Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

NPC Armies and Territory expansion/creep

Having read the Relics page recently with a little history lesson on King Atrax, is it possible, with some of the systems that are in game and the characters mentioned, to see King Atrax's territory expand via undead army? Is that possible in an MMO, or are there constraints? Single player RPGs(Shadow of Mordor) or RTS games(Total War: Warhammer series) do this, however, unless I'm unaware of a particular MMO, they always require Players for this to happen. When players aren't around, nothing happens. Can something like this happen in Ashes? Unreal 5 Engine increases the map area without "zones", yes?

To elaborate, Undead Lich (King Atrax) resides in a particular area of Verra. If he's been in a slumber, he's awakened, and decides to go on an expansionary conquest of undeath. His army grows in size and physically traverses the landscape, altering its appearance, and progressing their own nodal points, eventually an incursion on our own lands takes place and players are required to defend their own lands or they will be consumed.

I would have AI measures in place, such as this, to offset any significant imbalances that allows for one side to own absolutely everything. Essentially, the game fights back.

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited August 2022
    Dungeons/locations can change with the changes of the node that controls them. So in theory, Intrepid could do a world event triggered by a node lvl up where this King appears (or resurrects or whatever, I dunno the lore) and sieges the node or just causes havoc around the node by growing his influence on the region.

Though I don't think if anything of this exact kind of event has been talked about before.

Here's more info on the world events if you're interested. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Events

P.S. I suggest diving into the wiki as a whole and trying to find answers for your questions. It's not that you can't just ask here, but I feel like this would show you a broader and fuller picture of the game, rather than just getting the info piece by piece.
  • Options
    The concept of Nodes, Caravans, PvP corruption, the economy, zones of influence that cause triggered events, and monster coins is all something that I recall reading about years ago when this game was first introduced. AOC has carried on the flag of a particular game that I had hoped would be created and one that Steven was a part of. I believe he is aware of the technical issues that prevented NPC armies from moving across the landscape, and since I am not a graphics engine authority, I am not sure if Unreal 5 allows for this to now occur. If they can make it happen, I think it would be a huge help, for many reasons.

The monster coin system, in contrast, is player dependent and seemingly task oriented with limitations.

In PVP games, players tend to ruin the server themselves, if allowed. They turn their own server into a useless PVE server, by exterminating all opposing players. My teams getting owned, I wanna win, jumping ship to the winning side. Until there's nobody left to fight.

You can amp up the triggered events in a local area, to make NPCs more likely to attack the nodes of hegemonic guilds, but it seems like it will just end up feeling like a surprise, rather than some looming darkness in the distance that's closing in ever so slowly(or quickly)day after day, and forces you to actually respond, militarily, should you wish to prevent the destruction of your own node. This A.I. army that can traverse the landscape, as opposed to being some localized nodal triggered event (although the nodal event could start it off somewhere else in the world), would essentially force a decision of the hegemonic forces that be, to either defend their node(s), or obliterate all player opposition.

If you're a guild leader and you own 7 out of 9 nodes, as an example. The 2 remaining nodes are in possession by defiant players who are vastly outnumbered and can't possibly defend against the uber guild. At that point, it's a matter of time until we enter into an age of "peace", on PVP server.

Here is where I can see monster coins coming in handy, but really... you're taking away a player from doing their own thing, and yeah they may like being a monster here and there, but what if theyre raiding and the monster coin event comes about? Go help give that uber guild a hard time with my monster coin(which cant destroy nodes)? Or help progress my own character and guild?

I see this as a potential problem, and I think an A.I controlled "team", would be helpful in creating some form of balance at times.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    We'd have to see how nodes and guilds work out in practice in Ashes. The world is supposed to be huge and house upwards of 10k active players, so unless some guild has several thousand members (I'm sure there's at least a few of those out there) - I'm not sure if there could be "peace" on any given server. But even if there is such a guild, EVE history has shown that even such guilds can crumble under their own weight.

I would definitely like a world-sprawling mob event that lasts weeks of real time, but I'd personally prefer to see that as a huge expansion event in the future rather than a scope creep feature for release.
  • Options
    I can see a gaming organization have a few thousand members, but they'd by necessity have to be fairly split up - From what I recall of the discussion around guild caps, you're looking at a maximum of low triple digits (I think the absolute maximum was said to be 300?) and that's when you've invested absolutely every one of your guild perks into extra members.

To add to this, there's 103 node locations in the game , which if you divide the planned 10k players between them means you'll have an average of 97 per node, with it likely being overrepresented in larger nodes (so probably as much as two-hundred people in a single node).

By a pure numbers game, a gaming organization of several thousand players could potentially take over a region, but I legitimately don't think they could take over more than a significant region of the world, and even then their internal divisions are going to encourage them to cause problems for each other due to resource needs; can't build up every node, and everyone wants to be in a big, powerful, and safe node.

With all this in mind, I do think things that shake up the stability of a power bloc are going to be important to have available for the devs, but this is a pretty unusual scenario that isn't going to be applicable to a vast majority of servers, and if said gaming organizations ensure Peace breaks out all over, they're crippling their own gameplay experience.
  • Options
    Halae wrote: »
    I can see a gaming organization have a few thousand members, but they'd by necessity have to be fairly split up - From what I recall of the discussion around guild caps, you're looking at a maximum of low triple digits (I think the absolute maximum was said to be 300?) and that's when you've invested absolutely every one of your guild perks into extra members.

To add to this, there's 103 node locations in the game , which if you divide the planned 10k players between them means you'll have an average of 97 per node, with it likely being overrepresented in larger nodes (so probably as much as two-hundred people in a single node).

By a pure numbers game, a gaming organization of several thousand players could potentially take over a region, but I legitimately don't think they could take over more than a significant region of the world, and even then their internal divisions are going to encourage them to cause problems for each other due to resource needs; can't build up every node, and everyone wants to be in a big, powerful, and safe node.

With all this in mind, I do think things that shake up the stability of a power bloc are going to be important to have available for the devs, but this is a pretty unusual scenario that isn't going to be applicable to a vast majority of servers, and if said gaming organizations ensure Peace breaks out all over, they're crippling their own gameplay experience.

I think it's going to be a never ending battle against P2W players trying to cap out nodes and take over the world. I mean unless the gold farmers and bots are getting constantly killed on that particular server.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    I think it's going to be a never ending battle against P2W players trying to cap out nodes and take over the world. I mean unless the gold farmers and bots are getting constantly killed on that particular server.
    Real Money Trading (which is not P2W, as P2W is specifically coming from the developers themselves to give you a boon, not third parties) has been acknowledged by the devs, many many times over the course of development, to be a problem they're going to come down like the fist of god on. The economy of both gold and resources is THE most important part of Ashes' structure, and external disruptions to that aspect would undermine the game at its core, so I can absolutely believe that they'll crack down on RMT things as hard as humanly possible.

I find your position utterly uncompelling in the face of that. But now I've got to ask; what the hell does your position on RMT and P2W have to do with AI legions disrupting things for other players? My own post was about how this kind of balancing feature is probably unnecessary due to the way that stuff works for gaming organizations that could theoretically take over the world; nothing about wallet warriors, bots, RMT, or any of that. Was this just an attempt to twist a topic completely unrelated to it over to your pet issue?
  • Options
    If bots become that much of a issue there is incentive for them to have people banning them as every bot will be paying 15$ for another account.

Gold farm accounts I don't see as being as big a issue as long as they scale gold gain towards the higher levels. So if it takes like 100 hours to get max level or such, more than likely they are at least putting 50 hours in before making decent gold, but not really enough for massive selling. And if they are to get banned to get back tot he same point again would take a insane amount of work making it less and less viable to be doing it.

Granted there will be some actual players that try to do it but it will be more irregular, same with account selling.
  • Options
    Halae wrote: »

I vaguely recall the player caps, now that you mention it. That, alongside the size of the world and nodal count, definitely hampers such things from becoming an issue.

If they can make AI happen, I think it would be rather fun to have an AI "team", so to speak, to add some flavor to the fantasy.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If we don't squash the predicate Events... it's possible.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    If we don't squash the predicate Events... it's possible.

Dygz, did you read the entire post, because the reply I made lacked context.
  • Options
    I read the entirety of the original post.
  • Options
    I read the entirety of the original post.

Ah ok. That is great if they can... I cannot find anything. Did they say this can happen in a video somewhere?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The Events system is somewhat similar to a feature that was being developed at Daybreak Games for EQNext. The Ashes dev team has quite a few former Daybreak Games devs on board.
    The Ashes version may not be as robust as the EQNext version hoped to be...although since EQNext was being developed 10 years ago, it might be easier to implement now.

The limiting factor is that players are very likely to squash Events before they become Major Global Events.

For example.
    When we first arrive in the game, the 5 Castles of Verra are occupied by The Ancients.
    Players have to win the Castle Sieges and oust the Ancients before player Guilds move into the Castle.
    Castle Sieges are once per month.
    It's likely that all 5 Castles will be occupied by Guilds fairly quickly, so...
    We won't see what could happen if we let one of the 5 Castles remain occupied by the Ancients.

If we don't squash predicate Events, those could grow into Monster Coin/Horde attacks.
    Those are only supposed to destroy buildings rather than completely destroying a Node, but...

It would be fascinating to have a server where all the players worked together to allow one Castle to be taken over again by the Ancients and allow one Metro to be overrun by Monsters. Maybe Siege the Metro asap after that and see what the mobs do.

https://youtu.be/qYuL-GrMmRM?t=1986
    mark 33:06
  • Options
    I dont think the squashing of events would be designed to deny content. If I was one of the Devs and I wanted an event to have a specific outcome, its basically part of the storyline at that point, so they just make it impossible to stop. If the Ancients are holding the castles, I think thats just a place you go to see if you can defeat the "boss" and take the castle. I doubt they do anything else but stay there.

Of event examples given, I have not seen any mention of NPC armies that can start at one side of the continent and physically move across the landscape to the opposite side of the continent. That would be a local event trigger, with NPCs that expand their territory, becoming a regional problem. Would be cheese if they just randomly surprise poof in every local zone, as an army that came out of nowhere, instead of starting far away and slowly becoming a larger problem as time goes on, encroaching on player nested territory.

Would be more interesting this way.
  • Options
    DarkTides wrote: »
    Having read the Relics page recently with a little history lesson on King Atrax, is it possible, with some of the systems that are in game and the characters mentioned, to see King Atrax's territory expand via undead army? Is that possible in an MMO, or are there constraints? Single player RPGs(Shadow of Mordor) or RTS games(Total War: Warhammer series) do this, however, unless I'm unaware of a particular MMO, they always require Players for this to happen. When players aren't around, nothing happens. Can something like this happen in Ashes? Unreal 5 Engine increases the map area without "zones", yes?

To elaborate, Undead Lich (King Atrax) resides in a particular area of Verra. If he's been in a slumber, he's awakened, and decides to go on an expansionary conquest of undeath. His army grows in size and physically traverses the landscape, altering its appearance, and progressing their own nodal points, eventually an incursion on our own lands takes place and players are required to defend their own lands or they will be consumed.

I would have AI measures in place, such as this, to offset any significant imbalances that allows for one side to own absolutely everything. Essentially, the game fights back.

This would be amazing to see in a game, AI kingdoms that are trying themselves to build up and provide other enemies besides players. Implementing it might be difficult.
  • Options
    I dont think the squashing of events would be designed to deny content. If I was one of the Devs and I wanted an event to have a specific outcome, its basically part of the storyline at that point, so they just make it impossible to stop. If the Ancients are holding the castles, I think thats just a place you go to see if you can defeat the "boss" and take the castle. I doubt they do anything else but stay there.

Of event examples given, I have not seen any mention of NPC armies that can start at one side of the continent and physically move across the landscape to the opposite side of the continent. That would be a local event trigger, with NPCs that expand their territory, becoming a regional problem. Would be cheese if they just randomly surprise poof in every local zone, as an army that came out of nowhere, instead of starting far away and slowly becoming a larger problem as time goes on, encroaching on player nested territory.

Would be more interesting this way.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "deny content".
    In Ashes, Events don't really have a "specific outcome". What the outcome is depends on how the players respond to the predicate events. So different servers will have different storylines.

We'll have to see how often the Ancients try to regain control of Verra.

I think we currently have two official Ashes examples of specific events: The Winter Dragon and the Goblins.
    "Far away" is relative. Ashes Events beging with smaller predicate events... which can build up to Major Global Events if the smaller events are not properly squashed.
    So, yes, we should expect to see a local even trigger, with NPCs that try to expand their territory and become a regional problem...but... they cannot occupy the urban areas of Towns, Cities and Metros.
    It's theoretically possible that NPCs could re-occupy a Castle - although it's unlikely. And they could probably only hold a Castle for a month before players ally to kick the NPCs out.

The EQNext example is that Dark Elves from Serpentspine Mountains are farming Dryads in Kithicor Forest, stealing their Life magic and transmuting it into Shadow magic to power their spells and augment gear and abilities, like Stealth.
    Players who rely on Shadow magic will go into Kithicor to farm NPC dryads, but the players in Kithicor will want to prevent that because as Life is drained from the region, blight spreads across the land.
    Unbeknownst to the players, if too much Life energy is drained, eventually the bonds which hold the Shadow Demons at bay will break and they will march across the world devouring anything living...even the Dark Elves should the Shadow Demons encounter them.
    At that point, it's in the best interest of all the player races, including the Dark Elves, to ally and attempt to imprison the Shadow Demons again.

We have enough Daybreak Games devs on the Ashes dev team to expect Ashes Events to be designed in a similar fashion.
  • Options
    I agree with @NiKr Mega guilds have been shown to collapse into themselves with the likelihood of collapse increasing with size, plus quality of life actually goes down with less competition because of the way ashes is designed. A NPC faction could be a fun expansion in the future but for launch they should finish what they have promised before adding more content.
  • Options
    My only beef with NPC factions is, that they have and will never be a challenge to face.
    Making them constant opposition to the players will either become a drag or boring through the lack of challenge.

I'd much rather have impactful, meaningful events than a constant faction. Like the opening of a corrupted portal that will spread corruption across the entire continent if not dealt with properly. With meaningful, I mean even having the possibility of destroying Nodes if the players fail critically to address the problem.

The negative impacts of such events should be bad enough, that everyone affected does his darnest to stop it and everybody being happy with their rival's suffering works towards maintaining it.

For a spreading corruption like the one mentioned above i'd like to see a lot of things like:
    1. no node exp contributed in corrupted areas. (eventually leading to node atrophy and its destruction)
    2. stronger regular monsters in the area
    3. less loot from gathering and killing in this area
    4. stronger death penalties (exp and stat-loss)
    5. ...

All Nodes could trigger an event like this with similarly bad effects upon reaching Metro Stage. Whether its eternal winter, plagues, corrupted portals, cultists and sects, an ancient creature devastating the land, the volcano becoming active...
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    My only beef with NPC factions is, that they have and will never be a challenge to face.
    Making them constant opposition to the players will either become a drag or boring through the lack of challenge.

I'd much rather have impactful, meaningful events than a constant faction. Like the opening of a corrupted portal that will spread corruption across the entire continent if not dealt with properly. With meaningful, I mean even having the possibility of destroying Nodes if the players fail critically to address the problem.

Cant agree more. NPCs in MMOs are not a challenge, minimal programming. A.I. usually provides weak competition, and this seems to be addressed by beefing up their stats to compensate, as opposed to beefing up their capability to function.

I would want to see this as being a triggered event somewhere on the map, like a slumbering Lich awakens, we dont know where, its influence over areas is apparent based on what we see happening, so we have a general idea of where he may be... Lich needs to die to stop it, but as time goes on, it spreads, getting stronger, encroaching on our own lands. Players push back, eventually find and kill the Lich for loots, and that ends that event. Definitely not a permanent faction.

Could always ask Elon to have openAI take control of this NPC temp faction to make up for what most AI lacks.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "deny content".
    In Ashes, Events don't really have a "specific outcome". What the outcome is depends on how the players respond to the predicate events. So different servers will have different storylines.................

............We have enough Daybreak Games devs on the Ashes dev team to expect Ashes Events to be designed in a similar fashion.

Denying content. Some of their events hinder resource acquisition/trade and nodal progression. Crop yield affected if you dont stop the winter(kill the winter dragon)....Prevents the player from doing something or getting something until it's overcome. Cant XP here and further progress the node until the dragon is dead... or the trade caravans are being destroyed until that raiding party is annihilated. Overcoming the event will allow you to return to normal. If you leave those events untouched, you do not return to normal. No special 'beneficial' story arises from allowing the triggered events to persist. Its seems as though we are encouraged to stop them. By denying content, I imply, if you leave it alone, you arent missing anything aside from being denied the ability to return to normal. You more than likely lose something if you let those kinds of events persist. There is no content missed from leaving the event as is. So leaving the Ancients alone in the castle doesnt lead to more and better loot. Kill them asap. Might be cool to watch things go awry and be disaster struck, but thats it, theres nothing that encourages that otherwise from what I can see.

My understanding of how Servers stories differ appears to stem from the players decision to progress node 2 to max instead of node 1 or 3, and the type of node you choose, scientific node, will trigger a different event than a military node. Havent heard if a dwarf node triggers different events than Elf nodes.

When theorizing potential, I can't expect them to do that based on whats out there so far. It would be really cool but no solid evidence of this kind of capability. It seems like the right triggers are there, but are any designed this way? It seems like when corruption spreads, it spreads to a region, but the effects are local, like monster attacks are more frequent in those areas.. but they spawn out of nowhere and remain local, despite a region being affected... a timer is ticking... if you dont defeat a certain local areas corruption, when that timer is finished counting the next local area gets affected, and then things randomly spawn there... nothing actually physically moves around.

What kind of event do you think an npc army, that starts on one side of the map and can traverse the landscape, falls under? Local, Regional, or Global?
  • Options
    I have no idea what you mean by “if you leave it alone, you arent missing anything aside from being denied the ability to return to normal.”

Who says that players can’t ally with Ancients and earn something by helping them stay in control of a Castle??
    It’s probably more likely that a Guild will get better stuff from owning a Castle.

Who says that players can’t gain anything by allying with the Goblins?
    An Ice Wizard might gain quite a lot from allying with a Winter Dragon - especially since their abilities will be stronger during winter.

And it all progresses the story one way or another, for good or for ill, so…I don’t understand what content is missing.
    It’s just different content.

What is your suggestion supposed to encourage? King Atrax and his horde marches across the world and what?
    We’re going to try to stop that the same as we try to stop any other threat.
    Or let it play out so we can see what happens.

Many of the differences on a server will be based on which Node types are progressed and destroyed, which races have Cities and Metros and which buildings are constructed and destroyed.
    Many of the differences on a server will depend on which Events we defeat and how far those Events played out. As well as which Bosses we’ve defeated.
    Different Events will be triggered based on which Social Orgs we’ve advanced and which Religions we’ve advanced.

As far as I know, Corruption does not spread.
    Where is the info on Corruption spreading to a Region??
    I know nothing about Corruption timers. Where is that info??

NPC horde Event would start local and potentially escalate to Major Global Event.
    Depending on how the players react to the smaller, predicate events.
  • Options
    I think this would make a really cool global event if managed properly.
  • Options
    We keep opening more doors before closing the others, Dygz.

I wanted to know if they had made any mention of NPC armies and their ability to traverse the landscape...gave an example using King Atrax, to help identify what I meant and hoped would be possible....curious if they overcame the technical issues EQNext apparently had with NPCs traveling long distances(zonelines I guess)..and if Unreal 5 helped resolve this, due to how much larger the world can now be..

In another thread it was suggested to me that I read the wiki since something similar was already there. I hadn't read the wiki for years, and quite a few things had been added since. After giving it a read, I stumbled upon King Atrax in the Relics section of the wiki. Mentioned in numerous other sections as well.
    I have no idea what you mean by “if you leave it alone, you arent missing anything aside from being denied the ability to return to normal.”
    From the wiki:

"...incorporates random story driven interruptions to the normal flow of the world..."

"...That's the type of domino effect system or event you want that appears in a natural non-injunction way, but it presents a problem to the players to that they have to accomplish something at least if they want to change it back to the status quo...."- Steven Sharif
    Who says that players can’t ally with Ancients and earn something by helping them stay in control of a Castle??
    It’s probably more likely that a Guild will get better stuff from owning a Castle.

Seems like the Ancients are being portrayed as the main baddie that we are all fighting against, does it not?

From the ashes wiki, The Ancients:
    The Ancients (the original creations of the Ten gods) and The Others (the banished gods) are the primary antagonists in the lore who defiled and perverted all of creation

From the events wiki:
    Corrupted areas (zones/points of interest) can dynamically evolve with the progression of nodes.[19][32]

Harbingers that exist on Verra as dungeons are where The Ancients are capable of pushing into the material plane. They can continue to do so under the guise of the effects of corruption as it spreads.[20]
    These are sources of NPC events that players need to address before they grow out of hand.[13][19]

Seems like("seems like" means I have not been presented info to the contrary) corruption and the ancients involvement are aspects of the game that we don't want to get out of control, just based on everything that I see as being repeatedly mentioned. To your point though, if you really want bad things to happen to an opposing guild/node or w/e, I suppose you may try to hinder them from halting the corruption spread near their node by PKing them, and in that sense, sure, it may help you if corruption spreads in their area. The plight of others is your reward.
    Who says that players can’t gain anything by allying with the Goblins?
    An Ice Wizard might gain quite a lot from allying with a Winter Dragon - especially since their abilities will be stronger during winter.

I don't know who says that. It's quite possible that you help the goblins instead. No clue.

From the factions wiki:
    There are no predefined factions in Ashes of Creation.[1]

There are pseudo-factions (temporary factions) in Ashes of Creation.[2]
    Node wars flag the citizens of the warring nodes and their allies as enemies for the duration of the node war.[2]
    Guild wars flag the members of the warring guilds and their allies as enemies for the duration of the guild war.[2]
    Social organizations offer quest lines to assault other organizations.[2]
    We present the player with these soft friction events and then that determines who your friends and your foes are.[2] – Steven Sharif

Because we are non-faction based, you want to grant the user the ability to either do things that are "evil" or "good", so there has to be a plethora of choice on the evil side for them to participate in.[3] – Steven Sharif
    And it all progresses the story one way or another, for good or for ill, so…I don’t understand what content is missing.
    It’s just different content.

If the forest burning as opposed to not burning is what you consider content, then yes, the content is different, but this is not the content I'm referring to and I think you know that very well. Do you gain anything from being prevented the harvesting of lumber, as you watch your money maker get burned to the ground? The incentive is to put out the fire so you can return to harvesting lumber. The content here is the economic impact of the lumber trade, not something as trivial as watching the forest burn. That's just sparkles. Lumber harvesting removed, you need to do something to get it back.

Now, instead of a forest on fire, it's the corn fields that you're now blocked from getting....whatever is causing that is what you need to stop to be able to get back to being able to get the corn. "Back to normal"

From the events wiki:
    "...we can't get the corn we need in order to build the reagents on the alchemical side to create this craft- That's the type of domino effect system or event you want that appears in a natural non-injunction way, but it presents a problem to the players to that they have to accomplish something at least if they want to change it back to the status quo...." - Steven

With respect to the Ancients and their castle...since they are the main antagonists, it just seems unlikely that we are supposed to help them. Could be a secret they are holding onto, or an idea that's on the backburner, but I think if we could, they would have said so, at least for this. That's a main feature, if so.
    What is your suggestion supposed to encourage? King Atrax and his horde marches across the world and what?
    We’re going to try to stop that the same as we try to stop any other threat.
    Or let it play out so we can see what happens.

Well, my suggestion is more realistic and reflective of what transpires in reality, along with fantasy novels and movies. It's just cooler that way. I was initially asking if this was possible, or if technical issues prevent this from occurring. If they can't do it, then by default, NPC armies cannot march across the lands over great distances and they have to come up with some other way to simulate something close to this...which is spontaneously poofing from out of nowhere, in any given local area, based on the trigger that caused it to happen.

If an NPC faction like this could exist, and provide a significant threat, whereby it can behave as players do with nodes etc, that might be one cool way to breathe life into the world.
    As far as I know, Corruption does not spread.
    Where is the info on Corruption spreading to a Region??
    I know nothing about Corruption timers. Where is that info??

Corruption spreading is found in the events section of the wiki, quote from Steven. It's also mentioned in the youtube video that you linked, where Steven is talking about events.

The timer ticking, when Steven says that, it's not a literal timer/clock at the top of your screen, or at least thats not what I believe he means. If you need to be to work by 7am and its 6:50am, you have 10 minutes or you're late. If you need to reach 6000 clicks on your car before you bring it in for scheduled maintenance, then who knows when that happens. Depends how much driving you do. In each case, a timer is ticking, as in, its just a matter of time.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I wanted to know if they had made any mention of NPC armies and their ability to traverse the landscape...gave an example using King Atrax, to help identify what I meant and hoped would be possible....curious if they overcame the technical issues EQNext apparently had with NPCs traveling long distances(zonelines I guess)..and if Unreal 5 helped resolve this, due to how much larger the world can now be..
    It's all the same door.
    None of what you wrote answered my question about what you mean by “if you leave it alone, you arent missing anything aside from being denied the ability to return to normal.”
    I'm human and can forget some details, but I know more about the game than what's written in the wiki.
    So I fully undertsand that one of the motivations for participating in Events it to return things to the status quo.

I still don't know what you are trying to convey by stating:
    “If you leave it alone, you arent missing anything aside from being denied the ability to return to normal.”
    And I don't undertsand how your suggestion is intended to alleviate the dilemma you perceive from what we know of the current design.

Seems like the Ancients are being portrayed as the main baddie that we are all fighting against, does it not?
    The Ancients are one big baddie that will be a major adversary for both the adventurers from Sanctus and the Tulnar. Yes. Steven is loathe to release much lore, so that's the primary example of a big baddie we have right now.
    That does not answer the question I asked you.

From the events wiki:
    Corrupted areas (zones/points of interest) can dynamically evolve with the progression of nodes.
    There are pockets in the world where Corruption lingers in the world.
    But, this sounds like it's really just another example of an Ashes event.
    It's not much different than the spread of the Perpetual Winter caused by the Winter Dragon.
    It's not much different than the example I gave.
    I don't understand how it's different than the example you gave of King Atrax. If you don't stop the smaller predicate events, they can turn into Major Global Events.

To your point though, if you really want bad things to happen to an opposing guild/node or w/e, I suppose you may try to hinder them from halting the corruption spread near their node by PKing them, and in that sense, sure, it may help you if corruption spreads in their area. The plight of others is your reward.
    The reward is participating in pushing the server story in interesting directions.
    I might choose to "worship" The Others instead of The Seven. That might include supporting the Ancients and the spread of corruption.
    I might choose to support the Goblins instead of oppose them because I believe in equal rights for Goblins.
    I might choose to support the Goblins because I like Goblins more than I like Empyrean.
    I might choose to support the Winter Dragon because the Perpetual Winter makes my Ice Wizard's abilities stronger and provides me access to Ice related gear and cosmetics.

If the forest burning as opposed to not burning is what you consider content, then yes, the content is different, but this is not the content I'm referring to and I think you know that very well. Do you gain anything from being prevented the harvesting of lumber, as you watch your money maker get burned to the ground? The incentive is to put out the fire so you can return to harvesting lumber. The content here is the economic impact of the lumber trade, not something as trivial as watching the forest burn. That's just sparkles. Lumber harvesting removed, you need to do something to get it back.
    I have no clue what you are referring to. That's why I asked you the question.
    Resources are scarce. I could be prevented from harvesting the lumber I want because the region has been over-harvested and that lumber no longer exists where it used to. I could be prevented from harvesting the lumber I want because rival players have moved in and they believe only they should have access to that lumber. Could be that some other Node's ZOI has overtaken that region and the Mayor declares me an Enemy of the State because they want to keep the lumber for themselves.

If I see a burning forest, it's quite natural to want to put the fire out. It's easy to understand that if I just let a forest burn, plenty of other disastrous eevents might result from that...beyond just the depletion of lumber.
    I don't need the depletion of my lumber harvesting (or how a lack of lumber disrupts the economy) to be my primary motivation for saving a forest from burning.

Now, instead of a forest on fire, it's the corn fields that you're now blocked from getting....whatever is causing that is what you need to stop to be able to get back to being able to get the corn. "Back to normal"
    If I see corn fields on fire, I'm probably going to try to see if I should put the fire out.
    Because it's typically a good idea to put out fires. Unless someone has a great reason for the fire to be there.
    I wouldn't be thinking that I need to "return things to normal" or need to return to the status quo.

It could be that burning corn fields provides alchemical reagents I want, so it behooves me not only to let the corn fields burn, but also to cause corn fields to burn.
    Perhaps one of The Others I worship is a pyro and I'm a Fire Wizard.
    Could be that causing corn fields to burn helps to spread my Religion.

With respect to the Ancients and their castle...since they are the main antagonists, it just seems unlikely that we are supposed to help them. Could be a secret they are holding onto, or an idea that's on the backburner, but I think if we could, they would have said so, at least for this. That's a main feature, if so.
    The Ancients are a major baddie. The devs expect most players to support the Seven and oppose The Others and The Ancients, but...
    "There will be quest paths that do take you along a more darker route which can lead to certain types of 'worship' for The Others."
    ---Steven

Well, my suggestion is more realistic and reflective of what transpires in reality, along with fantasy novels and movies. It's just cooler that way. I was initially asking if this was possible, or if technical issues prevent this from occurring. If they can't do it, then by default, NPC armies cannot march across the lands over great distances and they have to come up with some other way to simulate something close to this...which is spontaneously poofing from out of nowhere, in any given local area, based on the trigger that caused it to happen.
    And... I still have no clue what is supposed to be making your suggestion more "realistic" than the current game design. I don't know how you think your suggestion differs significantly from the current game design.
    As far as I can tell, the devs are already doing what you suggested: If we don't stop the minor, local predicate events, they can literally snowball into Major Global Events.
    Just NPCs will not be building Nodes.
    Events don't really just "poof" out of nowhere.

In the video above Steven even states:
    "What the Events represent is a way for us to attempt to introduce content in a more fluid, more natural, in a more progression based way, that the world is reacting to player-based activity."

If an NPC faction like this could exist, and provide a significant threat, whereby it can behave as players do with nodes etc, that might be one cool way to breathe life into the world.
    We do not live in a time when AI can behave as players do. We don't have the tech for that, yet.
    And the Ashes devs are not striving to even match the potential of StoryBricks.
    Still NPCs can provide a signifcant threat. And during Monster Coin attacks, players can inhabit mobs to wreak havoc for a Node in a variety of ways.

Corruption spreading is found in the events section of the wiki, quote from Steven. It's also mentioned in the youtube video that you linked, where Steven is talking about events.
    Mmmm hmmmn. I thought you were referring to player Corruption.
    Yes. As Steven says in the video above...there's a wide variety of Events that can spread.
    Could be a plague, could be a natural disaster, could be a response from an NPC faction.
    There are pockets of a form of corruption that is different than player Corruption (which Clerics have a utility skill to dissipate) which could spread as an Event. Yes.

It seems like when corruption spreads, it spreads to a region, but the effects are local, like monster attacks are more frequent in those areas.. but they spawn out of nowhere and remain local, despite a region being affected... a timer is ticking... if you dont defeat a certain local areas corruption, when that timer is finished counting the next local area gets affected, and then things randomly spawn there... nothing actually physically moves around.
    The timer ticking, when Steven says that, it's not a literal timer/clock at the top of your screen, or at least thats not what I believe he means. If you need to be to work by 7am and its 6:50am, you have 10 minutes or you're late. If you need to reach 6000 clicks on your car before you bring it in for scheduled maintenance, then who knows when that happens. Depends how much driving you do. In each case, a timer is ticking, as in, its just a matter of time.
    Steven says that there is always a clock ticking. A volcano is prepping to erupt. Tectonic plates are moving towards an earthquake. A plague is imminent. A war is brewing.
    In Ashes, Events are triggered by a variety of things besides just time. Many of the triggers derive from what buildings are constructed and which Nodes are progressed to a specific Stage. So, yes, if your Py'Rai Village never builds a Temple to Norlan and then progresses to become an Empyrean Town with a Temple to Resna, you will have missed the time period for when the Event associated with Py'Rai Temple to Norlan can be triggered and that region will have moved on to a different Event.
    Ashes is a game that is programmed, so you can expect there to be hooks in the code that say things like "If the Goblins are not defeated in 6 days, Stage 3 of the Event will trigger." And, if you defeat the Goblins before 6 days, Stage 3 of the Event will not trigger. But, you can also expect that if Stage 3 is triggered, it's likely to become a regional Event, rather than a local event. That doesn't mean that when you trigger the Goblin Event, if you don't defeat the Goblins in 6 days, the Goblin Event ends and we move on to the Volcano Event as if there is a 6 day Goblin Event that disppears once the timer ends.

I don't know where you got the notion that "nothing actually physically moves around".

https://youtu.be/tqsybteR44Q?t=2779
    mark 47:19

"There's obvioulsy going to be Events that spawn as a certain type of development, so, in a sense that's kind of timed because it's put behind an achievement in the game and the community and their development. But, at the same time, we don't ever want there to be stagnation so if Events don't occur within a certain time period, they could randomly have a window when they can come up."
    ---Steven

I don't have time to also write out Jeffrey's subsequent quote.
    But, you should listen to it.
  • Options
    Appreciate the references you have been giving Dygz, and anyone else.

With that said, I still dont know if what I outlined and questioned in my opening post is a thing in the game. I refuse to speculate and arrive at a yes.

I didnt come across that quote from Mr Steven regarding paths where players can help "The Others"... little vague on how thats accomplished, but thats cool. I guess he didnt elaborate any further?

With respect to "A.I".... I think when AI is mentioned, some people imagine a god like computer brain, when thats not needed. Have you ever played Total War Warhammer? Warcraft? Starcraft? Shadows of Mordor with the Nemesis system? They should be able to do this with an NPC faction. Happens in so many other games.

Nothing actually physically moves.... I asked if Unreal 5 solves the problems EQNext was having with NPC armies moving across large distances of land.(if npc armies that move across the land is even a thing in AOC) They apparently couldnt make it happen in EQNext. Changing terrain being one issue, and I think zonelines? Fuzzy on my recollection. Probably BSing their issues... so if the NPCs dont gather up in one local area and physically move to the next local area and spreading their corruption or w/e that way, then what does that leave?
  • Options
    edited August 2022

What you wrote is that you want the AI in Ashes to behave like players. The AI in Ashes is not going to behave like players.
    The AI in Warcraft and Starcraft does not behave like player characters in an MMORPG.
    If all you are saying is that you want the AI to move across the land and attack Nodes, we see a glimpse of that with the Goblins in the Events demo.
    But, no, AI is not going to be building and progressing Nodes in Ashes.

Where is the dev quote that led you to believe "nothing actually physically moves"?
    UE5 really has nothing to do with whether or not the AI can walk their way across the map.
    EQNext was canceled way in the early stages of Pre-Alpha, so that's not a valid example.
    Landmark had issues getting their AI to travel even a couple of feet due to the AI needing to re-evaluate changes to the voxel environment. That has nothing to do with Ashes since Ashes is not using voxels.
    NPCs are not really "spreading their corruption".
    NPCs can move across the map in subsequent Stages if we don't squash them in the early Stages of the Event.
    Same for natural disasters.
    Same for unnatural disasters.
    Same for plagues.
    Same for corruption - if an Event with corruption is triggered.
  • Options

What you wrote is that you want the AI in Ashes to behave like players. The AI in Ashes is not going to behave like players.
    The AI in Warcraft and Starcraft does not behave like player characters in an MMORPG.
    If all you are saying is that you want the AI to move across the land and attack Nodes, we see a glimpse of that with the Goblins in the Events demo.
    But, no, AI is not going to be building and progressing Nodes in Ashes.

Where is the dev quote that led you to believe "nothing actually physically moves"?
    UE5 really has nothing to do with whether or not the AI can walk their way across the map.
    EQNext was canceled way in the early stages of Pre-Alpha, so that's not a valid example.
    Landmark had issues getting their AI to travel even a couple of feet due to the AI needing to re-evaluate changes to the voxel environment. That has nothing to do with Ashes since Ashes is not using voxels.
    NPCs are not really "spreading their corruption".
    NPCs can move across the map in subsequent Stages if we don't squash them in the early Stages of the Event.
    Same for natural disasters.
    Same for unnatural disasters.
    Same for plagues.
    Same for corruption - if an Event with corruption is triggered.

So you don't know for sure. Oh well. I have hopes.

Not that it's a bad thing to have an imagination, but you imagined quite a bit of scenarios to take place throughout your posts and people can likely follow along with that imagining, even if they dont actually happen.

When the shoe is on the other foot and you're confronted with someone elses imagination, for some reason you are requiring a detailed thesis, and a recap of everything already previously mentioned, to assist in making the connection between ideas, or else you warp and twist what was being said, either by taking things way too literal, and/or failing to bridge the gap between what was said about another game and how something similar can arise in AOC. First time I mentioned this, some other guy in this thread said that would be awesome to have. Another says they dont like fighting NPCs in this way because its not the same as fighting a human... those guys understood in a heart beat. Why is that? I would love to map it all out, and quote my own quotes, from individual posts, so the bridge is clear in sight, line em all up for you, but thats a lot of work and I dont have the time.

"The AI in Warcraft and Starcraft does not behave like player characters in an MMORPG".. how did even come up with this based on what I said? I can try maybe later to elaborate, but I think you know better Dygz and can figure out how it would be implemented.