Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Time for a Release Poll Again!

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
It is has been a good span of time since a poll was posted to speculate on the release date!

Place your bets

https://strawpoll.com/polls/BJnX4DDVLnv

Comments

• Options
    There's no "Whenever it's ready" option...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    What is the benifit of making something like that? It seems pointless to me...
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 2022
    would of been better off with poll for alpha 2 release date :P no one realy cares bout release atm cause it a long way off where alpha 2 is somewhat close
  • Options
    30 poll replies so far, and 50% think 2024Q4 or later..

• Options
    beapo wrote: »
    What is the benefit of making something like that? It seems pointless to me...

does everything in life have to have a beneficial purpose? Why do games add the option to pet dogs in games? It's not gameplay. But it's something that people like.

I don't see any harm in a speculative poll on when you think the game will come out. At a time where we have so little to talk about, we can afford to have topics like this that are just for fun.

Incidentally, I picked "2024 Q4" - which is up there with the popular choices.

I am thinking autumn/winter 2023 for Alpha 2, giving us a year to try and get Beta ready which will hopefully have the game a few months from release at that point.
  • Options
    AidanKD wrote: »
    What is the benefit of making something like that? It seems pointless to me...

does everything in life have to have a beneficial purpose? Why do games add the option to pet dogs in games? It's not gameplay. But it's something that people like.

I don't see any harm in a speculative poll on when you think the game will come out. At a time where we have so little to talk about, we can afford to have topics like this that are just for fun.

Incidentally, I picked "2024 Q4" - which is up there with the popular choices.

I am thinking autumn/winter 2023 for Alpha 2, giving us a year to try and get Beta ready which will hopefully have the game a few months from release at that point.

Don't forget there's 2 betas. I'd say early next year for Alpha 2, then a year later for Beta 1 then a half a year or so for Beta 2.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited August 2022
    For some reason when I try to edit a post it makes an entirely new post with my comment quoted..

Anyways I was going to edit and say Beta 2 then rolling out right into a release.

5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »

60 votes and almost the same result..
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited August 2022

Would be the ''I'm okay with it coming out as late as it wants as long as it comes out good = we shouldn't hurry the devs out, they're clearly of good faith, hurrying things would only bring bad results'' option I guess.

I sort of agree with it, although, objectively, looking at how serious Intrepid seems to be, at UE5's performance and how long it took other mmo-rpgs to develop, I'd expect mid or late 2025.
  • Options
    BaltanBaltan Member
    edited August 2022
    I'm guessing alpha 2 late fall/ early winter, beta 1 a year later then beta 2 3mnths later , then release like a month after that. So I'm speculating full release 2024 which honestly isn't that long. Alpha 2 will be static testing too so we can play constantly/test and have fun. Might not be completed but I could see playing alpha 2 for a year without real complaints. It's better than living off monthly updates and copium
  • Options
    I think with the increased size of the development team and the switch to unreal engine 5 anyone who picked the later option is being pessimistic. I think we will have a 6 month A2 starting Q1 2023 then 4-6 months of intermittent B1 while A1 persist until launch. Then a B2 to test server stability at volume. This will be short so say a month. My prediction was Q1 2024 but Xmas might come early in 2023. Call me an optimist
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think with the increased size of the development team and the switch to unreal engine 5 anyone who picked the later option is being pessimistic. I think we will have a 6 month A2 starting Q1 2023 then 4-6 months of intermittent B1 while A1 persist until launch. Then a B2 to test server stability at volume. This will be short so say a month. My prediction was Q1 2024 but Xmas might come early in 2023. Call me an optimist

I picked later mostly due to a lack of key staff positions not being filled. There is a lot of failure and trial and error inherent to game design. A game can have good tech and a lot of bodies for failing quickly and repeatedly but without the right decision makers to guide failure towards a desired end state it's mostly random guessing.

If Steven were more skilled in game design I think my opinion would be different but how much he needed someone like Jeff has been very apparent this past year.

Jeff's old position, lead systems designer, lead economist. You can add more bodies all you want but these positions have an outsized effect on progress. The quicker they fill the shorter A2 needs to be and the quicker the games progress will be. Once filled I will start agreeing with late 2024. Early 2024 is still optimistic.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

I picked later mostly due to a lack of key staff positions not being filled. There is a lot of failure and trial and error inherent to game design. A game can have good tech and a lot of bodies for failing quickly and repeatedly but without the right decision makers to guide failure towards a desired end state it's mostly random guessing.

If Steven were more skilled in game design I think my opinion would be different but how much he needed someone like Jeff has been very apparent this past year.

Jeff's old position, lead systems designer, lead economist. You can add more bodies all you want but these positions have an outsized effect on progress. The quicker they fill the shorter A2 needs to be and the quicker the games progress will be. Once filled I will start agreeing with late 2024. Early 2024 is still optimistic.

How is it more apparent Jeff is needed this year? That is kind of card to assume when you don't know what they are doing...
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Where's the Alpha 2 in '22! option? ;)
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited August 2022
    I think with the increased size of the development team and the switch to unreal engine 5 anyone who picked the later option is being pessimistic.

I'd agree with you if the project we were talking about wasn't so insanely amibitious and if the devs did not promise to take their time so they can serve a polished product on release.

They really need to take their time and deliver an impressive Alpha 2.

Intrepid knows the huge impact the state of Alpha 2 will have on the game's image and future in general.
    The way streamers and all other content creators portray the game now will decide it's future greatly.

Your average content creator viewer doesn't understand what an alpha is, even if the content creator literally takes out the dictionary and explains it to him again and again.

Hell, many content creators themselves don't get it really.

So, while of course it won't be close to a finished product, it still needs to leave a good+ impression.

The character gameplay and world systems or at least most of them need to come out and come out in good enough shape that the content creators can have some serious fun with them.

This will take a lot of time. The game is very ambitious.

• Options
    I always thought Alpha 2 was planned to be short, and if that is and still is the case, then it will/should be quite polished
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I always thought Alpha 2 was planned to be short, and if that is and still is the case, then it will/should be quite polished

Alpha 2 is planned to be persistent, until release. It is an alpha. The game will not be completed yet when alpha 2 starts. Beta's are planned to be short.
  • Options

Alpha 2 is planned to be persistent, until release. It is an alpha. The game will not be completed yet when alpha 2 starts. Beta's are planned to be short.

And even after release, it'll be their public test server (which I'm still on the fence about liking or disliking its existence).
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »

And even after release, it'll be their public test server (which I'm still on the fence about liking or disliking its existence).

I mean... with complex systems, a test environment of an adequate scale is needed, to make sure patches truly are ready to be pushed.... as long as the "test servers" are reset on launch, and still possibly at risk of further resets, i dont mind them existing.
  • Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I did the poll but I'm in the category of not wanting a timeline because then it'll just get our hopes up when it's not met. I agree with Steven at least on that. I am loving the continual and steady hype of the game however, I love this community so far.

I'd rather them take all the time they need instead of rushing any part of the game and patching later.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options

I mean... with complex systems, a test environment of an adequate scale is needed, to make sure patches truly are ready to be pushed.... as long as the "test servers" are reset on launch, and still possibly at risk of further resets, i dont mind them existing.

I had a full thread discussion about this, but people chose to bury it by commenting on the umpteenth Cosmetic thread, or reviving Tank is a bad threads etc.

I personally don't think it is needed. Just have Intrepid test it internally or by hiring QAs. Opening it up to everyone will ultimately lead to similar situations as with WoW, where things are over-attuned for and by the 1% of players who actually test things to min-max their raid runs/node development choices etc. Though with the lack of story in AoC, there will at least not be a massive issue with spoilers.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022

I had a full thread discussion about this, but people chose to bury it by commenting on the umpteenth Cosmetic thread, or reviving Tank is a bad threads etc.

I personally don't think it is needed. Just have Intrepid test it internally or by hiring QAs. Opening it up to everyone will ultimately lead to similar situations as with WoW, where things are over-attuned for and by the 1% of players who actually test things to min-max their raid runs/node development choices etc. Though with the lack of story in AoC, there will at least not be a massive issue with spoilers.

Is a shame it gets burried as its a more interesting topic to discuss.

In a way, i feel like opening up alpha sales in general makes intrepids stance clear. They would rather get "free" or even "paid for" testing. Over having to do so internally. They are relying on their experienced team, and mmo experience to out weigh the overly focused testing envionment feedback.
  • Options

it's just for fun, its atleast as pointless as this comment
  • Options

Not sure why you would be against a public test server. It helps them prevent patches come out that turn out to be broken.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Scarbeus wrote: »

Not sure why you would be against a public test server. It helps them prevent patches come out that turn out to be broken.

Other games manage to release non-broken patches without a PTS. The idea that you need one is a very Blizzard idea.

To quote myself:

Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Can't really tell at the moment when the full release will take place until we have A2. It could be 1 year or a few but until we get into A2 it's purely guessing a random number.
  • Options

60 votes and almost the same result..

125 votes and same prediction.. 50% Q4 2024 or later
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm hoping for 2025 or there abouts. I like to stick to my 5 year pc upgrade plan lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif