Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tulnar REVEAL Hype! [Image Included]

SimurghSimurgh Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
zQZJTWM.jpg]

What's up Ashes Fam!?

Do you dig the Tulnar reveal? I am seriously curious what everyone thinks! That was a trip and very unexpected! Stoked to chat about this with you all and via the Ashes Pathfinders podcast Sunday!

I am really stoked by this reveal!
kQcyFmb.jpg
Keep Up-To-Date with Ashes of Creation on AshesHQ - Join the community around Ashes HQ, Ashes Pathfinders, & KOTP on Discord

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    They look so damn goooooooooood!!
  • Options
    SimurghSimurgh Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    NiKr wrote: »
    They look so damn goooooooooood!!

Homie....I am so surprised in a good way. I really wanted this kind of variation!
    kQcyFmb.jpg
    Keep Up-To-Date with Ashes of Creation on AshesHQ - Join the community around Ashes HQ, Ashes Pathfinders, & KOTP on Discord
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I'm going to wait and see how much diversity will be available through the character creator and blending before I become opinionated on the tulnar.

All I can say for now is that they look very brutish, which would compensate for the ren'kai having more delicate features than I expected.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    They look awesome. There's a great deal of variation for a single race - which I'm hoping satisfies a number of folks looking for alternatives to the standard DnD mainstays.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    KovrmKovrm Member
    edited July 2022
    Elder wrote: »
    I'm going to wait and see how much diversity will be available through the character creator and blending before I become opinionated on the tulnar.

All I can say for now is that they look very brutish, which would compensate for the rek'sai having more delicate features than I expected.

Ren'Kai. This ain't LoL, dawg.

The concepts look fuggin wicked. And being able to blend them?! Shit's gonna be fun.
    sJ4g8FI.png
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kovrm wrote: »
    Elder wrote: »

All I can say for now is that they look very brutish, which would compensate for the rek'sai having more delicate features than I expected.

Ren'Kai. This ain't LoL, dawg.

Mb, it's 5am here and I just got back from a party.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    KovrmKovrm Member
    No worries, hombre. Just messin with ya. :)
    sJ4g8FI.png
  • Options
    MY DREAMS OF PLAYING A LEONIN ARE ALIVE!!! I AM SOOO HAPPY!!!
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I seriously am not a fan of the lizard tulnar. they look too much like a stereotypical demon. when they spoke of the reptile subspecies or something i expected these sort of reptiles not the star trek hulky ones
    wixzdt45tugy.png
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah that was a surprise. They are definitely more simian / mammalian / reptilian than I expected! I can't wait to play with the morphing system in the character creator.
  • Options
    brownricebrownrice Member, Alpha One
    Love the idea of Gorilla, lion, or dragon types, but I would like that wolf in there. May be unrealistic to create another toon type, but with the UE 5 who know may be easier for them to incorporate. This reveal makes a choice harder to main what race for sure.
    Cheers
    :#
  • Options
    I love the Dragonborn one, definitely want to roll one as a tank.

Kinda bummed there was two mammals and no insect branch, that's kind of what I expected as the third option.
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    edited July 2022
    Simurgh wrote: »
    zQZJTWM.jpg]

What's up Ashes Fam!?

Do you dig the Tulnar reveal? I am seriously curious what everyone thinks! That was a trip and very unexpected! Stoked to chat about this with you all and via the Ashes Pathfinders podcast Sunday!

I feel okay about this early concept art, but here are few things I want to say.

The gorilla one looks very good to me, it reminds me Rajang in Monster Hunter.

The wolf one is not good as the gorilla one because the horn and ear are not so match to the imagine of wolf specially the ear it’s more like a bat man's ear.

The lizard one is the one I really don't like it, maybe is the angle or maybe because I'm not focus at the face only, it’s too much human characteristics like the skin outside of the face area is more like a silkworm, and it’s too close to the lizard man in Sipderman movie which also more human than lizard/dragon, BUT consider it says “Reptilian Tulnar” in wiki so maybe it should looks like that, in that case I apologize, before the stream I always thought lizard tulnar will looks like Dragonborn in D&D I don't know if I explain my self correctly I hope you understand what I'm talking.

Last, if there is a wolf characteristic tulnar, is there any chance for cat/leopard/lion/tiger tulnar? I want cat characteristic tulnar Steven, PLEASE!
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    personally I was far more interested in the desert biom reveal. At this point concept art doesn't really matter to me. What gets me hyped is the zones and systems being alpha 2 ready.
  • Options
    HalaeHalae Member
    Dizz wrote: »
    The lizard one is the one I really don't like it, maybe is the angle or maybe because I'm not focus at the face only, it’s too much human characteristics like the skin outside of the face area is more like a silkworm, and it’s too close to the lizard man in Sipderman movie which also more human than lizard/dragon, BUT consider it says “Reptilian Tulnar” in wiki so maybe it should looks like that, in that case I apologize, before the stream I always thought lizard tulnar will looks like Dragonborn in D&D I don't know if I explain my self correctly I hope you understand what I'm talking.
    I think a thing to keep in mind is that I'm pretty sure these are what the Tulnar look like when maxed out, not what the beast races these tulnar come from look like. The reason they've got human-like characteristics is probably because they have a bloodline from one of the four main races humanizing their features.
  • Options
    I'm so happy with the concept and it'll be hard even to choose between which customization options I'll want to go with. The character creator for these guys will get nutty I can feel it.
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • Options
    Halae wrote: »
    I think a thing to keep in mind is that I'm pretty sure these are what the Tulnar look like when maxed out, not what the beast races these tulnar come from look like. The reason they've got human-like characteristics is probably because they have a bloodline from one of the four main races humanizing their features.

Pretty sure they said it was the 3 main sub species or something
  • Options
    Personally the Lizard is my favourite of the three! I like them all and don't have any deep criticisms though I will quote what has been said on the main thread, I am very curious how the skinny/scrawny models will look as at the moment these are all chonkers (which look good) but I am curious about the variety!
  • Options
    1ekb8uhr7vk8.png
    Ingame model of left one? :P mind my paint skills
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    Halae wrote: »

Yeah I know that and I'm happy to see these three tulnar in game but what I want to say is that if I can't create my tulnar character leans more beast like looking than these three tulnar I may not play a tulnar and I know nobody cares but I still want to say it to let at least dev team have a chance to hear me and if they don’t like or it’s not what they want tulnar to be like then I'm ok with that, so I always imagine that after the apocalypse the world not so easy to survive or live a life if you are just a human so the leftover major and minor races take refuge into Underrealm and become one race the tulnar to survive in Underrealm and Verra after the apocalypse, be cause of that the more beast or animal like characteristic feel more natural to me, the point is survive in apocalypse and after and very big chance that civilization backwards so badly so the more human characteristic is more unlikely to survive.

Just my imaginations so please anyone wants to reply pleas go easy on me and I believe we all have our own imagined story background for those what dev team not tell us yet so it’s a discussion not a fight or argument and I’m not a native English speaker.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Conrad wrote: »

Yes, you get three branches of evolution for your Tulnar: Simian, Feline/Canine/Bestial and Reptilian.

So you can probably have a Lizard man with a long snout and wolf ears, with a gorilla body, or something like that
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »

Yes, you get three branches of evolution for your Tulnar: Simian, Feline/Canine/Bestial and Reptilian.

So you can probably have a Lizard man with a long snout and wolf ears, with a gorilla body, or something like that

I would prefer if this was default so its guaranteed I can get it. THAT is worry. Right now, the design only allows me to speculate its possible. I want that to be guaranteed. Rn this "Reptilian" honestly looks ass with how he's looking more like some diablo demon or something and km not a fan of it.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I mean... Dragonborn are basically dragons that were molded into a humanoid form by Dragon gods.
    Tulnar are Humans who survived the Apocalypse by mixing their genes with reptiles and non-sapien mammals. So, there should be no surprise that Tulnar heads look more Human than Dragonborn.

"When players get to create their characters and determine whether they are going to have heavy influences of reptilian, mammalian, humanoid; that's going to kind of determine their reception from NPCs as well when they interact with those Tulnar PCs."
    ---Steven
  • Options
    EvyxEvyx Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am extremely excited about this race and the artwork is great. I love the middle variation the most and I am excited to see further customizations. I see so much potential creativity and awesomeness here. VERY excited.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can't wait to see them in the character creator and how much variation we get to have with them.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I seriously am not a fan of the lizard tulnar. they look too much like a stereotypical demon. when they spoke of the reptile subspecies or something i expected these sort of reptiles not the star trek hulky ones
    wixzdt45tugy.png

Some of this is fixed by stance. In the concept art you can see they have somewhat elongated thick necks. But because its in "human posture" its not very lizard like. With a stance that brings the neck more forwards, and lowers the head it may look more like what you want.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's not simply the neck.
    I pretty much think the reptilian Tulnar looks reptilian enough for a species that is a mix of human, reptile and (non-sapien) mammal. But, it's definitely a mix of reptilian and human features... compared to the black and white pic of a reptile head and neck on a humanoid body.

The reptilian Tulnar doesn't really look like a demon to me, but... compared with the black and white...it does kinda look like Angel (from Buffy) in vampire form...just with a wider mouth.
  • Options
    zQZJTWM.jpg]

What's up Ashes Fam!?

Sooo gorilla, wolf, and lizard...there needs to be a Tulnar guild called Rampage (hoping someone gets the reference)
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Ravudha wrote: »
    zQZJTWM.jpg]

What's up Ashes Fam!?

Sooo gorilla, wolf, and lizard...there needs to be a Tulnar guild called Rampage (hoping someone gets the reference)

The Rock's movie?
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited July 2022
    Asgerr wrote: »

The Rock's movie?

yeah...I was thinking of the video game it's based on..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage_(1986_video_game)