Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Puzzle Type Quest

There was a quest in WoW that gives you the Hive Mind mount and basically the quest was encrypted so players would have to kind of guess where the location of the next step of the quest was and figure out riddles on the way and at the end you would be able to gain 4 keys or 1 of key (if you didn't want to do the other 3 questlines to get the rest) but either way you would need 4 people with a different color key to unlock the last area and do the last puzzle together to unlock the mount.

This was a really cool quest that was put into the game and id like to see replicated in Ashes not for myself but for the puzzle solving, da vinci code Gods in the MMO Scene to solve and flex there massive brains.

I don't think there should be a lot of these but maybe 1 or 2 every 3-6 months cause im sure it takes time to make these and make sure they cant be datamined but its a cool thing that the community comes out and create massive conversations around. If they devs want to have more fun with it they can have parts of the quest have people ask them coded questions that they can give the next hint of the quest too, Ashes Dev team so far have seemed very cool and may enjoy being involved in helping the community unlock Secrets.
Let me know what you guys think I'm sure other games have done this but this is the one i know of.

Comments

• Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    As far as I know there hasn't been any confirmation on specifically puzzle focussed quests.
    However, they did confirm that a large part of the quests would in fact require you to attentively read the quest text and guess/deduce where the objective might -- as they won't have trackers for most of them.

We also know there may be platforming puzzles in certain areas.

So I wouldn't put it past Intrepid to add content which might indeed be a puzzle requiring hours of scrutiny and brainstorming to figure out. Perhaps you may get a quest which can't be completed until a specific area is discovered etc.

Though I personally aren't the greatest at these types of quests, I always love checking out the "story videos" some players make where they retell how they went about solving this epic riddle of a quest, and what the reward was.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    as long as I can google the answer then have as many as you like
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hopefully, @Caww , with nodes, religions, dominant races and etc. being different on each server...most Google answer posts will be inaccurate for other servers. I prefer to have to think and solve problems for myself.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Hopefully, @Caww , with nodes, religions, dominant races and etc. being different on each server...most Google answer posts will be inaccurate for other servers. I prefer to have to think and solve problems for myself.

I'm with you 100% here, but I am concerned that those variables won't be enough to keep fairly comprehensive guides from being formed eventually. People will inevitably figure out what mobs drop what things and how often during each season, I doubt quests will have infinitely different solutions for different players, and bosses will only have so many spawn sites / combat pattern variances. This sort of behavior will eventually occur in any game nowadays. Don't underestimate the determination of guide-makers to produce reliable ad-revenue fuel for lazy "adventurers".
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited July 2022
    Sengarden wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »

I'm with you 100% here, but I am concerned that those variables won't be enough to keep fairly comprehensive guides from being formed eventually. People will inevitably figure out what mobs drop what things and how often during each season, I doubt quests will have infinitely different solutions for different players, and bosses will only have so many spawn sites / combat pattern variances. This sort of behavior will eventually occur in any game nowadays. Don't underestimate the determination of guide-makers to produce reliable ad-revenue fuel for lazy "adventurers".

My hope would be that people would be jealous of said information and keep to themselves and their guilds so as to have some competitive advantage over the others. This would in turn slow down the trickle of information on these matters substantially.

However, realistically it is far more likely that comprehensive guides will be present at some point. However with mobs and loot tables being dependant on Node progression, this will ultimately just fuel more player conflict.

Example:
    I am in need of X ressource, to forge this special weapon, which will make my guild capable of taking on that one raid boss. Let's Google how to get it....... Aha, it seems I need to kill Monstery McMonsterface. Ah shit. Seems that monster only spawns in the zone of influence of a Metropolis level Military Node. Our current closest military node is only at Town level.
    Well I got two choices: either travel with my guild to the only Metropolis level Military node on the server, or begin a series of node wars that will grant me access to my quarry.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    My hope would be that people would be jealous of said information and keep to themselves and their guilds so as to have some competitive advantage over the others. This would in turn slow down the trickle of information on these matters substantially.

However, realistically it is far more likely that comprehensive guides will be present at some point. However with mobs and loot tables being dependant on Node progression, this will ultimately just fuel more player conflict.

That's a very good point! I suppose the concept of players getting access to information online 'diluting' the achievements of others holds primarily for games like WoW, because everything in that game is either instanced or solo-able. So you're relying on being the first ones to accomplish something to feel good.

In this game, when you learn how to do something, and an enemy (often a player or enemy node) stands in your way, it will encourage you to participate in the dynamic nature of the world, and therefore make the game more fun for everyone in different ways. Of course, like you said, some players / groups will guard that content, and have their moment in the sun for a bit longer than players in other games. All of these things changing regularly with the seasons and geographic power dynamic lengthens that time-to-learn and execute as well. Good perspective.
  • Options
    RobtzuRobtzu Member
    If I can solve it then it is too easy. If I can not solve it then its too hard. There is no in between. Its like driving in the snow everyone else is an idiot or maniac.
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    as long as I can google the answer then have as many as you like

Well this quest isnt really for us it would be for that community and 99.9% of quest will be for everyone