Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Calling all Py’rai!

SaltyOnigiriSaltyOnigiri Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion

I personally love the Py’Rai and will absolutely be playing as one at release. However I’ve noticed a lot of people not liking the design because it isn’t a “traditional” elf.

We were told we can teleport anywhere at launch but my original plan was to stay at the Py’rai races starting area, which is shown in green on the map, because I want to be with my people and I love the design for our buildings.

The problem is the empyreans sound like they will be very popular and they’re starting zone, circled in red, appears to be the adjacent node.

This means we may be put in a disadvantageous position. I’m trying to gauge how many people are interested in playing as a Py’rai and planning to spawn at our starting point to determine if we have a fighting chance or if a group of us should search for a different node to occupy.

Edit: the video I got this from was purely speculation combined with my lack of understanding how gates work so ignore my comments above! We’re mostly using this chat to talk about Pyrians and weather you like their designs and plan to play as them!

Comments

• SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Wait, we know which races starting areas are which? Do you have a source for that? I'd love to learn more.

Edit: After a brief wiki dig, I find that it is not possible for players to start at either of the locations you have selected.

525px-mapportals.png
    Divine gateways are portals located in the ruined cities of the four ancient races of Verra.[2]

Divine gateways are where players first arrive in Ashes of Creation.[3]
    Each divine gateway is in proximity to one or more starting area.[2]
    (ref: Divine Gateways)

While those two circled diamonds are in fact "starting settlements for returning races", players will start only at the nearby circle. I only see one such circle, so it would appear that both Empyrean and Py'rai players would have to start in the same location, and walk to the city of their choice. That said... I didn't find any citation indicating that those are the Empyrean or Py'rai cities, or that we know which are which at all, so I'd still love to see that source, if you have it.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    We were told we can teleport anywhere at launch but my original plan was to stay at the Py’rai races starting area, which is shown in green on the map, because I want to be with my people and I love the design for our buildings.
    Um. By "teleport at launch", you mean we can start at any of the Divine Gateways?
    We are not restricted to starting at the Divine Gateway of our ancestral race. True.

Py'Rai and Empyreans would not have architecture at the Pyrian Divine Gateway.
    Pyrians had a different culture.

As far as Nodes you wish to progress...
    Which Node becomes a Py'Rai Node and which Node becomes an Empyrean Node will be different on each server. The map you linked doesn't really tell us which race will be at which Node on any server.
    There could be some servers where those end up starting as Vek or Khaelar Nodes. That's unlikely since they are so close to the Pyrian Divine Gateway, but... it's technically possible.

It's also possible that so many Empyrean players love your Py'Rai Town, that Empyreans end up being the dominant race when the Town becomes a City.
    And then all the architecture of that City would be Empyrean architecture instead of Py'Rai architecture.

Verra is a dynamic world, rather than a static world.

<3
  • SaltyOnigiriSaltyOnigiri Member
    edited August 2022
    I based the starting zones on a video but on further inspection pretty sure this is speculation.

I know this is a dynamic world and that we don’t have to set up a city at the node starting point. I also know that I don’t have to select the starting race zone. My worry was that if This video is right and both empyreans and Py’rai chose their zone based on the race starting zone their nodes may be adjacent which means only one could be leveled up to max level.

I think I just got over excited and assumed the zones in the video were finalized. 😂

I prefer Py’rai architecture which was why I was worried there would me too many empyreans in the node in the first place.

It’s interesting to think about! Thanks for updating me! I’ll be more careful about making sure info is final and from an official source!
  • And yes sorry I meant the divine gateways when I said teleport at launch :)
  • Ohhh I see the difference now! I thought divine gateways and nodes were the same! Please ignore my stupidity in this thread.
    edited August 2022
    Haha! That's what these forums are for!!
    Welcome aboard!!

It's technically possible for a server to have two Py'Rai Metros and also have two Empyrean Metros.

• Oh boy I hope it doesn’t become super unbalanced with most of the leading cities being one races architecture! I’m sure it’ll be fine though! Haven’t spent any money on the game yet but pretty invested in the concept!
    Cities only have the architecture style of the dominant race - the race that contributed most to the progression to the next Stage.
  • Oh right I’m curious about how many of you are gonna play Py’rai and if you like the look of the models!
    One of my alts is Py'Rai. I like the appearance, yes.
  • UnderdelveUnderdelve Member
    edited August 2022
    The Wild Hunt will rise!

q6qqnbl8udrv.jpg
  • Oh right I’m curious about how many of you are gonna play Py’rai and if you like the look of the models!

I'm undecided between Py'Rai or Ren’Kai for my ranger. I like the models but need to see them in game and animated, I need to see how the horns interact with hoods and helmets.
  • That’s a great point I don’t want to not be able to wear a cool hood because of my horns. Or it look really weird. I’d like to think knight helmets would look kinda funky depending on what horn shape you choose. Maybe they could look kinda like this?

https://i.etsystatic.com/5881066/r/il/62699f/2932463736/il_794xN.2932463736_cx4q.jpg

I would hate to ruin immersion by having the horns just disappear if you wear a helmet though.
  • ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm going to have 2 mains: Py'Rai and Empyrean! Hello fellow elfkin. :)
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Oooo that’s awesome! Single handedly re-merging the Pyrians. I’m hoping there will be enough character slots to make one of every race! I’m definitely thinking of having a Ren’kai character. I’ve never played as an orc in a game before but I like their take on it.
    edited August 2022
    I do like the orcs as well, and plan on filling my remainder slots with orcs and Vaelune. But who knows I might have several elves haha
  • I know I’m definitely gonna spend an unhealthy amount of time in character creation.
    I know I’m definitely gonna spend an unhealthy amount of time in character creation.

For sure, I'm glad they are going to release the creator before launch so I can jump right in the game with my saved character looks.
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I will be playing py'rai. Although yhe tulnar reveal made me rethink it a bit. I like the py'rai look so far. Can't wait to see how much we can alter it in the character creator.
  • mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited August 2022
    Definitely some Tanu/Firvulag vibes from the Empryeans and Py'rai, one of my alts is def going to be a Py'rai
    Torc wrote: »
    The Wild Hunt will rise!

q6qqnbl8udrv.jpg
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Py'rai here too, but I love coastal cities. And the South West coast looks like a place I wanna settle.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Torc wrote: »
    The Wild Hunt will rise!

q6qqnbl8udrv.jpg

I've been online for too long. My mind totally saw that pic in the wrong way.....
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I am very interested in the Py Rai! However it's actually quite difficult to pick a favourite.

I often gravitate to basic humans, I personally just have always found armour generally looks better on them.

That said, the Py Rai just have a really nice aesthetic overall.

Perhaps I might be drawn to the Vek as I have often played trolls in the past.

Alot of the time the race I pick depends on the class I plan to play. Thematically I just pair the two together.

My opinions will definitely change depending on the kind of characters we can make as it looks like all race will have a very healthy level of customisation from what we have seen so far.
  • I will definitely be making one of every race once the character creation comes out and picking one to be my main.

I think the customization options for each race will make or break my decision.
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Torc wrote: »
    The Wild Hunt will rise!

I've been online for too long. My mind totally saw that pic in the wrong way.....

LoL! There's a lot going on, in the image. Certainly, there is a lot of "interesting" interpretations to be had ;)

• I personally love the Py’Rai and will absolutely be playing as one at release. However I’ve noticed a lot of people not liking the design because it isn’t a “traditional” elf.

The problem is the empyreans sound like they will be very popular and they’re starting zone, circled in red, appears to be the adjacent node.

This means we may be put in a disadvantageous position. I’m trying to gauge how many people are interested in playing as a Py’rai and planning to spawn at our starting point to determine if we have a fighting chance or if a group of us should search for a different node to occupy.

If I can make a Py'Rai that looks more like the female concept art I'll be all over it. If not, I'm playing Empyrean.
  • I think that’s definitely the general consensus. the forums are talking a lot about adding glowing tatoos and/or eyes to empyrean which would definitely make me more interested in them. Otherwise I’ll probably stick with Py’rai.