Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
I don't know which discussions are the best place to share some of these ideas and thoughts I am having, so I am going to start one of off-topic ideas. Maybe others will share ideas here, too. Have a great day everyone!1. I hope there will be a way to set "outfits" that I can set and change into, but still requires items in your inventory.
1a. Continuing onto 1, I do not like transmog as a game feature and I hope it will not be implemented for a couple reasons. First, I understand the desire to battle in any gear or outfit you create, but that is a bit immersion breaking as it doesn't make sense that lower level gear or casual clothes could work the same as high level gear. Also, it can give an illusion that a player is less of a threat for pvp given what they are visibly wearing to you instead of what the gear actually is. Lastly, it takes away the significance of having, and creating, unique pieces of armor if they can be overridden to look like something else.
A personal reason I do not transmog is because I enjoy the aspect of collecting and having to manage items and inventories.
2. I would prefer no cosmetic store once the game is released and rather it have been a way to invest in the game during it's creation and those items be exclusive "rewards" for doing so. Regardless... if there has to be paid for cosmetics in game after release, I hope that there will be nothing that can be bought that isn't in game. For a simple example, there is a straw hat in game but you can buy one with a fancy ribbon or flowers as a cosmetic item. Though this is the reason I don't like cosmetics, (it makes the in game items seem dull in comparison) at least I will still be able to have a straw hat that fits my farmer rp without having to pay for the part of the game I enjoy most, that being rp.
3. I hope that the human race gets a little more work or replaced with a race that doesn't just look like plain humans. I don't like humans as a race in fantasy for many reasons. Humans are harder to stylize in a way that removes the uncanny valley feeling and they are boring.
4. I am curious if this game is being created to play on basic pcs or if it's being created for specialized gaming pcs. Will there be ways to adjust the graphics so that average pc owners can play the game?
5. I have heard there will not be an official rp server and I am wondering more about this plan. I understand wanting rp to be a natural part of the game, but that usually isn't the case in mmos with hardcore players. Is there concern about unofficial rp servers being created and why not just create one for rpers if so? Also, how would you tackle players who want to be on rp servers because they think it will be "easier" for them to be "the best"?
6. I'd like to know more about the plan for rp profiles, rp families, and more rp features in general.
7. It would be cool to select a character background archetype that influences initial gameplay with npcs. Will there be any rp profile features like this that would affect gameplay or will it all be limited to pretend?
You might want to check this page: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Appearance_slots
Regarding point 2.
The store will be there. They'll never consider removing it. And there absolutely will be things that aren't in the game. Otherwise there would be no need to have a cosmetic store. Now, what you might get is reskins of existing gear. So if one in-game set is black, then maybe they sell you a golden skin for it.
Regarding point 3.
Suck it up dude. Humans are a thing. Morphing humans into something else will just not make them humans. Personally I love playing as humans in a lot of games. I prefer the fantasy of the simple humans facing the monstrosities of the world or the races of magical, superhuman beings. And I'm sure a ton of other people feel the same.
Regarding point 4.
In the latest livestream they mentioned they are trying to optimize graphics so that the game runs properly on old graphic cards. However you will of course get the most out of the beauty of UE5 assets and lighting with more potent PCs. That is ultimately up to every player to decide.
Regarding point 5.
I personally am also in favor of official RP servers. But yeah Intrepid wants the RP to be more akin to what EVE Online has. Where rivalries and stories emerge naturally from conflict etc. I guess it's also a way to avoid ERP like WoW has in some of their RP servers (where they even make prostitution a thing).
Regarding point 6.
So far we know that you can have families which will share a last name and possibly get special bonuses amongst them as well as a potential family summon. They plan to add a lot of emotes for RP, such leaning against a wall or dancing, petting mounts, hugging etc
For more details:
Regarding point 7.
There is currently no plan to select a backstory akin to something like in Guild Wars, no. The basic RP for everyone is that the races of Verra escaped to Sanctum through gates opened by the Gods when the Calamity befell the world. And now, after thousand of years, we are back to resettle Verra.
Every race will have a specific starting area in Verra, but you can choose in which to start. So you can RP it like you were an elf living amongst dwarves and are starting through their Gate.
The Tulnar have their own starting area underground in Verra, as that is where they have taken refuge during the Calamity.
I understand that there will be items that aren’t in the game, I just hope there aren’t types of items that aren’t in the game and can only be bought and that it goes a more “skin” route.
I am okay with human races. I was just offering an alternative opinion that they can be boring. Also, I just think theirs needs a lot of work to be on the standard of their fantasy ones and not look kinda creepy.
I missed this, that’s great to hear!
Yea unfortunately the erp would follow any rp server official or not and it might be better managed in one place. I worry that that making it unofficial will be harder for normal rp players to find a community or like minded players.
Thanks so much for all the info and links. I appreciate the thoughtful response! 😁