Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Serious question for the developers

There is a lot of hype for AoC. As with any game with lots of hype there will be lots of players trying to "blow" past everyone else gaining huge advantages. This means RMT, this means lots of bots.
What are you doing to prepare to combat hordes of bots so that the in game economy is not permanently damaged from flooded materials? Inflation on gear? etc...

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I have played L2 which had gold selling. Some ppl got banned. Some people got scared. Some people got away with it. Best mmo ever. Every other mmo since doesnt come even close. They are all boring, npc vendor gameplay, full of ez daily quests and instanced content, quick dash to lv cap and then mindless repetitions for small incremental power boosts.

I dont care if gold selling is a problem in AoC. I dont expect it to be a big deal due to the commitment to ongoing banning of rules breaking. I dont care for a guarantee of solution.
    In addition, the world will be vast. How often will you lose to a cheater who got gear with $?
    Who cares.
  • Options
    Otr wrote: »
    They should implement ingame bots to hunt bots. Bot hunters.

Battlebots. Can we create a ringed arena and open up some betting booths?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I have played L2 which had gold selling. Some ppl got banned. Some people got scared. Some people got away with it. Best mmo ever. Every other mmo since doesnt come even close. They are all boring, npc vendor gameplay, full of ez daily quests and instanced content, quick dash to lv cap and then mindless repetitions for small incremental power boosts.

I dont care if gold selling is a problem in AoC. I dont expect it to be a big deal due to the commitment to ongoing banning of rules breaking. I dont care for a guarantee of solution.
    In addition, the world will be vast. How often will you lose to a cheater who got gear with $?
    Who cares.

How are you going to feel when all those logs you been collecting for the past hour, instead of selling for 25 gold each are now 1 gold each because bots flooded the market with logs?
    And that nice shiny chest piece you were planning on buying for 700 gold... yeah that's now 6000 gold cuz it's highly sought after and players who RMT have the gold to pay it and you don't.

It's not about getting killed in PvP... it's about having a healthy economy.
  • Options
    Did you read what I said? It's happen before. It's not a big deal. Ffs let this thread die. You are not the first to report this.
    Make room for other conversations. Dont take it personaly. It's just that it wont be game breaking. Take it from players with previous experience.
  • Options
    Did you read what I said? It's happen before. It's not a big deal. Ffs let this thread die. You are not the first to report this.
    Make room for other conversations. Dont take it personaly. It's just that it wont be game breaking. Take it from players with previous experience.

It's more about that they are marketing the game as not having PWT, which is a lie to consumers. The devs may not put in a PWT cash shop in the game, but RMT affects every game through buying accounts or currency usually.

Banning RMT in the EULA or TOS is nice, but enforcing it is untenable and no one has a reasonable solution that I know of.

• Options
    Ah so it's a lie?
    Yeah Im done here. Everything is p2w in this life, didnt you know?
  • Options
    Did you read what I said?
    Yep... You said:
    ... Who cares.

Seeing as how you don't care maybe this isn't the thread for you. And judging by yer defensive nature:
    You sure sound like you have a previous personal experience with RMT...

• Options
    You are so smart.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Taaku listen to my advice. Go play competitive games against other players. Win, get satisfied. Have fun and then seek new challenges. Stay entertained and meet likeminded people and enjoy their company.

Dont argue in forums. It's just an annoyance or a misguided excuse for people to socialize. As for this game take a back seat and return later and give it a try.
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    RMT is going to be an issue in any game you play but it won't be nearly as bad as any other free to play game.
    Taaku wrote: »
    How are you going to feel when all those logs you been collecting for the past hour, instead of selling for 25 gold each are now 1 gold each because bots flooded the market with logs?
    And that nice shiny chest piece you were planning on buying for 700 gold... yeah that's now 6000 gold cuz it's highly sought after and players who RMT have the gold to pay it and you don't.

It's not about getting killed in PvP... it's about having a healthy economy.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Auction_house

There is no central auction house so even if is an overflow of bot farms it would probably be limited to only one region of nodes.

Not only that, but you'd have to be pretty dedicated to drop like $1500 on just subscription costs alone for just 100 accounts.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Subscription_model
  • Options
    Subscription costs did not deter gold sellers in other games like WoW. Their business model can handle that.

@MaiWaifu: From the link you posted: Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.
  • Options
    MaiWaifu wrote: »
    RMT is going to be an issue in any game you play but it won't be nearly as bad as any other free to play game.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Auction_house

There is no central auction house so even if is an overflow of bot farms it would probably be limited to only one region of nodes.

Not only that, but you'd have to be pretty dedicated to drop like $1500 on just subscription costs alone for just 100 accounts.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Subscription_model
    Ahh I see, I didn't know about not having a central marketplace. That could help, as then bots would have to buy cheap and move goods and sell high. until everything was cheap. Which leaves them open to getting raided. Still worried about it though. This kind of thing happens in Eve online constantly.

Also in terms of subscription costs... WoW still has major bot problems. Archage has always had major bot problems when it was subscription as well. These RMT sites make ridiculous amounts of money. The subscription cost to just run their bots is nothing to them.

Thank you for the information but i am still worried.
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Subscription costs did not deter gold sellers in other games like WoW. Their business model can handle that.

@MaiWaifu: From the link you posted: Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.

I can't comment on how bad WoW RMT is but isn't the game f2p until level 20?

This metropolis auction house only applies to other economic nodes from my understanding. This is what I meant by one region of nodes since I assume the majority to be relatively close to each other. Trading neighbour to neighbour.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    There is a lot of hype for AoC. As with any game with lots of hype there will be lots of players trying to "blow" past everyone else gaining huge advantages. This means RMT, this means lots of bots.
    What are you doing to prepare to combat hordes of bots so that the in game economy is not permanently damaged from flooded materials? Inflation on gear? etc...

Thanks for the heads up! Intrepid has now been made aware of the issues of RMT and botting and will now start to work hard and implement systems to help detect and ban RMT and bots! Thank you very much.

All jokes aside, Steven has stated many times how Ashes will be severe regarding cheaters. One of Intrepid's biggest challenges will be to detect and ban bots and cheaters in general. The next challenge is to detect RMT and ban all parties involved, regardless if botting was involved or not. This is not easy and it is not cheap but it can, and hopefully will, be done. Bug abusing (like duping), however, is usually a lot harder to detect, hopefully Intrepid is able to put mechanisms in place to make them harder to exist/be found.
    Banning RMT in the EULA or TOS is nice, but enforcing it is untenable and no one has a reasonable solution that I know of.

So basically what you're saying is: "I don't know how to enforce the ToS, therefore there's no reasonable way someone is able to do it". Fortunately, I bring good news: computer science has plenty of solutions that you are not aware of.
    It's more about that they are marketing the game as not having PWT, which is a lie to consumers. The devs may not put in a PWT cash shop in the game, but RMT affects every game through buying accounts or currency usually.

I hate to be a white knight to an online game that hasn't even released, but damn that's some next level garbage you just typed, laughable to say the least.

P2W has nothing to do with botting or RMT, please refrain from spreading this gibberish, you're embarrassing yourself. Keep repeating this nonsense to yourself and before you notice you will start saying that a subscription is P2W because you need real money to play the game.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up! Intrepid has now been made aware of the issues of RMT and botting and will now start to work hard and implement systems to help detect and ban RMT and bots! Thank you very much.

All jokes aside, Steven has stated many times how Ashes will be severe regarding cheaters. One of Intrepid's biggest challenges will be to detect and ban bots and cheaters in general. The next challenge is to detect RMT and ban all parties involved, regardless if botting was involved or not. This is not easy and it is not cheap but it can, and hopefully will, be done. Bug abusing (like duping), however, is usually a lot harder to detect, hopefully Intrepid is able to put mechanisms in place to make them harder to exist/be found.

Thanks for the info! I mean i'm sure they know about it and are working on it. But they constantly ask for feedback. The more people give feedback, no matter if it's been said before or not, means they have more metrics on what is most important to the playerbase. I also would like to hear more specifics, cuz if it's just more of the "usual anti botting" steps most other companies take then we already know it won't work. Like I guess I would just like to know that they are putting more effort into better methods or such. Would help me not worry so much at least.
  • Options
    I also would like to hear more specifics, cuz if it's just more of the "usual anti botting" steps most other companies take then we already know it won't work. Like I guess I would just like to know that they are putting more effort into better methods or such. Would help me not worry so much at least.

Not sure if you’ve seen the wiki entry on the subject yet (here’s a link: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Currency#Security_systems )

As you can imagine, there is only so much information Intrepid is going to publicly disclose about their exact security and anti-botting protocols without divulging methods and practices that could be mined by black hats and used against the game.

If you’re seriously concerned about this subject, I’d suggest bringing the question up in one of the monthly QAs.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm just gonna say it. No-one cares.

We've had this discussion on this forum like a million times
    And before that we had the old forum where we've had this discussion like a million times

And during those times we had an offshoot game called Apocalypse that had its own section of forum in those forums where we've had this discussion about a million times.

And before that we also had the kickstarter pages where this was also discussed about a million times.

And there's a reddit and a Facebook and an instagram page where this has been brought up about a million times.

No one gives a flying frick.

8e4q8drumfy3.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    At least they are asking questions and having a discussion.... the other thread, acting like RMT's is pay to win is a joke
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I also would like to hear more specifics, cuz if it's just more of the "usual anti botting" steps most other companies take then we already know it won't work. Like I guess I would just like to know that they are putting more effort into better methods or such. Would help me not worry so much at least.

Not sure if you’ve seen the wiki entry on the subject yet (here’s a link: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Currency#Security_systems )

As you can imagine, there is only so much information Intrepid is going to publicly disclose about their exact security and anti-botting protocols without divulging methods and practices that could be mined by black hats and used against the game.

If you’re seriously concerned about this subject, I’d suggest bringing the question up in one of the monthly QAs.

Thank you for this link, this helps!
  • Options
    How many threads do we need of hypothetical RMT???
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    How many threads do we need of hypothetical RMT???

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F4fc099564b40fcc774f2f1ff4fe61d20%2Ftenor.gif%3Fitemid%3D15134613&f=1&nofb=1
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/