Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Community/player Mods?

KDecisionzKDecisionz Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Will there be community/player mods who have elevated report systems that will get to the dev team faster or something to where players being toxic can be disciplined in a timely manner? Obviously the devs/mods will have the final say but they can communicate with that person who they entrusted this power to and understand why if there logs are not showing negativity.

I would like an answer on this because during New World a player named Pembrook was VERY toxic racist/sexist you name it and i still have the logs in my dms to this day but he's irrelevant to life but people like him should be punished for there behavior.

I forgot to add this i would assume some streamers will get this for obvious reasons if it is a thing.

Comments

• PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My vote would be for no player moderators.... and for the devs to support the game themselves, as they seem to plan to with live GM's and such.
  • TorkhamTorkham Member
    edited July 2022
    I hope they learn from new world, guilds would mass report ppl and get them banned, because they wanted less competition when gathering resources and other reason like losing in pvp battles.
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited July 2022
    Why would streamers get it over anyone else? They're often more toxic than the real players.

If there were community/player mods, then it'd have to be on a server they weren't playing on, sort of as a "Spend 2hrs a week moderating X-server, and get some Embers" or something similar. It'd be way too much power to give anyone on a server on which they were already playing.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I hope they don't introduce player mods.

If player conflict is incentivised, the risk of people power tripping is more likely.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Not a fan of player moderators. That slope is just too steep and way too slippery.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • I'm not a fan of players mods either, and am even more not of a fan of things taken OUT OF THE GAME and used to ban people.
  • If someone is being toxic in game the report system she help that be faster with key words being used, screenshots, video, etc.
  • Torkham wrote: »
    I hope they learn from new world, guilds would mass report ppl and get them banned, because they wanted less competition when gathering resources and other reason like losing in pvp battles.

yeah that's an easy fix but easy to overlook also
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Why would streamers get it over anyone else? They're often more toxic than the real players.

If there were community/player mods, then it'd have to be on a server they weren't playing on, sort of as a "Spend 2hrs a week moderating X-server, and get some Embers" or something similar. It'd be way too much power to give anyone on a server on which they were already playing.

Well they don't have the power to ban people out right i thought i made that clear but also even if it was elevated the Devs would have the last say. I don't watch ALOT of streamers but normally they are chill people (the big streamers) who just want to play the game and normally there's a couple bad apples in there communities saying or doing to much refer to asmondgold when he first started playing FF15 and there devs would get rid of those people. I did imply that some of them may get it earlier on for the FF15 reasoning but community moderators is not a bad thing that's how Runescape worked for a while and some of them ended up joining the actual team.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of players mods either, and am even more not of a fan of things taken OUT OF THE GAME and used to ban people.

Well the player i mentioned literally has a laundry list of bad words against all races and sexist remarks against women and i think anyone who had to deal with him how i did which was very little would want the person to be disciplined especially while he/she is saying them over the stream under the game category.
    A majority of the insults was over discord dms or discord coms because with New World joining peoples discord is the norm to coordinate for wars or to learn the strategy and Ashes looks to have the same level of discord hopping within its features. Its a great thing i made 100 of friends and plenty of them that i will be having join my guild in ashes. But if the mods can keep on top of REALLY bad apples i have no issue with non in-game actions that do corollate with the game being left out
  • KDecisionz wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of players mods either, and am even more not of a fan of things taken OUT OF THE GAME and used to ban people.

Well the player i mentioned literally has a laundry list of bad words against all races and sexist remarks against women and i think anyone who had to deal with him how i did which was very little would want the person to be disciplined especially while he/she is saying them over the stream under the game category.
    A majority of the insults was over discord dms or discord coms because with New World joining peoples discord is the norm to coordinate for wars or to learn the strategy and Ashes looks to have the same level of discord hopping within its features. Its a great thing i made 100 of friends and plenty of them that i will be having join my guild in ashes. But if the mods can keep on top of REALLY bad apples i have no issue with non in-game actions that do corollate with the game being left out
    A game like this ALOT of things will be done outside of the game communication wise no one is typing 20 paragraphs to explain strategies.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    So, the proposed system is that some players should have reports they make be prioritised.

My question to this would be - why?

If I you are not such a person, and you see some absolutely toxic behaviour, or some blatant cheating, why should that be pushed down in priority based on me seeing some person that may or may not be betting?

You would want that report to be acted on as quickly as possible, and if I knew of both events, I would also rather yours be looked at with more urgency than mine.

The fact that in this scenario I was made a moderator doesnt alter the fact that what you are reporting is more important to deal with.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022
    KDecisionz wrote: »

No one needs to be banned over out of game stuff no, no one needs to be banned over discord arguments or insults. If you have a issue with someone discord block them or talk to mods and have them deal with it.

The cancel culture can get booted i dont care what people are saying offline or irl.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »

No one needs to be banned over out of game stuff no, no one needs to be banned over discord arguments or insults. If you have a issue with someone discord block them or talk to mods and have them deal with it.

The cancel culture can get booted i don't care what people are saying offline or irl.

what? did you not just contradict yourself?
    If you have a issue with someone discord block them or --->talk to mods and have them deal with it.

This would still be out of game arguments and its not cancel culture. Someone being racist and sexist is those terms not cancel culture??????

If there is politics involved in the game that requires players to speak to each other there's crosspollination there and saying the arguments we create because of tools we made in the game is like starting a fire then letting other people put it out.
  • KDecisionzKDecisionz Member
    edited July 2022
    So the general view on in-game player mods is a negative look ATM I'm happy i got to see peoples complaints about it me personally i don't care whether there is or not since I'm a chill person but I've seen games have in-game player mods not being a NET NEGATIVE but there is very few games that do that.
  • ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    So the general view on in-game player mods is a negative look ATM I'm happy i got to see peoples complaints about it me personally i don't care weather there is or not since I'm a chill person but I've seen games have in-game player mods not being a NET NEGATIVE but there is very few games that do that.

RuneScape has a player moderator system in which their main function seems to be muting advertisment spammers. I wouldn't be against a similar system to help mitigate gold sellers and other chat spammers but I don't believe it's necessary.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • KDecisionz wrote: »

The cancel culture can get booted i don't care what people are saying offline or irl.

If you have a issue with someone discord block them or --->talk to mods and have them deal with it.

This would still be out of game arguments and its not cancel culture. Someone being racist and sexist is those terms not cancel culture??????

If there is politics involved in the game that requires players to speak to each other there's crosspollination there and saying the arguments we create because of tools we made in the game is like starting a fire then letting other people put it out.

No i did not contradict myself if you are getting bullied in a discord then you settle that issue in the discord. Whatever you do in a discord or offline should not get you banned from a game. If you are trying to go to devs and saying he is bullying me in a discord you should ben him from the game that honestly is fucking stupid.

If you have social issues you deal with the issues on the platform you don't use that to try to get people banned from outside that social group. People play games to escape not connect irl to the game. No developer needs to spend time worry about and controlling what people do and how the act off the game.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

No i did not contradict myself if you are getting bullied in a discord then you settle that issue in the discord. Whatever you do in a discord or offline should not get you banned from a game. If you are trying to go to devs and saying he is bullying me in a discord you should ben him from the game that honestly is fucking stupid.

If you have social issues you deal with the issues on the platform you don't use that to try to get people banned from outside that social group. People play games to escape not connect irl to the game. No developer needs to spend time worry about and controlling what people do and how the act off the game.

Generally I would agree with this. But, as a thought experiment, are there no exceptions to this?

If they are careful ingame and only harass a player within the legal means, like kill-stealing all their mobs all the time, and repeatedly try to get them killed, or even just kill them straight up, that's one thing. If they take it outside the game and deliberately harass a player because of ingame stuff, with the open intent to get that player to quit the game, I think Intrepid has the moral and ethical right to terminate the accounts. They obviously always have the legal right to deny service.
  • ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Nerror wrote: »

Generally I would agree with this. But, as a thought experiment, are there no exceptions to this?

If they are careful ingame and only harass a player within the legal means, like kill-stealing all their mobs all the time, and repeatedly try to get them killed, or even just kill them straight up, that's one thing. If they take it outside the game and deliberately harass a player because of ingame stuff, with the open intent to get that player to quit the game, I think Intrepid has the moral and ethical right to terminate the accounts. They obviously always have the legal right to deny service.

There are definitely instances in which companies are almost obligated to deny service to distasteful personalities in order to protect their branding. Especially when said personality might have some amount of influence or public attention.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    In an older thread about this topic I mentioned the following basic idea:

- Mods/GM should all be internal to Intrepid. No players.

- Mods/GM should not have a personal character in the server they're modding.

- Mods/GM should be rotated between servers periodically as to avoid potential favoritisms and collusion.

It's fairly simple logic, but I think it's the best way to organize it. As for priority of escalation, ideally cheating would be top tier priority, followed by racism/sexism and harassment, and everything else lower than that.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Nerror wrote: »

If something is being done in game that is different then something being done off the game. So if they are harassing in game and being toxic in the form of words or certain actions that is different. The whole point of his comment was that you can get banned for doing things out of game

On to the points it is a pvp game people will do that to you if they dont like you and try to claim your spot for themselves and such. If they are doing that and only that for months and hunting you down and never making progress besides to slow you down maybe you will have a argument. Some people will complain if it happens once for multiple times even if a guild is known to control that area and they would take advantage to want people banned.

This is a PvX game you can't expect everyoen to be nice and need to be ready to flag and dec guilds as well.

There are definitely instances in which companies are almost obligated to deny service to distasteful personalities in order to protect their branding. Especially when said personality might have some amount of influence or public attention.

If you are talking about twitter and twitch and such yes that is exactly why i dont want that garbage in AoC. here they use their platform and their own bias to ban people they dont like or against their own agenda. Get social platform influence off of games my point will never change on that cancel culture non sense and manipulation. You are effectively trying to give people a reason to dox people and find out more about them so they can be liek look what this person says irl you should ban him, that is where that leads.