Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will the combat system utilize the vertical space?

AsatsukiAsatsuki Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
One of my favorite things in action combat games is being able to double jump or use animation cancels to move vertically.

It brings a new dimension to fighting by letting you dodge by going into the air, and also raises the skill ceiling of your class because usually the animation cancels take a lot of practice to time. For example, slashing your sword to interrupt a skill that has an upwards animation, allowing you to jump again or shoot a bow from the air.

Combat gains true depth when animation cancels exist in games, which lets players get creative and form their own combat style.

Will AoC implement some sort of vertical combat capability or animation cancel?

Comments

• Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Animation canceling will not be an intended part of ashes combat. Im too lazy to find the quote, so sorry about that.

I dont think anyone can say anything about vertical movement tho, as the combat system has not been fully shown yet.
  • Options
    Hm... when I think "combat system utilize the vertical space" I think Sparta-kicking folks from cliffs. >:)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I could see combat leaps and such but i could also see this being treated as a "z axis" like in a side scrolling combat game. Its not that you dodged it hitbox wise, your model just goes into the "z axis" durring that particular skill. Essentually invincibility frames. But im not sure how they intend to do these things.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I'm all for it. As long as it makes sense and doesn't come off as something out of Cirque De Soleil lol. I love a fast paced fluid combat system. I do have a feeling a thread like this could easily spiral down into a action combat vs tap target again :grimace:
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    I wish it did. Give the tank/summoner an ability to create walls that people can jump on and attack from (like that transparent brick wall in one of the eaaaarly trailers). Make anyone with a shield have the ability to kneel and cover themselves with a shield, so that others could jump on that too.

I'd love that kind of vertical gameplay. Just jumping up and down seems silly to me in a game like Ashes.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    I wish it did. Give the tank/summoner an ability to create walls that people can jump on and attack from (like that transparent brick wall in one of the eaaaarly trailers). Make anyone with a shield have the ability to kneel and cover themselves with a shield, so that others could jump on that too.

I'd love that kind of vertical gameplay. Just jumping up and down seems silly to me in a game like Ashes.

You don't like bunny hopping? :wink:
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would much rather the conversation shifted to will combat be more 3 dimensional with terrain and buildings allowing cover, concealment and vantage points so fighting might be much more strategic from side, below and/or above.

• Options
    akabear wrote: »
    I would much rather the conversation shifted to will combat be more 3 dimensional with terrain and buildings allowing cover, concealment and vantage points so fighting might be much more strategic from side, below and/or above.

Love this!
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We had Catfall Boots in the Apocalypse test. They gave super jumping abilities and protection from falling damage. I don't know if we will have gear or abilities like that in the live game, but if so, that might give you some of what you're asking for here.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I recall in L2 & EOS staking out high ground vantage points that were not easy to see from below giving a great advantage to the first strike side in pvp.

Open field pvp is a little ordinary, much prefer terrain to come into play
  • Options
    In sieges and similar scenarios? Usually yes.

In the open world? Usually no, as most spaces do not have enough verticallity to employ it
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    In the open world? Usually no, as most spaces do not have enough verticallity to employ it
    Dungeons, bby! A shitton of potential vertical design. Pretty much every L2 dungeon had some sort of verticality, some more than others. Ashes could have the same. And I'd bet money that most of open world (that is, non-event one) pvp will be happening in dungeons.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Warth wrote: »
    In sieges and similar scenarios? Usually yes.

That is where the terrain needs to be worked on.. creating ravines, narrowing passes across rivers, tunnels and other land obstacles between destinations to channel the commute between some areas and thereby create opportunity or threat and/or some danger as pvp locations.

No complete open field movement between nodes, some of the paths to have choke points.

Great for caravan attacks and known ramp up in anticipation of an attack..

Fences/walls, thickets
  • Options
    I think this discussion should have its own thread!