Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Minimap or Compass To be Or NOT to BE

Which is better to you guys and why i personally lean towards the compass after using it in New World and i played WoW for WAY longer than a did New World but id like to hear opinions.

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    hqg92zgw20yz.gif
  • CawwCaww Member
    mini map with compass please
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    After believing they were a must have and yearning for one in New World. Found that not having one, I gained much better knowledge of the map and immediate environment and the screen was far more immersive as less distractions.. so, all for NO mini map
  • Mike McQueenMike McQueen Member, Royalty, Kickstarter
    I'd prefer no minimap as well.
  • akabear wrote: »
    After believing they were a must have and yearning for one in New World. Found that not having one, I gained much better knowledge of the map and immediate environment and the screen was far more immersive as less distractions.. so, all for NO mini map

Having never played a game without a minimap, I am intrigued by this. It sounds like a positive.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would be totally cool with just a compass and no minimap. If I had to choose between the two, the compass is the way to go IMO.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer compass.

Minimap takes up screen real-estate and i end up navigating by staring at it. When it's not present, i find myself looking around the world more which i like.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A customizable ui where both, or either, or neither.... plz.
  • I'd say both. One think I do want is a button toggle on the minimap, at least. If I'm in an area I know well, why would I be looking at a map? I hope I can toggle elements of my UI off and on individually for the simple reason that if I my character wouldn't be thinking about something (my health, my combat abilities, my inventory, my map, etc) at any given time, then I don't want it shoved in my face and cluttering my view of the world. Having the option for a simple compass UI (I imagine the format used in ESO, perhaps even lower-profile) to be displayed with variable opacity at the top of the screen in place of a mini-map would be great.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    I know I'm an outlier in this space, so I'd just ask that if both are implemented that I can turn them off. If I have a map and there's a sun/moon I know what direction I'm going. I'd also like to focus on the environment around me, not on minimap dots / icons / bleeps to show me the way.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What Nerror said!
  • akabear wrote: »

I 100% agree with this i noticed i wasn't staring at the top of my screen and instead at the center
  • edited July 2022
    Why are people against minimaps? It is most likely to be optional. I'm all for it as long as it only shows your nearby surroundings.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Why are people against minimaps? It is most likely to be optional. I'm all for it as long as it only shows your nearby surroundings.

I just see them as a form of spoonfeeding.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Why are people against minimaps? It is most likely to be optional. I'm all for it as long as it only shows your nearby surroundings.

I just want it to be toggle-able to preserve more screen space when I'm in a familiar area. I know some players view mini-maps a bit like using car mirrors or a dash mounted GPS while driving somewhere they've never been before. Could they take their eyes off the road or stop the car every time they need to take a good look around for longer than a split second? Sure. Does that sound like a PITA? Understandably yes.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Ah..but and only but if there was a toggle, perhaps toggleable with a few settings condition switches.

ie mini-map on/off toggle
    auto on (settings choice)
    • town
    • dungeon
    • castle siege
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 2022
    I prefer no minimap personaly, compass is fine with different colour markers for each group member on to help locate party members.
    I would also like the main map easy to open up to glance at and close though.

You could as an option add minimap options to some classes like ranger/scout/falconer since it makes sense for them could even allow them to track enemy location on it via dot i guess too depend what you wanna do here but it does make sense than rangers could get access to a minimap where other classes do not since they would be more incline of enviromental awareness atleast in openworld. Rogues could possibly have the minimap version for dungeons as an option too.
  • Mini map or Compass doesn't really matter for me as long as i can toggle it on/off.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you give people both a mini map and a compass, people will look at their mini map all the time instead of the compass, because it is more convenient. But, we all basically know that the convenience is bad for us, so Intrepid needs to keep it away from us.

Compass is the way to go.
    bRVL6TR.png

• NO MiniMap please. it always drives the Player to just look straight at the MiniMap all the time and not at the World itself
    uwu
  • Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A mini map/compass combo with a toggle option for all the hardcore players who want to hit 'M' every 10 seconds.
  • I think I am happy to join the overall consensus of having a compass to keep your eyes where they need to be!

And at the same time, I think incorporating maps in a different way could be interesting. So I would actually find it really cool if nodes could use sign posts to point you to key locations as they get developed enough with a distance. It could even work like one of those tourist maps with a "you are here" and pointing to the nearby location to give you a bit more direction.
  • MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    As long as the minimap doesn't show players I don't mind.

It would suck if you're planning an ambush and they can just see you on the minimap.
    What about a minimap that only updates line of sight wise, and a compass. And then perhaps some mage augments could link line of sight between party members
  • Not having a minimap will force you to look at the world and landmarks to learn the lay of the land. Creating more immersion. From a UI perspective it's also much cleaner. I guess one can be implemented much later. At the start I would prefer not having a minimap so I get that feeling of discovery. I don't want to know I'm approaching a fork in the road. I'd rather discover it and make a decision in real time.
    Not having a minimap will force you to look at the world and landmarks to learn the lay of the land. Creating more immersion. From a UI perspective it's also much cleaner. I guess one can be implemented much later. At the start I would prefer not having a minimap so I get that feeling of discovery. I don't want to know I'm approaching a fork in the road. I'd rather discover it and make a decision in real time.

I mini map doesnt force anyone to do anything. Its a map. Saying it shouldnt exist because i dont like how i use it, is really a fault of the player.... at most i would want it to be toggle able. As time differ even for a single player... sometimes im not in a hurry, and i want to look around and enjoy the world at leasure. Sometimes ive been stuck at work too long, and want to just accomplish somethings to feel the day wasnt wasted in game.