Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Designer Potions

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
What do you all think of letting Alchemists make designer potions?

It's essentially no different from the current plans of crafters being able to assign different stats and abilities to gear to let players customize gear for their chosen class and build.

We know almost nothing of the alchemy profession yet. In A1 we had health and mana potions, and we could make fish oil as an ingredient for crafting armor. So there is a lot of guesswork still.
  • For example, perhaps we can make combo health/mana potions, and maybe even specify if 50/50 or 75/25.
  • If stat potions are a thing, and people can't just chug potions for all the stats, instead of having to choose between strength or dexterity, an alchemist can make a str/dex potion with half each.
  • Perhaps we'll get stealth potions and run speed potions, and an alchemist can combine both buffs into a stealth/speed potion with half the duration and/or lower speed boost.

I am sure you get the gist of it. Whatever types of potions Intrepid allows, if players can combine and design within that framework it'll promote more direct social interactions between alchemists and their customers. If all potions are just the basic heal/mana/single stat buff or ability we know from other games, alchemists are more likely to be relegated to just mass producing potions and putting them in their shop or auction house, with little interaction with their customers.

Comments

• Options
    I'd like that. Seems like a better approach than the classical use recipe, craft predetermined pot formular
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Yep, i'd also hope that some of the passive, set, and active abilities that we can get on gear can also put into a potion. I'd imagine we might also have potion grenades since that's what the potion launch shoots.

This is kind of a side note to this but i'd hope we get something like lost ark's battle item slots that allows us to slot a restricted number of potions and other battle items for use. I like the idea of having a variety of potion effects but could see it being annoying having to carry every kind of potion with you. Would be nice if you picked a restricted number of potions you could use in combat as part of your build.
  • Options
    Yeah this just makes a lot of sense. And it fits with the rest of the crafting system.
  • Options
    Seems cool! I want a limit to the scales that can be applied (i.e. perhaps just a 50/50 between two) - or an easy way if we need to, to search for items. I am trying to think of the end user experience of looking for potions and there will be 100% health pots, 75/25 health/mana, 50/50 health mana, 25/75 health mana and then the 100% mana. And then variations for all the combinations! Will these all be re-named or do we need to filter that somehow?

I like the idea of combining and would like a limit not on creativeness but just pure depth in the system purely for the end user experience of having to find them. Otherwise, cool idea!
  • Options
    AidanKD wrote: »
    Seems cool! I want a limit to the scales that can be applied (i.e. perhaps just a 50/50 between two) - or an easy way if we need to, to search for items. I am trying to think of the end user experience of looking for potions and there will be 100% health pots, 75/25 health/mana, 50/50 health mana, 25/75 health mana and then the 100% mana. And then variations for all the combinations! Will these all be re-named or do we need to filter that somehow?

I like the idea of combining and would like a limit not on creativeness but just pure depth in the system purely for the end user experience of having to find them. Otherwise, cool idea!

How do you think it will work with adjustable stats on armors @AidanKD
    The same way it would work with potions. You enter the effects in the search window.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    sliders.... more sliders
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    AidanKD wrote: »

I agree in general. Like @Warth is saying, we need a system like that anyway for gear, where players can filter and search based on stats, but even so, I think it's ok to limit variety a little bit.

Just because someone ran 1000 simulations and theory-crafted the "Perfect Potion TM" for their build, with 1023 health, 317 mana and 23 stamina, I think it's fine if we can't make potion stats that granular. Let's get the numbers rounded off.

But I would definitely want for a lot of variety, and a great UI and search interface to let players quickly search for and see stats of potions that match the filters.
  • Options
    I came here for the Gucci and Balenciaga magicka potions... I'm disappointed...
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    I came here for the Gucci and Balenciaga magicka potions... I'm disappointed...

I mean, if we get to design the looks too, I would be totally for it :D
  • Options
    I'm very strongly in favor of professions like alchemy and cooking being subject to player experimentation. I really liked the cooking discovery system in GW2, where you had to put ingredients together into a table until the system suggested it might make something if you tried combining them, and if you committed, it would produce a new recipe for you. A lot of the recipes were for cooking components - items that didn't do anything on their own but were necessary to make other things. Different types of dough, different stocks, pie fillings, etc. As you got your hands on more component items, new recipes would become a little more obvious. As someone who enjoys experimental baking, I found it really fun to mess around with new ingredients I got my hands on throughout the leveling process and see what I could do to further my cooking skill.

I think this same concept could be applied to alchemy. Making different oils, decoctions, alcohol bases, perhaps including a system of needing to add ingredients in a certain order, regulating temperature when heating ingredients with a low, medium, and high heat setting on your cauldron / burner. Being able to regulate the amount / introduction order / processing of each ingredient to achieve slightly different effects would be an interactive way to modulate a few fractional differences in the resulting item's effects. Once you've made a certain potion one time, maybe you can choose to just select it from your recipe book and hit "make" to keep it from becoming too monotonous. Perhaps I enjoy a little more complexity than most, but when you're literally trying to discover new things, I think providing some interactive variables adds to the thrill, suspense, and mystery of that discovery process.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

How do you think it will work with adjustable stats on armors @AidanKD
    The same way it would work with potions. You enter the effects in the search window.

That is a point. I guess to compare to WoW as that's most my experience, different combinations did generate names. So like, Sword of the Boar, of the Owl, of the Eagle - though that was a name for the existence of stats and the variance between them was random.

I think that it would work better if the potion was i.e. Health Potion, Mana Potion and "Elixir" maybe for the combination - but the naming if we are going to have fixed break points for %'s is where I think it differs a bit from the armour system for me.

I think the way I see armour crafting working is you can choose what stats you want, and lets say there are a pool of 100 stats for each Crit and haste, 200 stats total. There might be a deviation of 20 where you can have a minimum of 80 of one stat and 120 max of the other or anywhere inbetween. Does this need to exist? Not necessarily - but I also can't see us being able to tweak the stat weights to that degree as I just haven't ever seen that. So for the same reason I feel potions probably will be in the same boat where we can have a Health/Mana and Mix, but maybe not an inbetween. Especially as it's a consumable and for stacking purposes I feel it's again a little different. I might be nitpicking but I hope I am making some sense.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    What do you all think of letting Alchemists make designer potions?

It's essentially no different from the current plans of crafters being able to assign different stats and abilities to gear to let players customize gear for their chosen class and build.

We know almost nothing of the alchemy profession yet. In A1 we had health and mana potions, and we could make fish oil as an ingredient for crafting armor. So there is a lot of guesswork still.
    • For example, perhaps we can make combo health/mana potions, and maybe even specify if 50/50 or 75/25.
    • If stat potions are a thing, and people can't just chug potions for all the stats, instead of having to choose between strength or dexterity, an alchemist can make a str/dex potion with half each.
    • Perhaps we'll get stealth potions and run speed potions, and an alchemist can combine both buffs into a stealth/speed potion with half the duration and/or lower speed boost.

I am sure you get the gist of it. Whatever types of potions Intrepid allows, if players can combine and design within that framework it'll promote more direct social interactions between alchemists and their customers. If all potions are just the basic heal/mana/single stat buff or ability we know from other games, alchemists are more likely to be relegated to just mass producing potions and putting them in their shop or auction house, with little interaction with their customers.

This actually fits really well with a suggestion someone else has a thread about right now about discoverable recipes. This way it adds a massive variety to the amount of discoverable recipes there are(and not just what you mentioned, but qualities of these potions that have different recipes also), and them being server specific, it could very well be a long enough time that by online guides get fleshed out for it, that a server reset can happen and start it all over again.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    Love this! It would also add diversity to taverns and nodes. I think a naming system should be in place where every new creation made gets a randomized fantasy style name if the meal,drink, or potion you make is successful. That name will be universal across the server.

I also think a system should be in place where you can fail to successfully make the item. So you can do 25/25. It’s just a lesser potion that probably requires less ingredients. But you can’t do 50/75 without the potion blowing up in your face.You’d need to keep percentages lower or equal to 100%. Pretty much what @AidanKD said just with a cool animation of you fail.

• Options
    gud idea!
    +1
    Monkey Business (EU) is RECRUITING
    kWbm5nG.gif
  • Options
    Cool stuff man.

Cool stuff.

Hope Intrepid goes for such innovative systems.