Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Opening Day

With AoC being a real time game where monster and dungeon instances don’t really occur, I have some skepticism for the release day. With a limit of 10,000 players per server, I am in concern for contested content for the first month. Without instances bosses and dungeons I could very easily see a divided community of the “haves” and “have nots”. This could be a problem early on and even later down the road. Any thoughts on this? Also I fear this could be situational with mobs, as well as crafting supplies being monopolized. Like rare supplies or loot that people just sit on.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    TheNextFlo wrote: »
    With AoC being a real time game where monster and dungeon instances don’t really occur, I have some skepticism for the release day. With a limit of 10,000 players per server, I am in concern for contested content for the first month. Without instances bosses and dungeons I could very easily see a divided community of the “haves” and “have nots”. This could be a problem early on and even later down the road. Any thoughts on this? Also I fear this could be situational with mobs, as well as crafting supplies being monopolized. Like rare supplies or loot that people just sit on.

My understanding of the design is that this is explicitly the intention.

I don't think you can count it as a problem when the designers make it part of the gameplay loop unless you're saying who exactly it is a problem for.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    That's by design.

Expressed through the words of Steven.

"There will be winners and loser".
    "Not everybody will be a winner"

Scarcity and competition is key
  • Options
    WraithbaneWraithbane Member
    edited August 2022
    Yes I agree, but if it affects thousands of players it will be the demise of the game. I’m not saying it will, and honestly I have high hopes for things as it stands. I just want to make sure it won’t become detrimental to gameplay is all. I know a lot of hardcore players and a lot of casual players so it’s hard to justify things.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    What Azherae said plus the fact that all locations in the game will start from the lowest lvl of mobs/bosses. So that 10k people will have a place to go farm, they'll just need to move a bit further away from the spawn portals.

Obviously different people will have different amounts of time they can play, so anyone who has a ton of time will be leveling up both themselves and their nodes. And they'll have high lvl content in those nodes. This will most likely be a fairly limited amount of people (cause leveling will take a long time).

And the higher you go, the fewer people there'll be at that progress lvl. So I think that this will not be as much of a problem as it was in all the previous mmos that had preestablished leveling locations that could only fit a certain amount of people at any given time. But even if this doesn't work out perfectly, as Azherae said, the rarity of things is an intended design choice.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The potential "problem" will be alleviated by having quite a few different start zones on each server, so the players will quickly spread out.

This spreading out is further enabled by each node - close to a hundred of them - having low level mobs. In other words, there will be LOTS of places for new players to go. This is different from many other games which began with a very limited 'starter area' on each server which crowded all the players together when the server first opened.

Therefore, it is true that there will be conflict by design. But well-informed players will quickly transit out of the starter areas once they do the handy quests and heard towards the more distant and remote nodes on the map. This will work great since a lot of different nodes will then start to grow.

Once we do Alpha 2, we will certainly know more about how this will shake out. Personally, I hope we will be in Alpha 2 before I have to turn on my air conditioner next year.
  • Options
    If everyone has the same achievement... than it is no achievement at all.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What you're talking about is essentially intended. But you may be imagining the economy/gear progression of the game to be more one dimensional than it is.

It won't only be about securing boss kills or dungeons. It will be about making money in the several different avenues the game gives you. Grinding mobs in the world, the artisan/crafting system (gathering, processing, taming/breeding mounts), fishing, caravans, farming on freeholds.

It will all be contested to varying extents. But not 10,000 people all contesting each other in dungeons or at a boss mob. It will be spread across the world, across multiple different types of activities.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Git gud.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Git gud.

4is3716yuvnz.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Experience or XP will be gathered what ever you do so if player's are hording the dungeon or camping it etc... (probably will happen)
    go herbing or do a quest do something else with your time. Also best gear in the game is the one that is crafted so while those people that are farming the dungeon to get a resource will probably need other resources to craft that so just sell it on the AH for a good
    cough cough over priced just to say f**k you lmao

Cough cough
    "Damaged gear can be reforged at a player stall using a portion of the materials that were necessary to craft the item.[93][94][89]"

Either way you really should focus on the adventuring part of the game rather then the leveling of the game, because there wont be a end game.... so the more knowledge you pick up just exploring will better you off in the long run.

PS
    Also there might be "cartographer" (person who makes maps) Idk have to read the discussion to see whats it all about here