Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What kind of Augment schools you want to see from secondary class choice?

What we know is mage as secondary will probably provide fire/ice/wind/teleportation augment schools, cleric will provide death/?/?/life augment schools. What other class augment schools you want to see or predict seing and how they might improve primary class skills?

Comments

• Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    It's a bit confusing as to if the mages elemental augments will come from one school of augmentation or multiple separate schools. The wiki says this:

Each secondary archetype offers four different schools of augmentation.

For example: A Mage offers Teleportation and elemental schools of augments.

The Mage archetype offers four elemental schools as augments to a character's primary skills.

If we were to assume each elemental school was its own school of augmentation, we'd have a total of 5 schools of augmentation, including teleportation. One more than we should.

For this reason, it's my understanding that all the elemental schools of augments will come from one school of augmentation, and we have two schools of augmentation that are yet to be confirmed.

Teleportation/Elemental/***/***

If anyone has any other information on this, I would appreciate if they would share it.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Augments
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Elements
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    32 class augments.

9 race augments.

6 primary religions and a tulnar religion. The wiki says "strong religions provide a uniqe augment" so who knows how many religious augments there really are.

And social organization augments, again who knows how many there could be.

And i think we have teleportation nailed down.

The quote "The Mage archetype offers four elemental schools as augments to a character's primary skills." If telepotation is a form of elemental magic then "elemental" is not its own augment. If teleportation is not a form of elemental magic, then perhaps an augment such as primal elements or something like that, gives you access to 4 elemental types.

However, not all games/media follows the avatars, 4 elements.

Fire, water, earth, air, space, light, dark, blah blah blah. We dont know what all "the elements" are in ashes.

I guess using the wikis terminology, replace space with planar...

That being said. If space is an elemental magic, and teleportation is just an effect from the space elemental augment, then mage probably has fire, ice, and lightning. As its other augments.

This also lines up for cleric to have a light natured augment. And rouge to have a dark natured augment. Wrapping up "all elements" into a single augment would be extreamly limiting to other classes in the terms of creating more augments.

Unless they take the unique packs of elements route. Where:

mage has the primal elements augment granting it access to 4 elements.

Cleric could have holy elements augment, granting light and dark and maybe fire and earth.

And so on. This way the classes could have some overlaping effects they could grant while each augment itself is still unique.

But my bet is on the mage having Planar, fire, ice, lightning. And the teleportation effect comes from the planar augment. And im assuming steven calling it the teleportation augment in his example way back when was just to keep things simple. As his example was probably the most simple, and self explanitory as it could be.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    TLDR teleportation is probably an elemental magic augment. So mage is probably *planar*, fire, ice, lightning
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Pretty sure the two Mage Schools we know are: Elemental and Teleportation.

Also, it's 32 Archetype augment Schools.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Pretty sure the two Mage Schools we know are: Elemental and Teleportation.

Also, it's 32 Archetype augment Schools.

Whats an augment school, over an augment itself?
  • Options
    Elder wrote: »
    It's my understanding that all the elemental schools of augments will come from one school of augmentation, and we have two schools of augmentation that are yet to be confirmed.

That's correct.

• Options
    ig8lxk9o0pgv.jpg
    yrvycmaq3gdd.jpg

Both of these comes from the wiki. One saying your secondary archetype gives you 4 augments. One saying it gives you 4 augment schools. What is the difference in terminology?
  • Options
    It's always better to go the sources (and check the dates) rather than just rely on the paraphrases in the wiki.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm starting to get the feeling that the mage should become more of an elementalist. Teleportation has been there from the beginning and i'm not sure if it still fits. I'm starting wonder if teleportation skills and augment effects should be converted to elemental effects.
  • Options
    It's always better to go the sources (and check the dates) rather than just rely on the paraphrases in the wiki.

Tell me the difference nerd.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I'm getting there. Hold your horses, Fool.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Augments#Class_augments
    Each secondary archetype offers four different schools of augmentation.[20][23] Each augment school affects a primary archetype's skills in different ways.[24]
    For example: A Mage offers Teleportation and elemental schools of augments. These augments will affect a Fighter's primary skills differently than a Cleric's.[20][24]

FEB 09, 2018 [23]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8eehrdIIXI&t=2516s
    mark 42:07

"The augment tree is determined by your Secondary Class choice.
    Each Secondary Class choice will have a base minimum of 4, at this time (we'll be testing this, but...),
    they have 4 augment choices."

---Steven

DEC 17, 2019 [24]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNRD57wHtAE&t=4394s
    mark 1:13:32

"The Mage augment is the same grouping, but the way it affects the Active Skill... you only receive Active Skills from your Primary Archetype... and then it gets augmented by your Secondary choice.
    The Augment School... it wil yield a different effect because the base Active Skill is different, but... the parent augment (School) is the same, like Teleportation...Elemental...you take the Mage groupings of augments...
    You have Teleportation, you have the Elements... those two things get applied to different Active Skills based on your base subclass."
    ---Steven

JUL 19, 2020 [20]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AeuqaELjFg&t=3904s
    mark 1:05:58

"If you were to choose Mage as your Secondary Archetype to crete your class, you would have access to Mage augments. So, there's going to be 4 Schools of augmentation for each Archetype. One of the Schools for the Mage is the Teleport School. You can take that Teleport augment and apply it to your Charge skill and now, instead of Charging x distance over time, you're going to immediately Teleport to the target, dealing x damage and condition modifier.
    If you were to apply the Elemental School to your [Active Skill], you would Charge x distance, upon reaching target, you would ste the target ablaze, if it's Fire, you would electrocute them and deal damage over time (if it's Lightning) in addition to said condition modifier."

---Steven
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Lol, alright then.

Well, while he is off finding the difference....

I though the change in terminology simply came from augments being something you had to invest skillpoints to unlock and level up. You dont just get them. So saying you get an augment, sounds like you can just use it, where saying you get access to an augment school allows you to invest points into using it....

But you seem to be implying that geting the elemental augment school, allows you to investil into and use any elemental augment, which doesnt sound right to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I'm getting there. Hold your horses, Fool.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Augments#Class_augments
    For example: A Mage offers Teleportation and elemental schools of augments. These augments will affect a Fighter's primary skills differently than a Cleric's.[20][24]

JULY 19, 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AeuqaELjFg&t=3904s
    mark 1:05:58

"If you were to choose Mage as your Secondary Archetype to crete your class, you would have access to Mage augments. So, there's going to be 4 Schools of augmentation for each Archetype. One of the Schools for the Mage is the Teleport School. You can take that Teleport augment and apply it to your Charge skill and now, instead of Charging x distance over time, you're going to immediately Teleport to the target, dealing x damage and condition modifier.
    If you were to apply the Elemental School to your [Active Skill], you would Charge x distance, upon reaching target, you would ste the target ablaze, if it's Fire, you would electrocute them and deal damage over time (if it's Lightning) in addition to said condition modifier."

---Steven

I mean yeah. That is the always gone to example when someone brings up augments...

But again... the differences in examples is great. The teleport school has... teleport. Where the elemental school have various types of damage to choose from?

This seems like a talk about concepts, not an example of existing schools.... imo.

Also this still doesnt explain the difference between an augment and a school of augmentation. The terminology is still vauge.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The Teleport School has several Teleport augments - they don't have names for all the Teleport augments yet. One of them will likely be Blink.
    The Elemental School is easier to give multiple examples, like Fire, Ice, Lightning, etc.

Um.
    An augment is the specific augment that gets applied to the Active Skill.
    Augment School is the grouping of specific augments.

The Elemental School is the category that includes Fire, Ice and Lightning augments.
  • Options
    The Teleport School has several Teleport augments - they don't have names for all the Teleport augments yet. One of them will likely be Blink.
    The Elemental School is easier to give multiple examples, like Fire, Ice, Lightning, etc.

Um.

The Elemental School is the category that includes Fire, Ice and Lightning augments.

So you are saying a secondary archetype gives access to 4 schools of augments, meaning your secondary isnt giving you 4 augments but 4 groups of several augments?
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022

Um.

So you are saying a secondary archetype gives access to 4 schools of augments, meaning your secondary isnt giving you 4 augments but 4 groups of several augments?

That's how I understand what Steven is saying at least. Tons we don't know obviously. Some skills can be limited to only one or two augment choices within a certain school perhaps, which blurs the line a little.
  • Options
    That's correct.

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's a bit confusing as to if the mages elemental augments will come from one school of augmentation or multiple separate schools. The wiki says this:

The Mage archetype offers four elemental schools as augments to a character's primary skills.

If we were to assume each elemental school was its own school of augmentation, we'd have a total of 5 schools of augmentation, including teleportation. One more than we should.

For this reason, it's my understanding that all the elemental schools of augments will come from one school of augmentation, and we have two schools of augmentation that are yet to be confirmed.

If anyone has any other information on this, I would appreciate if they would share it.

All I can say is that if the Mage augments are all:

"Different Elemental Option Augment"

Then I have no hope for this game in the end, and I too, would appreciate clarification since @Vaknar actually gave this as an answer for a Q&A recently and quoted the same thing from the wiki.

I'm certainly not here to campaign that Intrepid change something from their vision to what I'd like better, but I would definitely like to know if to stop caring.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I would love to provide you all with more details and information. However, these things are not finalized so anything I could say to you would be subject to change.

With that said, we hope to have updates for you on classes and augments very soon. It's something our teams are working diligently on ^_^

Like OP suggested, I would love to see you all come up with additional ideas for augments for secondary classes! What can you imagine, I wonder? 🤔💭
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    I imagine an augment that allows vaknar to tell me what is going on with the augment system as a whole.......
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I would love to provide you all with more details and information. However, these things are not finalized so anything I could say to you would be subject to change.

With that said, we hope to have updates for you on classes and augments very soon. It's something our teams are working diligently on ^_^

Like OP suggested, I would love to see you all come up with additional ideas for augments for secondary classes! What can you imagine, I wonder? 🤔💭
    • Fighter as school could have "chase" which would make primary class movement skills into 2-3 charges with sperate cooldowns instead of 1 charge with a cooldown, giving that stick to your face feel. Another cool idea would be some kind of "charges" school where abilities could stack in effect if used against same target (lets say if your ability gives enemy 2s stun, next time its used on same target it would make it 3 seconds) which would give that advantage in long fights 1v1 and probably would make you want to chase/fight same target.
    • Ranger as school could have "traps" that augments abilities to drop some kind of bear traps at character location when skill was used.
    • Rogue should have "stealth" so every class that picks rogue as secondary could enter into temporary/permanent stealth
    • Mage i think will be easyest for you guys to figure out (there is a reason why it was used as example)
    • Bard "buff" and "debuff" schools that after using augmented ability it will shake all negative effects or gives specific buff for short period of time (buffs could be even stacking for some cool low cooldown ability builds)
    • Tank - simple schools based on tank types: "evasion/cc/reduction" you have in plans
    • Summoner schools choice should make abilities allowed that pet do different things, lets say if warrior charge skill is augmented with summoners "guardian (defensive summon inspired school)" school at the end it would give defensive stats, if augmented with "destroyer" school after charge your small summoned friend should attack nearest/targeted target.
    • Cleric - besides "life/death" schools hard to come up with ideas.
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »

Then I have no hope for this game in the end, and I too, would appreciate clarification since @Vaknar actually gave this as an answer for a Q&A recently and quoted the same thing from the wiki.

I'm certainly not here to campaign that Intrepid change something from their vision to what I'd like better, but I would definitely like to know if to stop caring.

I wouldnt go so far to say "different elemental option augments" is a let down... depending on how they effect the skills ot could still be a very high variety of changes. Especially knowing there are like 10-20 augments available outside of your secondary class. But clearification, and at the very least more and better examples would be nice.
  • Options
    I think a summoner augment school could just be like "one for all" and "all for one"

So a fighter could take the summoner secondary and have augments that both

All for one- summon additional sources for their attacks, like floating blades.

And one for all- summon "traits of their minions" like phantasmic horns or additional arms, showing they are buffed by a summoned aspect
  • Options
    From a ranger / rogue perspective, I'd want to see the standard bleeding, poison, fire augments. Maybe some blended magical augments that include psionics, energies, & illusion.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Its interesting because rouge is who i perceive being sneaky, and ranger is who i see catching them.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »

I wouldnt go so far to say "different elemental option augments" is a let down... depending on how they effect the skills ot could still be a very high variety of changes. Especially knowing there are like 10-20 augments available outside of your secondary class. But clearification, and at the very least more and better examples would be nice.

To each their own.

To me, it'd be a letdown compared to what I expect and experience in games, but it'd definitely be more than enough for some others, and I would hope for it to be done in whatever way those people would most prefer.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    We hope to have updates for you on classes and augments very soon, right after Nodes 3. ^_^
    There. I fixed it for you.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    CROW3 wrote: »
    From a ranger / rogue perspective, I'd want to see the standard bleeding, poison, fire augments. Maybe some blended magical augments that include psionics, energies, & illusion.
    Typically both Rangers and Rogues have Stealth. Rangers should excel at Stealth in the wild, while Rogues should excel at Stealth in urban settings.
    RPGs rarely make that distinction, though.

I'm expecting Ranger to have a Nature augment School (with Nature being a damage type). Could be that Stealth falls under there. I would also expect to see Snare augments in one of the Ranger Schools.

I'm also expecting to see Rogues have a Shadow augment School (with Shadow being a damage type). Could be that Stealth falls under there. Trap augments should be in one of the Rogue Schools (I'm kinda hoping for one to be in the Shadow School).
    Bleeds and Poisons are likely Rogue augment Schools. I think (Smoke) Bombs instead of Fire?

I'm thinking Bards will have Illusions - which allows us to have Charlatan and Trickster, but... could be Rogue, as well.