Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Graphics card advice for Alpha 2

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Hey folks, I am looking into upgrading my GPU for Alpha 2, specifically for 4K gaming. 120Hz monitor with Gsync.

I am hoping you guys can give some insight or thoughts based on what we saw in the December update, and in general based on Unreal Engine 5 and MMORPGs in general: Timestamp 1:05:58
https://youtu.be/HB7gWTpeB08?t=3958

MMORPGs tend to be CPU heavy, especially with many players in one area. The tech they are developing is trying to reduce that though, with fewer draw calls (CPU intensive) to the GPU. So I am just trying to find a balanced GPU for my i7 8700K CPU running at 5GHz. I currently have a GTX 1080 Ti, which is a great card, but it definitely struggles with 4K gaming, where it probably would have been fine for 1440p or 1080p gaming. In A1 the 1080 Ti was clearly the bottleneck at 4K in a siege with 200+ players, and the same is true for most other titles.

Right now I have 3080 or 3090 as decent options. Currently a 3080 Ti costs roughly the same as a 3090, so that makes little sense to buy. I would like to see the lows above 60 FPS at least. I honestly can't really tell the difference between 90 or 120 FPS though.

The 4000 series is coming, with the 4070 coming next year some time, which might be fine for Alpha 2 release, as things are looking now. I would need a new power supply for the 4080 or 4090 cards, which I don't want to do, and they might also just be overkill for my 8700K CPU, so that leaves the 4070 as an option.

It's going to be the last upgrade for this system, so I am not looking into future-proofing or anything. It'll run until it can't anymore, and then I'll get a completely new system.

Thoughts? Any similar considerations you guys are having? :)

Comments

• Options
    I will say that the advice I’ve read on graphics cards recently is to keep waiting. Most experts I’ve read info from seem to believe prices will keep going down now that ethereum’s shot.

I’m also looking to build a new PC within the next year though, so whatever advice anyone has to offer on optimal purchasing decisions is of interest to me as well.
  • Options
    I actually don't think prices will fall much further. Historically they haven't really done so. But either way I have no need to upgrade before we get a solid A2 release date. :smile:
  • Options
    Only Intrepid would be able to tell you what's necessary for alpha 2 at 4k.
    In general if you're wanting to play other games at 4k then there's no reason to not go for the best card you can as a 4090 won't be enough for some games..
    At this point though if the 4070 is the best you can do without upgrading other components I'd go with that. Probably gonna be the best bang for your buck if you get it at msrp, and there's no way it won't be out before alpha 2.
  • Options
    Mopy King wrote: »
    In general if you're wanting to play other games at 4k then there's no reason to not go for the best card you can as a 4090 won't be enough for some games.

I would honestly be surprised if a 4090 would still be a bottleneck in Ashes, with a 8700K, but if that actually turns out to be the case I might have to reconsider not upgrading the PSU and go for one of those instead. :D

But then there's the cooling issue as well. I have good airflow, but it might not be enough for 450W TDP on the card alone. :o

• Options
    The 3080 is a safe bet for 4k gaming trying to maintain 60FPS on most games. You can find benchmarks out there, but obviously it's hard to tell how Ashes will compare to those before actually playing the game.

If you're able to find a 2080 Ti for cheaper than a 3080 that's also an option, but I would try to avoid it because it's hotter and hungrier than the 3080.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    ykkykk Member
    4000 series gpus might actually be lower msrp compared to 3000, and actually sell at that #.

Nvidia over-ordered chips and might be stuck with them.
    astra mortemque superare gradatim
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I will say that the advice I’ve read on graphics cards recently is to keep waiting. Most experts I’ve read info from seem to believe prices will keep going down now that ethereum’s shot.

I’m also looking to build a new PC within the next year though, so whatever advice anyone has to offer on optimal purchasing decisions is of interest to me as well.

I agree on the waiting part. Who knows wtf impact relations between China & the US in Taiwan will do to high-end processing hardware...
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I might actually just wait and see if they implement FSR 2.0 as well. Unlike DLSS it'll actually work on my GTX 1080 Ti and may give a decent performance boost. If not I can re-evaluate then.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited July 2022
    go for 3080 or 4080, think that ur cpu is gonna die eventually, then u can buy a new one and use the same gpu