Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Graphical Descriptions of Violence, Gore and Horrors within the Lore/Stories of AoC

Obviously we don't know much about the Lore/Story of AoC. However, what we do know is, that during the time of the exodus, as well as shortly after/before, the Predecessors were suffering calamities, atrocities and hardships.

We will uncover the stories and history while playing the game.

Obviously, as AoC is aiming at a T for Teen rating, what they can show in terms of cut scenes and visuals is rather limited. In terms of written texts, these restrictions don't apply as strictly, so Intrepid has plenty of leeway there.

How graphic (violence, gore...) would you like these (written) stories to be? Do you want them to sugarcoat it to correspond with the graphical nature of the game or would you prefer them to be open and descriptive regarding the Horrors the citizens of Verra had to endure?

Comments

• PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Warth wrote: »
    Obviously we don't know much about the Lore/Story of AoC. However, what we do know is, that during the time of the exodus, as well as shortly after/before, the Predecessors were suffering calamities, atrocities and hardships.

Obviously, as AoC is aiming at a T for Teen rating, what they can show in terms of cut scenes and visuals is rather limited. In terms of written texts, these restrictions don't apply as strictly, so Intrepid has plenty of leeway there.

How graphic (violence, gore...) would you like these (written) stories to be? Do you want them to sugarcoat it to correspond with the graphical nature of the game or would you prefer them to be open and descriptive regarding the Horrors the citizens of Verra had to endure?

Each should fit the settings and context.

If im watching a scene that is showing violence and the text is way worse than what being shown, it doesnt feel right. If im reading a book explaining what went down in detail with no missleading graphics, it can be as gorey as needed.
  • Warth wrote: »

Leave it up to the imagination. Darkness should be just that, dark, obfuscated from view.

5lntw0unofqp.gif

The nastier and gorier the better. I don't need to know what colour the child's teddy-bear was and how fluffy it felt while she ran to the portal with it. I do need to know how many arms and limbs she saw torn off on the way through the blood-soaked killing-grounds towards the portal. Excite, shock, thrill. Don't bore.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »

The nastier and gorier the better. I don't need to know what colour the child's teddy-bear was and how fluffy it felt while she ran to the portal with it. I do need to know how many arms and limbs she saw torn off on the way through the blood-soaked killing-grounds towards the portal. Excite, shock, thrill. Don't bore.

The teddybear lost 3 limps, but what he lost in limps, he instead gained in fluffyness
  • It just feels out of place for a post apocalyptic society to have a sugarcoated history
    The teddybear lost 3 limps, but what he lost in limps, he instead gained in fluffyness

the-big-bang-theory-big-bang-theory.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • CawwCaww Member
    a game with this potential doesn't need to be gruesome to attract players so I'm doubting there will be more gore than required to get the idea across of a bad death
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Given that we turn to ashes when we die, my expectation is that Ashes will not be as gorey as KOA: Reckoning stealth kills.

I'm also not expecting to have to steamroll over Goblins (backing over them a few times as they scream so I can be sure they're squished) or watch as throw themselves off a cliff to end the pain of being immolated from the Fireball cannon I'm operating. As in WoW.
  • GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The T rating is just a missed opportunity in my opinion, but I'm someone who enjoys things on the gorey side in general. The corruption twists and turns things into disgusting mutations of their former selves, but we mostly get red crystals to signify corruption so far. I want to see someone fail to escape a corruption storm and see the horror they have undergone. Because that's what I'm being told in the lore what corruption does. I want to be immersed in that visually, not just be told about it.
    bRVL6TR.png