Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Sugestion] Locking costumes

ShinasoShinaso Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited August 5 in General Discussion
Regarding the concern many people have about using costumes since day 1
I know Steven said that using cosmetics day 1 is not an issue for him as we are people who are just returning but...

I saw a discussion on discord the other day and may have space here on the forums.
Would you like to be able to use cosmetics only once you reached certain level ? (Some people suggested max level, once you do on one character the feature will be unlocked account wide)

I personally like this just because the sense on vissual progression on a fresh start MMORPG.

What do you think?

Comments

  • Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited August 5
    Players should definitely be empowered with the option to forgo costumes/cosmetics if they choose visual progression on their character, @Shinaso.

    Players should not force that choice on other players though.

    If I want to wear costumes at level 1, that is my choice ... which also happens to be Steven's position.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For future notice, i perfer the {squiggly} brackets. For your next title....
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Imo seeing dudes with lavish clothes together with dudes in rags spawning at the starting portal would be a much more immersive event (lore-wise) than just everyone wearing the same exact piece of potato sack.

    That being said, I'd definitely love if Intrepid stopped selling pre-order cosmetics right around beta 1-2. Mainly because betas will be a short-time thing so the hype for the game will most likely be at its peak. And people will start buying into the game, and if the cosmetics are still attached to the beta access, then a toooon of people will be able to buy full costumes before release.

    Right now, no matter how big the community seems, we're probably in the <5% of the overall release playerbase. And out of all of us there's probably only a fraction of people who have some kind of costume. And if we account for all the potential servers across the entire world, the chances to see too many costumed players on the day of the release are probably fairly low rn.

    But when the hype gets even bigger and if people are still able to buy into the game with packages that have costumes - the probability of seeing costumes on release definitely goes way up, at which point there might be a bit too many of those rich fuckers around.

    Now Intrepid might've already accounted for that in their package pricings/contents. If the packages don't change, then by the time beta1 rolls around, people would only be able to get a small skin (which you need a gear piece to stick on) and a pet skin (you gotta get a pet first), so the majority of people won't even be able to get the costumes which would keep the overall amount of them fairly low on release. Which, to me, would be completely fine and immersive.
  • CawwCaww Member
    For existing purchases - no - but if they feel the need to do such a thing then update the cos play shop and include level requirements in the description.
  • TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    No this would be a bad idea and I very much think cosmetics should be useable, especially costumes/outfits right from the outset, it would not give many people a sense of any progression at all, because we already have those cosmetics unlocked anyway, I think for many players it would actually make them want to rush through the leveling process just to see and use the cosmetics they've purchased. I don't want to spend my entire leveling experience where I'm out there doing the absolute most in the game without the availability of the things I unlocked for supporting the games development.

    I also agree with @NiKr on the point of it being a more immersive experience for everyone to be spawning into this world from different cultures and walks of life. Why would everyone be in the same rags coming from their other world?
  • ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If I want to wear costumes at level 1, that is my choice ... which also happens to be Steven's position.

    Agreed. If I bought a costume and want to use it day one, then I should be able to.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tatiana wrote: »
    No this would be a bad idea and I very much think cosmetics should be useable, especially costumes/outfits right from the outset, it would not give many people a sense of any progression at all, because we already have those cosmetics unlocked anyway, I think for many players it would actually make them want to rush through the leveling process just to see and use the cosmetics they've purchased. I don't want to spend my entire leveling experience where I'm out there doing the absolute most in the game without the availability of the things I unlocked for supporting the games development.

    I also agree with @NiKr on the point of it being a more immersive experience for everyone to be spawning into this world from different cultures and walks of life. Why would everyone be in the same rags coming from their other world?

    Similar feeling. If anything, I will be happy to see MORE different cosmetics.

    "One of the last descendants of the StormGuard, wearing their great-grandparent's refitted armor, to return to Verra."?

    I'll take it.

    I usually expect that people who care about the cosmetics intend to Roleplay a bit with them, and that people who bought one just to get into Alpha or similar will still buy another suitable one later and probably use that.

    I just hope Intrepid starts moving the 'design type' toward more common 'people on Verra' as they go. There's some older ones I wish could come back purely because they 'feel more like something lots of people should be able to wear', but I guess/hope those ones will get "earned" versions.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.
    
  • Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    TL;DR:
    Let people progress through the game how they want. Cosmetics do not do anything or give the player a advantage the only advantage it would possible give is hiding their gear which if you look down below at the (Threat assessment quote) you will see Steven already has solution to fix it.


    NiKr wrote: »
    Imo seeing dudes with lavish clothes together with dudes in rags spawning at the starting portal would be a much more immersive event (lore-wise) than just everyone wearing the same exact piece of potato sack.

    100% ^ Every MMO I've played its all the same it gets really washed out after awhile, but coming into a game and seeing different look at launch then the normal "potato sack" for me will have a better outcome in memory of the event, because how different it was.


    Cosmetic can be seen by some as a expression to say you have to climb a mountain to wear a item that you technically already own is ridiculous. Also as far as my concern goes you have to unlock the specific gear pieces (aka Shoulders, belt ,gloves etc...) just to get the full view of the cosmetic anyways.

    How you want to play the game is your choice that choice shouldn't be implemented onto others.

    This kind of remind when World of Warcraft introduced transmog's Some people hated it because they wanted to see the potential threat or prey equipment to get a advantage of what they might have to deal with and at that stand point 100% agree, but Steven already solved this


    (Threat assessment quote)

    Threat assessment
    Players will have a buff on their nameplate that indicates the gear set they are wearing. Other players will be

    able to see this buff by targeting that player at a distance.[6][7][8]

    This will indicate the type of armor (cloth, leather, plate) that they are predominantly wearing.[13][7]

    You can target a player. You're going to see what type of armor they have based on a buff they have available to them because obviously cosmetics can change appearance. You might have different silhouettes as a result of that.[13] – Steven Sharif

    The border will indicate the level and quality of the tier set.[6][7][14]

    This also indicates if the gear is enchanted, along with visual effects associated with enchanted items.[7][15][14]

    The developers believe that inspecting gear to obtain an exact equipment list or gear score may lead to "unwelcome behavior".[16]

    When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you know you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint you know what they're going up against if they're actively checking that and that will be available.[8] – Steven Sharif


    So making someone jump through hoops to get a look that doesn't do anything just a look that they already own is just silly if you want to progress through the game with no cosmetic more power to you, but let people progress their own way not a way that someone else tells them to.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Also as far as my concern goes you have to unlock the specific gear pieces (aka Shoulders, belt ,gloves etc...) just to get the full view of the cosmetic anyways.
    That's only for cosmetic pieces. Full costumes can be equipped from lvl1.
  • I do not fully agree because that would end up creating a drama for the simple reason that there would be people who invested money in it.
    Whenever something is linked to money it is a bit complicated to balance it.

    EDym4eg.png
  • Night Wing - that quote about the icon / buff telling you about the approaching player in order to do a threat assessment is something I remember Steven saying somewhere but I couldnt remember where. This is such an important design decision and answers so many different questions that are posed by the community, but I think a lot of people haven't heard it.

    What video was it he said that?
    When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you know you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint you know what they're going up against if they're actively checking that and that will be available.[8] – Steven Sharif


  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nope. I paid for a costume based on a quote saying I would be able to use it on Day 1 - I want to use them on day 1, sorry.
    oficial-baner2.png
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Ah - I see in the wiki references there are links to videos. This is the one I remember:

  • NiKrNiKr Member
    edited August 6
    shoulda refreshed the page before posting :D move along, disregard this post
  • Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 6
    NiKr wrote: »
    Also as far as my concern goes you have to unlock the specific gear pieces (aka Shoulders, belt ,gloves etc...) just to get the full view of the cosmetic anyways.
    That's only for cosmetic pieces. Full costumes can be equipped from lvl1.

    Good call did not know that interesting going have to do some research :)
    KapStoan wrote: »
    Night Wing - that quote about the icon / buff telling you about the approaching player in order to do a threat assessment is something I remember Steven saying somewhere but I couldnt remember where. This is such an important design decision and answers so many different questions that are posed by the community, but I think a lot of people haven't heard it.

    What video was it he said that?
    When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you know you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint you know what they're going up against if they're actively checking that and that will be available.[8] – Steven Sharif


    All information is found in theses links (as well as videos)
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Threat_assessment
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nameplate

    Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:28:10).
    When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you know you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint you know what they're going up against if they're actively checking that and that will be available.[3] – Steven Sharif


    Livestream, 25 July 2020 (53:08).
    The border will indicate the level and quality of the tier set.[1][2][5]




    Hope this helps :)
Sign In or Register to comment.