Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: Official Dual Monitor support/features

Hello Glorious Ashes of Creation of community,

I was thinking that post launch [to avoid scope creep], it would be a neat idea to have an optional feature for people to enable to allow Ashes to use and consume two monitors at the same time. The idea would be that the primary monitor you have selected is used for the "main game" meaning your character, critical UI elements such as hot bars minimaps/compass etc...

With the "Enable Dual Monitor Features" enabled, a second monitor of your choosing would be allowed to be used as extra real-estate such as having your inventory bags open 24/7, quest log fully expanded, full map opened up - Recipe books open etc... This would allow you to have your primary screen almost "clutter free" from different UI elements that players end up complaining about.

The 2nd monitor could have customizable "background" options such as just a black screen, or possibly random Ashes of Creation background images that have been already been posted and be released in the future. Maybe allow players to choose their own custom background image?

Thanks,
Threather

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    That kinda sounds just like a customizable UI on a wide monitor, but with extra steps. Especially if ultra wide monitors will give you a bigger fov than a standard one in Ashes. Cause at that point you're "cheating", so all that extra space could be just taken up by UI elements.
  • Options
    ThreatherThreather Member
    edited August 2022
    The feature of an Ashes of Creation Dual Monitor is to not increase the viewable in-game world. It's there to provide a blank canvas to put other UI elements that is not the active world/character(s).

Things like:
    • Chat boxes
    • Bags
    • Work Orders
    • Quests
    • Timers [For sieges/nodes/battle grounds]
    • Maps
    • Menus
    • Skills/talents
    • Artisan recipe books
    • In-game notepad
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Threather wrote: »
    The feature of an Ashes of Creation Dual Monitor is to not increase the viewable in-game world. It's there to provide a blank canvas to put other UI elements that is not the active world/character(s).
    So yeah, like I said, extra steps. If ultrawides already give you more fov, than this kind of feature would just bring you back to a "fair" setup.
  • Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean I'm not against it I have two monitors, but if I were to be honest probably going to be using my second monitor for other stuff then that.
  • Options
    I personally do not use 2 monitors, but I like the idea.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Actually after thinking about converting to ultrawide an issue that may be something for AoC and any future game maker to consider is the UI`s often fail in the traditional setup when at opposite ends of an ultrawide screen and to make idea may mean more than just placement but a full built for purpose design!
  • Options
    Threather wrote: »

Things like:
    • Chat boxes
    • Bags
    • Work Orders
    • Quests
    • Timers [For sieges/nodes/battle grounds]
    • Maps
    • Menus
    • Skills/talents
    • Artisan recipe books
    • In-game notepad

pretty much agree.

Would be nice to be able to shove UI elements onto the other screen such as your character paperdoll, stats, chat and all that to allow you to declutter your play screen and make it cleaner. pretty much anything that pops up on your screen when you hit a button will go on the other screen.
  • Options
    Dual monitor is great for having all chats in the second monitor, besides that is overkill
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    I am against this idea as it penalizes folks with one screen. I also perfer to use my second screen for other things non-game related, or even to have game related online resources.