lot of NPC life and motion, in the Node-cities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HChA1Kkfk
  • patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited January 23
    Dripyula wrote: »
    Yenn0war wrote: »

Depends on what the devs have in store for that. It can have an incredible impact if done right.
    I can imagine helping a particular blacksmith NPC, doing a ton of quests for him and maybe even supporting his business by buying lots & lots of materials only by him, which he notices over time.

So after a few months or so, compared to lets call it " 0 affection " to " Maxlevel affection ", he halfs the price of goods only for me to up to 50%. Only raw ressource though. Nothing which has already been refined to some degree.
    I would find something like this pretty cool.

Crafting on your own farmlocation is apparently more effective but I would still find it cool if NPC's can be more time-efficient or effective under certain circumstances.
    And if only in one aspect like buying raw materials.

Having a disposition meter towards a player based on how often they sell/buy with that trader is very different from giving them needs, habits, and schedules though. That's not anywhere near as much work